Helmetless Riders- Mtbr.com
    I, Mudd

Helmetless Riders

I've seen more helmetless riders this winter on PMP then I ever have before. Maybe the rocks are softer this year?
    "Because I was profiling and it looked stolen.
    90% of everything in my neighborhood is stolen." - Me

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It's like riding on the sidewalk...take your chances. Personally, unless it messes up my ride, it really doesn't bother me if they fall on their heads around the corner. If they can afford a bike and a car to get to the ride, then not buying a helmet is a choice. Like being mentally retarded after a crash. hehe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding
    It's like riding on the sidewalk...take your chances. Personally, unless it messes up my ride, it really doesn't bother me if they fall on their heads around the corner. If they can afford a bike and a car to get to the ride, then not buying a helmet is a choice. Like being mentally retarded after a crash. hehe.
    You are mean Mr. Speeding.

Legal Stuff
    (no retards were harmed in the posting of this comment)

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I've seen the same at SoMo too. Mostly too cool teens, but some adults as well. Luckily, most of them were traveling in pairs, so I figured one will spill their brains all over the trail, and the other will learn to wear a helmet.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member

Blonde and helmetless

I ran into a very attractive young blonde woman Sunday last on BCT. The section with significant exposure from RST down to the river. Yikes......I asked her why? she simply answered, I don't feel as free without the wind in my hair.

To each his or her own.

Steve

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    I ran into a very attractive young blonde woman Sunday last on BCT. The section with significant exposure from RST down to the river. Yikes......I asked her why? she simply answered, I don't feel as free without the wind in my hair.

To each his or her own.

Steve
    You should have suggested that she try riding shirtless instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Dang.....and here I am thinkin nobody heard me

Steve

meow
    Look at the bright side, they're potential organ donors for those needing transplants.

mtbr member
    It's their head, thier concussion and thier problem not ours.

If they are lying in the trail dead, and I move them out of the way is that trail sanitation or do I just use them as added gnar?
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

"No Clue Crew"

Trust me, be careful what you ask for!!!!! I ask Cenobuns once and now he NEVER rides WITH a shirt .................Drew

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The real question is why you made the request in the first place.

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato
    Look at the bright side, they're potential organ donors for those needing transplants.
    I wish I knew how to add this to my sig. I got a good laugh, thanks.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    I agree with it being a choice, but it should be an educated one. people getting injured on the trail endangers our sport on the whole. Trail closures and bans can happen because of liability and product safety issues. It comes down to choices and consequences, and being responsible and considerate in ones actions. people tend to think "when I ride without a helmet, it only hurts me"
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    I agree with it being a choice, but it should be an educated one. people getting injured on the trail endangers our sport on the whole. Trail closures and bans can happen because of liability and product safety issues. It comes down to choices and consequences, and being responsible and considerate in ones actions. people tend to think "when I ride without a helmet, it only hurts me"

Well said. It is everyone's problem because those of us who do not suffer the immediate consequences of not wearing a lid, suffer the by-products of the consequences of those that do not.

Same old, same old -- the few end up dictating the restrictive laws the rest of us have to live by.

mtbr member
    Lol..., Nice

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    + 1 cstem. While i ride with a helment, i dont care if people ride without.When will big brother stop? I dont ride with armour or gloves but this is my free choice.I never want to be forced into wearing more stuff just to go riding, but thats just me.

Meatbomb
    these days, insurance co. may not honor a claim for injuries in a car accident if you were not wearing a seat belt. I bet they would do the same for a MTB related injury if you were not wearing a helmet. MTB is considered a high risk sport to some co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    these days, insurance co. may not honor a claim for injuries in a car accident if you were not wearing a seat belt. I bet they would do the same for a MTB related injury if you were not wearing a helmet. MTB is considered a high risk sport to some co.
    Never admit to your insurance carrier that you even have a bicycle at all. If you do get injured, tell them you fell off a ladder or something like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    Lew- I see your point and where you are coming from. BUT -Drunk hikers falling off Camelback after a night in Scottsdales bars have not shut that trail down, nor have the snow birds who get plucked off any one of the parks in the valley. It is an argument that holds no water.

I ALWAYS wear a helmet and don't think I would ride with anyone who didn't to be honest. I have had more than one set of brains on my hands and I am not a doctor.

Insurance- they can try to withhold payment if they can prove that you did not take the obvious safety precautions to protect yourself, but without it being law it is just a matter of whose lawyer convinces the jury.

Making it law is a slippery slope. There is no end to that slope and that scares me.

Everyone should try this one on for size. How old is your helmet in years? How many hours do you estimate you have on it? Ever dropped it from say six feet? Ever crash in it and just "scrape" the outside of it? If everyone on here answered those questions- I could make a great argument why 60% of you should replace your helmet with a new one TODAY. Just having a bucket on your head does not guarantee your safety. I won't go further because I don't want to thread-jack, but if anyone has some interest in learning about safety gear- PM me.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by berzerker
    Never admit to your insurance carrier that you even have a bicycle at all. If you do get injured, tell them you fell off a ladder or something like that.

2 people you should never lie too... your doctor and your lawyer. they both need to know the truth to properly help you.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    you think insurance premiums for 29er riders would be 11.5% more due to the height?

mtbr member
    I don't think insurance can withhold $ if your in a car wreck and not wearing your seatbelt.
    Wouldn't they argue then that they won't pay because you ran a red light, or were speeding etc...?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ajmelin
    I don't think insurance can withhold $ if your in a car wreck and not wearing your seatbelt.
    Wouldn't they argue then that they won't pay because you ran a red light, or were speeding etc...?
    The term the adjuster may use is "comparative negligence" .......=( insured) get hosed...

mtbr member

AJ I spoke really briefly with my sis in law who is an insurance adjuster and used to do the big ticket claims-mostly ones that resulted in death or dismemberment. An insurance company has a very good case in court to not pay the insured for thier injuries and vehilce if they are breaking a law-such as a seat belt law. They cannot however deny payment to the other person involved because the insured broke the law.

mtbr member
    Javelina and cstem:
    Interesting stuff. Sounds like the bottom line is the lawyers win in the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    2 people you should never lie too... your doctor and your lawyer. they both need to know the truth to properly help you.
    +1
    It could negatively impact your well being for the rest of your life if you B.S. your doctor ,wrong treatment for an injury that need's orthopaedic care & physical therapy needs specific detail on cause.The lawyers know how to negotiate with doctors and hospitals to get your bills reduced, unfortunately it may cost a bit.It's amazing how much a couple days in the hospital cost and it can easily exceed a policy limit....

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem
    Insurance- they can try to withhold payment if they can prove that you did not take the obvious safety precautions to protect yourself, but without it being law it is just a matter of whose lawyer convinces the jury.
    This is a great point to make. And I'll bet that the insurance company is going to have a MUCH better lawyer that any of us will.

That argument aside I'll take every precaution I can. MTBers NOT wearing a helmet are in the same category as people not wearing their seat belts. It's just God cleaning out the gene pool. I say more people should ride without helmets.

mtbr member
    Javelina and cstem:
    Interesting stuff. Sounds like the bottom line is the lawyers win in the end.
    Yep- moral of the story for me is do my thing and hope for the best until it becomes un-fun then try something else. Luckily- bikes have always been fun!

Shred...it's the new drug
    Helmetless riders spotted on DC this am: was heading towards pima and ran into a group of 6 or 7 riders the last 3 without helmets who look like they needed them the most...the last guy was riding a hardtail, sitting down, leg out down that rocky section after the first climb leaving the lot. I was scared for this guy. Did he refuse to wear a helmet on his friends bike or did his friend not have a helmet for him to wear? I for one never let a buddy ride one of my bikes sans helmets...don't want to be responsible for spilling brains on the desert. Just an observation...

mtbr member

Shirtless Babes Riding: Approved By Land Managers Despite Moratorium

nothing to say about that quote just wasn't ready to be done with the visual....

I saw a dude in his young 20's hitting a hitting pretty stiff dirt jump into a natural gully downhill transition repeatedly without one near Schultz creek... I thought I might be on cleanup duty because he didn't really look that solid on his landings. If he was on clipless his foot planting wouldn't have been able able to save him a few times. I would say too inconsistent to warrant no helmet... his landings looked like I feel mine look and my jumps are crapshoots a lot of the time. My first ride with a full face and I ate it and wrecked the side part of the face. I just said hi though I feel it's not my role to judge others comforts zones unless I am either paid or implicitly in the guide or caregiver position... actually I said looking good! as I literally pictured how I would manage an open skull fracture for the first time. He was hitting them with steam though and he was on a NEXT. (walmart) guess ya never know! 90% whats in the engine not the bike...

I used to lead climb trad and dudes would cruise by me on 3 pitch 5.7 or 5.8's free soloing but they looked smooooooooth.................. not to say they are justified if they have kids they are responsible for etc but they looked comfortably within their skill level. Not that mechanical failure and freak accidents don't happen, my brother is recovering from a cycling wreck from last summer just a fluke downpedal hitting a rock etc sent him flying at high speed.

100% for helmets 98% of the time

grant myself immunity when extremely low traffic and salty sweaty uphill conditions exist for extended periods when the helmet hangs on the bar ready to be tossed on for the descent... not that I haven't had bad wrecks going slowly uphill....but I don't mean climbing waterbars etc.

recently converted to ski snowboard helmet too and love it. witnessed lots of rear head lacerations this winter from young skiers without. Scorpions mostly by ages 8-13 when they start going fast.
    One of these days I'm gonna pull myself together
    Soon as I finish tearin' myself apart