mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Heart Trail Project

Is the Heart trail project back on track? Havenít heard anything about the start date recently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Is the Heart trail project back on track? Havenít heard anything about the start date recently.
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Yes.
    Roger July 28 and August 25. Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Roger July 28 and August 25. Thx
    Nine more days to the first volunteer day. Is Josh going?

The .05 percent
    You should show up, make for a good surprise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Nine more days to the first volunteer day. Is Josh going?

Of course! I can't wait. Little Elden is going to be the focus for the rest of this season since we can't really get going on the Heart Trail until that part is finished and we'd love to get something new opened up before the winter. I'm sure a lot of people aren't as excited about that realignment as much as the Heart but it's going to be some beautiful xc singletrack.

We've been out all spring and summer with our new group The Flagstaff Trail Faeries doing various different projects. You can check it out on the Flagstaff trail Faeries Facebook page if you like. We spent three weeks dialing in the Hobbits Forest switchback section. I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's a fairly challenging but maintainable directional section of trail. Go ride it Doc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    You should show up, make for a good surprise.
    I would love to but I will be in Aruba them honing my kiteboarding skills.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    32 hours and the new Heart reroute should begin. Take lots of pictures to document this great occasion.

mtbr member
    32 hours and the new Heart reroute should begin. Take lots of pictures to document this great occasion.
    Actually it already has begun. But yeah if anyone has a penchant to build new trail it's gonna be sweet. http://flagstaffbiking.org/trail-day...trail-reroute/

Also of note Schultz Creek trail is about to get a significant realignment on the lower end around the rock garden section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We were out yesterday doing some technical rock work for a small feature.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Also of note Schultz Creek trail is about to get a significant realignment on the lower end around the rock garden section.
    Saw a couple of USFS folks up there yesterday working on the new alignment.

-db-

Ahhh the pain....
    Me too... Although I kinda like that little rock garden since it's a challenge on a rigid SS at speed, I look forward to the new alignment.

mtbr member
    They're going to use the old CCC bridge at the 1930s camp to tie the realignment back into Schultz. ACE is starting on the lower end soon. After that there's talk of moving up to Sunset and finally realigning the section between L. Bear and U. Brookbank/Sunset ridge.

Heart Trail Project-rock-garden-reroute1.jpg

Heart Trail Project-rock-garden-reroute2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    After that there's talk of moving up to Sunset and finally realigning the section between L. Bear and U. Brookbank/Sunset ridge.
    This year?

Finally got a chance to ride that same section of Sunset that we worked on just before the closure. Much better!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbflg View Post
    This year?

Finally got a chance to ride that same section of Sunset that we worked on just before the closure. Much better!
    Yes, this year but talk is cheap. On the other hand with an ACE crew helping to knock out Schultz it's do-able. But not sure how they are going to do it without NEPA. That section of Sunset is partially in an MSO PAC. The Schultz work is being done, like the other reroutes, under the premise of protecting Bebb Willow habitat and to lessen creek crossings. IMO, the trail work in May on the fall line section of Sunset put the need for an immediate reroute to bed. If there is that much flexibility let's get started on a new Lower Brookbank, eh.

Ahhh the pain....
    ...let's get started on a new Lower Brookbank, eh.
    YES! Would love the option of a climb from that side that is reasonable on a SS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, this year but talk is cheap. On the other hand with an ACE crew helping to knock out Schultz it's do-able. But not sure how they are going to do it without NEPA. That section of Sunset is partially in an MSO PAC. The Schultz work is being done, like the other reroutes, under the premise of protecting Bebb Willow habitat and to lessen creek crossings. IMO, the trail work in May on the fall line section of Sunset put the need for an immediate reroute to bed. If there is that much flexibility let's get started on a new Lower Brookbank, eh.
    Imho Brookbank and the Sunset reroute section should be basically the same project since the connection for them is going to have to change anyways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Imho Brookbank and the Sunset reroute section should be basically the same project since the connection for them is going to have to change anyways.
    I think the Sunset reroute was mostly wishful thinking by the new Rec staff guy on detail this summer. It's clearly going to require NEPA clearance and at least half of it is smack dab in the middle of an owl PAC. I like your idea of using the most upper part of Weenie's Walk for the upper Brookbank tie-in and running Sunset all the way out to the point. No doubt, none of it 30' corridor but it's what "should" happen.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I think the Sunset reroute was mostly wishful thinking by the new Rec staff guy on detail this summer. It's clearly going to require NEPA clearance and at least half of it is smack dab in the middle of an owl PAC. I like your idea of using the most upper part of Weenie's Walk for the upper Brookbank tie-in and running Sunset all the way out to the point. No doubt, none of it 30' corridor but it's what "should" happen.
    What is the closest a trail can be to a spotted owls nest???

mtbr member
    What is the closest a trail can be to a spotted owls nest???
    Well, that is a good question. The original trail was built in the 80s, some 10 years before the 1995 recovery plan for the Mexican spotted owl. The interesting (or not) is that in the recovery plan trails are considered to have the same impact as roads which is ludicrous. PAC refers to a protected activity center which encompasses the nest and the greater area around it. I have no idea where the nest is. That's double top secret. Not even a FOIA can get that info.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I can just imagine spotted owl experts are out putting nests in the trees to make sure no new reroute is authorized.

mtbr member
    New tread to salivate on.

Heart Trail Project-new-tread.jpg

Fresh canvas.

Heart Trail Project-possibilities.jpg

mtbr member
    New tread to salivate on.
    Love it

How far along is the work and when is the scheduled completion date?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    Love it

How far along is the work and when is the scheduled completion date?
    The Little Elden realignment is about half done with volunteer labor and we are in the process of securing funding to pay a contractor to build Heart. Completion date for all 7.5 miles is hopefully end of next summer.

The first mile of L. Elden from L. Elden Spring (you know your there when you see Black Bart's concrete cistern) is open and the old tread naturalized.

mtbr member
    I raided Raisingarizona's project photo cache for a pixel dump.

Heart Trail Project-le_1.jpg

Heart Trail Project-le_2.jpg

Heart Trail Project-le_3.jpg

Heart Trail Project-le_4.jpg

Heart Trail Project-le_5.jpg

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Nice work to all involved. Looking forward to checking it out. Somehow my tires barely hit any Flagstaff dirt this season. #shameful
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Nice work to all involved. Looking forward to checking it out. Somehow my tires barely hit any Flagstaff dirt this season. #shameful
    Thanks man! It's going to be a real beaut of a ride once everything is completed.