Heads Up - Northern McDowell Sonoran Preserve Closure thru weekend- Mtbr.com
    recovering roadie

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Heads Up - Northern McDowell Sonoran Preserve Closure thru weekend

Here's what's up:

The city of Scottsdale has CLOSED the following trailheads and trails through this weekend:
    Tomís Thumb Trailhead
    Browns Ranch Trailhead
    Granite Mountain Trailhead,
    Fraesfield Trailhead
    Pima/Dynamite Trailhead
    And all neighborhood access points and trails north of Deer Valley road alignment.

Mother Nature has delivered over 7Ē of snow to the northern parts of the Preserve and there is still more falling this morning and it is projected to turn into rain this afternoon. Although a beautiful picture opportunity, there are significant impacts to the Preserve and the Trails due to the cumulative impact of the moisture from the snow and rain and we are therefore closing these areas to allow time for the trails to dry out appropriately.

We will update the closure notice by Monday morning to advise when the northern areas will be reopened.

Trailheads remaining OPEN in the southern area of the Preserve include:
    Gateway Trailhead
    Lost dog Trailhead
    Sunrise Trailhead

Being that this is the internet I'm sure all of you will have strongly worded opinions to share, but keep in mind that the slower rate of moisture seep into the soil from snow creates deeper widespread mud. People riding, hiking, or horse-ing (lol) on this kind of mud will leave a lasting impression, so-to-speak. Anyone familiar with spring riding in Flagstaff or other snowy areas knows what I'm talking about. So head to the other awesome trails around the valley. Thanks.

Meatbomb
    Well done!

yeah, that is the right thing to do.

Although I was hoping to go up Thom's Thumb and throw some snowballs.

recovering roadie
    There were people heading up the hill at Tom's Thumb TH this morning with snowboards and sleds. Seriously. And I saw a photo of a lady with nordic skis at Brown's Ranch. WTF

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    There were people heading up the hill at Tom's Thumb TH this morning with snowboards and sleds. Seriously. And I saw a photo of a lady with nordic skis at Brown's Ranch. WTF
    Hashtag-dichotomy

livin' the dream......
    I took my daughter to see the snow yesterday afternoon, and it was still snowing hard at 5pm in the Legend Trail area, and northeast of that, in the preserve. We parked on a side street off Boulder View drive and walked onto Tonto NF land. The snow was 6-7" deep and super wet. As much as I want to go out there, I am going to let it dry and probably just trail run at Gateway.

We also tied to drive up to the Bartlett turn off, and there were many cars pulled over on both sides of the road with everyone out playing in the snow. PD had the road closed, so I could not get to the ranger station to park. It was absolutely DUMPING at 5pm Friday afternoon. An amazing site for sure.
    '
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka