Hawesfest - Saturday March 18th 10ish to 3ish- Mtbr.com
    Addicted to 2 wheels

Hawesfest - Saturday March 18th 9 to 2ish

Hawesaholics are putting on a fun family friendly mtb event at Hawes. You guys are welcome to come. Post up on this thread if you will be attending as I need to get a head count.

March 18th from 10-3ish at Boulder Park at Las Sendas will be Hawesfest.

What is Hawesfest? That is still in process. Here are some rough ideas I have and I need your help. This event is for the folks that loves Hawes and their families. Kids are invited and we will work to make it fun for them.

Invite whoever you want, but try to share a head count on here. I will post this on MTBR and Crank Yankers. You don't have to be a local to attend.

Group Rides: We want 4-6 Group Rides to go out in the early part of the day. Mellow No Drop ride on lower stuff. An A level ride. Possibly shuttle some folks up to Diamond Point? 2 kids rides (one for experienced, and one for low skilled). I need folks to volunteer to lead these rides. You have a ride idea, post it up. Adults leave around 10, and kids leave around 11.

Bike Games: I have done this with my moto club and it is fun. We will come up with a handful of games. 1. One foot/Last Standing. (All get in a big square and ride around. Last person still pedaling wins.). 2. Obstacle course (A few said they wanted to organize it.) 3. Some kid of drag race (Either on the grass, or through the sand volleyball court). 4. Best trick 5. Best style (Maybe you got a sweet bike, the great kit, a costume, whatever, ...) 6. MTB Soccer? You have an idea and want to run point on it, let me know. You want to organize anything listed above, let me know. Games will be scored and winners will be announced.

Food and Beverage: We could go potluck style. Anyone good at making tasty stuff, especially some big anchor dishes? Post up! Or bring some cash and we can order a bunch of pizza. Anyone want to bring some bottled water? BYOB of course. I thought about a beer sponsor, but that might create a liability issue.

Based on how big this get we might have to deal with trash and some other issues. We will figure that out. Bring a chair and anything else you think will make the event great.

Last, be cool and helpful to everyone who attends.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 03-14-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Hawesfest is 2 weeks out (Saturday, March 18th) at Boulder Park in Las Sendas. There is single track connected to the park.

If you have ideas, bring them soon. If you can help with a food plan, let me know soon. I need to get a pretty solid plan together by next weekend.

10-12 Groups Rides for All Abilities (kids leave 11) Maybe a shuttle to Diamond Point
    12-2 Bike Games for all ages (Obstacle, One foot, Drag Race, Soccer, Best Bike/Style, and ???)
    12-3 Food and Drinks
    Bike Maintenance Demo by Travis at Two Wheel Jones
    2:30 Raffle give away by TWJ, and game results
    And ???

Addicted to 2 wheels
    A couple Hawesfest Updates. (9:00 Start)
    Start time is now 9:00 for rides. Shoot to be back by 11ish for games..
    RSVP and post up if you are going. We have 11 listed now, but I have talked to others that have told me they are going. I am thinking we will at least have 35.
    Bring some food, or some cash to donate for pizza. Eric Kunimura is getting hot dogs for about 35ish. Bring beer if you want, will have water supplied. Anyone want to bring some plates and paper towels?
    Bring a chair! I have tables and music covered.
    Gene Torrisi - Ride leader for A ride from 9-11ish. Solid pace with hills.
    Ernest Paddock or Jeff Wienke - B ride 9-11ish - Mellow pace, not hitting the bigger climbs. I might send them to the new Salt River Maricopa loop.
    Shawn Stenmark - I will lead the beginner level kids ride. This will be flat, and mellow. Park and Ride, some Power, ... I am bringing my 8 year old. Likely ride for an hour then come back to the park and they can play there.
    Two Wheel Jones Maintenance Clinic and a raffle prize
    More to come. Post up . Make some noise about this event.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Hawesfest update:
    Here is the rough game plan. Not sure if we will get through them all. Need to find some creative awards. Will do games from 11ish to 1ish. Rides 9-11ish.
    Sand drag race 5 a time - with semis and a main
    Longest jump
    Twisted curb balance for distance
    How many circles in a minute (Will speed or dizziness win?)
    One foot/Last Man Standing
    Round the bases - Timed clay baseball diamond sprint
    Obstacle course. Cones, side walk chalk, obstacles. DO YOU HAVE ANY OBSTACLES to bring?
    Possible relay slalom course or sand?
    Bike Soccer - shirts vs skins?
    Wheelie longest/progress to style
    There will also be some bike trivia too.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Another Hawesfest Update: Photo Contest
    Photo contest - Hawestfest pic with most likes after a week on the Hawesaholic site will receive a prize. (Group pics, Wildflower pics, action shots, staged shots, crash shots, ...). Must be taken on March 18th and you had to of attended part of Hawesfest.
    Will see if I can get TWJ to offer something up the winner can pick up, or might hit up a local restaurant up for a gift cert?

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Kind of surprised me that we got zero comments on mtbr about this event. I know many of the East folks are on the FB though. I hope you all don't feel I am spamming the site. Purely a free event for the community.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Needs more Sedona drama, apparently!

What tires are best for Hawesfest?

;-)

Watching on FB...and will see you tomorrow AM!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    How about this?

Hawesfest riders will enjoy riding water saturated trails, full of booby traps, while not yielding for others going down hill, or hikers, all the while listening to ear buds without helmets, with all our horse friends.

Best tires for Hawesfest? That is easy. http://media.nbcbayarea.com/images/652*695/fat+tire.jpg

Meatbomb
    I suggest starting as early as possible. Going to be a scorcher tomorrow.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    It will be 90 by 1:00 and we should be wrapping up most bike stuff by then. That's hot? Where are you from, the Midwest? California?