mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hawes/SOMO XC Friday, anyone?

I have to drop my wife off at the airport Friday around 10:30, so I thought I would take the bike along and try SOMO for the first time.

Anyone game to ride some XCish to light AM (I usually ride Cave Creek and looking for similar, that I can handle on my 26" aluminum hardtail) stuff out there around 11-11:30 Friday?

If not, anyone have a recommended route to ride? I know nothing about the area, so a place to park and a 10-15 mile route would be most helpful.

Anyone who wants to ride, let me know. I will bring enough beer (since it won't be morning when we finish, lol) for all.
    Last edited by pointerDixie214; 11-16-2011 at 10:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    OK, after looking at reviews and such, I am throwing Hawes into the possibility list as well, as I have heard that is some awesome XC riding... anyone game to go there? The beer offer is still on the table.

How much further ???
    Tempting. Wonder how I can get out of work.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds like you have a cold coming on.

I should add, I am a good rider, but not the fastest. And being the first time on a new trail I'll bring my GoPro and stop to take photos and such...

How much further ???
    True sniff sniff.... My boss is out on vacation Friday so you have me thinking. I think you would have a good time at Hawes. I really dont know how good of a rider I am but I always have a good time and pace fast or slow has never bothered me. Stopping to take in the desert is part of the experience. Put me down as a maybe. Ill have to see how things shape up at work tomorrow.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds perfect! Unless I am getting ready for a race, I always prefer a good enough pace to get a workout, but lax enough to actually take in the scenery so I know I am not on a stationary bike with boring walls to look at. Lemme know...

Ryan 352 six seven two 1963

How much further ???
    Im in. Got around that pesky work issue. What time do you want to start? We can meet at the Walgreens at Power and Thomas Rd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Great! Giving you a call now...

EDR
    Hey I can't make it tomorrow but be sure to head up over and down Mine trail. It's a cool addition to the lower-land trails Hawes offers.

how much for your sister
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Im in. Got around that pesky work issue. What time do you want to start? We can meet at the Walgreens at Power and Thomas Rd.
    I gotta get a ride in earlier tomorrow. Let me know what and if you're riding this weekend.
    Maybe some k trail?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    I gotta get a ride in earlier tomorrow. Let me know what and if you're riding this weekend.
    Maybe some k trail?
    I know you weren't talking to me but me and a few Brits are hitting up Pass Mtn Saturday if you (or anyone) is interested.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnio View Post
    Maybe some k trail?
    Id like to get in 1 more ride either Saturday or Sunday. You have my cell right? Id be up for Hawes, K-trail, or Pass. Let me know.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    since its right out my door (power & redmont), i can usually find time to race around hawes on any given afternoon,, usually starting around 4-4:30 till its too dark to see.

edit: scratch this afternoon,, still getting my butt kicked with website orders...
    Last edited by longhairmike; 11-18-2011 at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Wasn't thinking I would be able to make it but it came together so I just hit the Walgreens at about 11 to see if I would run into any of you guys....no dice but had a great ride......Hawes is just one of the funnest around. My detail for the days ride:

Hawes From Walgreens by cjaghblb at Garmin Connect - Details

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank you Doug for showing me around Hawes... that trail whooped my 1x9 riding butt in parts, and I racked myself twice real good but I still had a blast riding great trail, in good company, combined with 32 ox. Black Butte Porters afterwords.... it's a good day tater.

Vitamin Bike Added
    Guys, three of us riding Hawes tomorrow afternoon around 3PM if anyone wants to join. Shoot me a text if you'd like to meet us out there. Looking for an average pace, we're just weekend warriors who ride as hard as a weekend warrior can. Cheers.

608-five-zero-nine-6.2.zero.8

-John
    Keep the rubber side down

How much further ???
    Hey you bet. Glad it worked out. Great day for riding and beers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Video from yesterday's ride...

Yes, I edited out all the rear tire slippings (1x9 drivetrain, gear was too hard to climb in saddle, the second I stood up I lost the back. Happened probably 5-6 times) and one of the rackings.

The time in the video that I crashed was because I was behind my seat for the downhill, then couldn't get back up over it and my huevos got rammed up under the back of the seat. Things are a little tender today. lol

Now out to ride Cave Creek today and BCT tomorrow!