Hawes noob- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hawes noob

Meatbomb

Hawes noob

I'm thinking about heading out to Hawes soon... Can anyone layout a good route for a noob... say about 10 miles without a lot of climbing ( I have a feeling you guy's idea of a lot of climbing and mine are vastly different at this point in time) because i suck at it right now. ...

I promise not to follow anyone too close

dirt visionary
    Its all good just go,ride and explore!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    And, no matter the route, there's gonna be climbing.

Meatbomb
    climbing is fine ... 'cardiac hill' I'd like to avoid

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    You might be surprised. Cardiac hill was not that bad. There are steeper and rougher climbs at SOMO and North Mountain Park. Give it a chance!
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

parenting for gnarness
    if my 8-month prego wife can climb it... its only about 200 vf in about .5 miles. The proper name is Mudflaps, anything named Cardiac needs to be longer. It will take you about 8 minutes if you're pushing, less than 5 if you are riding solidly. Hawes is all up and down but never very long. Short of going from the Walgreens all the way up Tower Trail which is about 800 vf in 5 miles, there arent any sustained climbs. Go in the main entrance at the crest of Power road, and just work your way ccw and up around, using the foothills and Power as the edges of your loop. There are a bunch of forks, but without a map my descriptions will just confuse you. Don't head to the Towers, don't head to 4 Peaks via Twisted Sister, and you will always be on the main loop. You can split off and avoid the Mine trail, or go up it and continue in a generally ccw loop back to your car. Its all ridable in both directions. search the forum for maps I've seen plenty of them.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

dirt visionary
    I never understood the term cardiac hill . I too have always know it as Mudflaps. Took me a few times to clear but I got it .Hardest part was poping up the front and rear to get over the flaps .And that was on a 8year old 38lb FS from target When I got my next bike an ironhorse sinister it was alot easier.....Man now that I think of it I have ridden 7 different bikes I've owned out there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    if my 8-month prego wife can climb it... its only about 200 vf in about .5 miles. The proper name is Mudflaps, anything named Cardiac needs to be longer. It will take you about 8 minutes if you're pushing, less than 5 if you are riding solidly. Hawes is all up and down but never very long. Short of going from the Walgreens all the way up Tower Trail which is about 800 vf in 5 miles, there arent any sustained climbs. Go in the main entrance at the crest of Power road, and just work your way ccw and up around, using the foothills and Power as the edges of your loop. There are a bunch of forks, but without a map my descriptions will just confuse you. Don't head to the Towers, don't head to 4 Peaks via Twisted Sister, and you will always be on the main loop. You can split off and avoid the Mine trail, or go up it and continue in a generally ccw loop back to your car. Its all ridable in both directions. search the forum for maps I've seen plenty of them.

Thanks....

Hawes Junkie
    I'll be there 7am at the Walgreen's-FIP at 7:15 if you wanna join.

JohnniO
    You've been on MTBR for 4-5 years. You are not a noob.

Meatbomb
    I've never ridden Hawes so as stated , I am a Hawes noob.

Saucy Size
    I really like taking new Hawes riders on the outer loop of trails, excluding the Mine Loop the first time. That gives you Mudflaps, Saguaro, all the cool, narrow against-the-hill trails, lots of little climbs, the switchbacks!, and so on. Do you have a map available?

p.

Meatbomb
    I do ... Senior Cholla sent me a map.

Do I take Big Saguaro to bypass Mine ? What is wrong with Mine ?

Saucy Size
    Nothing's wrong with Mine! It's awesome! It's just not the first place I take people when I take noobs. If you turn left instead of right at the "T" at the bottom of Mine, that puts you on a really fun, fast bit of singletrack that winds around one of the hills down lower. I can't remember what it's called.

If you've got the juice, Mine is a really pretty trail up there. Highest recommendation.

p.

parenting for gnarness
    I do ... Senior Cholla sent me a map.

Do I take Big Saguaro to bypass Mine ? What is wrong with Mine ?
    Mine trail rocks, its fun like Sunrise. difficulty is probably comparable, but shorter.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    If you turn left instead of right at the "T" at the bottom of Mine, that puts you on a really fun, fast bit of singletrack that winds around one of the hills down lower. I can't remember what it's called.

If it's the one with the red-rock, that's ridge.

Meatbomb
    I take it everything is well marked out there....

Thanks for the info !

My other ride is your mom
    post up if you want to ride, I'm out there most days except powder days

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    If it's the one with the red-rock, that's ridge.
    That's the one. If you take Mine, it's hard to get to Ridge. Sort of. I mean, you can get there going backwards but it puts you in a weird place on trail, ultimately.

Phillbo: The only spot I've ever had anyone get confused on is when they come off Mine Trail and they're just bombing like mad. It's super-easy to miss the hard left turn that takes you back into the basin. If you miss it you end up on Power Road, way down by the dam. I don't think there's a sign or anything, you just have to know when to turn.

p.

Members who have read this thread: 0