Hawes Mine Trail, awesome fun- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Hawes Mine Trail, awesome fun

So I finally worked up some courage and tried the Hawes mine trail this weekend. Something was wonky with my little ring, so I couldn't quite get up all the climb I hiked at least 1 little steep section. (we rode it counter clockwise, i couldn't imagine it the other way)

Man what a fun time on the way down. There were definitely some tech spots, but i just leaned back and let the suspension do the work.

I think next time I'll add the twisted sister down and back, how is that trail in comparison to the mine trail?

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    So I finally worked up some courage and tried the Hawes mine trail this weekend. Something was wonky with my little ring, so I couldn't quite get up all the climb I hiked at least 1 little steep section. (we rode it counter clockwise, i couldn't imagine it the other way)

Man what a fun time on the way down. There were definitely some tech spots, but i just leaned back and let the suspension do the work.

I think next time I'll add the twisted sister down and back, how is that trail in comparison to the mine trail?
    Twisted Sister is a breeze. Fun, twisty, non technical. Good to take that section all the way over and across the "horse trail" then back, for some added miles and speed training.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Twisted Sister is a breeze. Fun, twisty, non technical.
    HA! no way!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    HA! no way!
    Well I suppose I shouldn't make it sound like Pemberton. But compared to some of the other stuff around, and for ME, compared to the back side of Mine, I think it's a breeze. Mine is my nemesis; I blow at switchbacks that have old mines waiting to swallow you up if you tumble. Plus that little posted sign of a person tumbling, combined with the word DANGER, in English AND Spanish, messes with my psyche.

But if this person enjoyed Mine, I don't think TS is going to pose any threat, or as much excitement, for that matter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    CoyoteKis, Haha. I know what you mean! I didn't really even realize there was a mine shaft on that one switchback until I had already made it down. There is a bit of room there, but if you take a tumble and go more than about 3' past the switch back, it might be game over.

Are there other mine's waiting to swallow riders on the backside of the mine trail?

I'll definitely check out Twisted Sister and maybe the horse trail. Will need to get in better climbing shape. haha.

im4Gsus
    haha! i did (walked, mostly) the mine trail ONCE. that was 'nuff for me. never EVER again! i'm a wuss and proud of it! my idea of fun is not walking my bike or "peligro" - facing eminent death.

i did (walked some) twisted sister once. when it cools down i'll try it again cuz big rock and wild horse were a lot of fun for ME and what i consider fun

ain't it grand there's something out there for all of us?!
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Well I suppose I shouldn't make it sound like Pemberton. But compared to some of the other stuff around, and for ME, compared to the back side of Mine, I think it's a breeze. Mine is my nemesis; I blow at switchbacks that have old mines waiting to swallow you up if you tumble. Plus that little posted sign of a person tumbling, combined with the word DANGER, in English AND Spanish, messes with my psyche.

But if this person enjoyed Mine, I don't think TS is going to pose any threat, or as much excitement, for that matter.
    Yah... I ended up hike a biking a lots of that stuff as it climbs up the mountain but never saw the sign, that probably woulda pushed me over the edge.

EDR
    Years ago that hole was much, much deeper and cholla cactus grew at the bottom. It was known as the "Cholla Pit of Death", at least to me and my friends, lol.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    CoyoteKis, Haha. I know what you mean! I didn't really even realize there was a mine shaft on that one switchback until I had already made it down. There is a bit of room there, but if you take a tumble and go more than about 3' past the switch back, it might be game over.

Are there other mine's waiting to swallow riders on the backside of the mine trail?

I'll definitely check out Twisted Sister and maybe the horse trail. Will need to get in better climbing shape. haha.
    There are a couple of mines, but that's the only one that seems to be waiting with an open mouth and sharp teeth. I'm convinced I'm going to land in it, hear a rumble as it begins to collapse, and then BAM; I'm underground and in that movie, "The Descent".

mtbr member
    Which is the best way to take the mine trail? CW or CCW? I've never been on it but I have been wanting to for quite a while now. Also, if you take Twisted Sister down and continue to the Wild Horse towards Usery, is that all uphill in that direction?

mtbr member
    The Mine trail is fun.
    I've ridden it a few times, the last time I think was on my Fat Chance HT. That was...interesting.

One of the best rides was starting at Walgreens, riding Hawes trails through to NRA, then back and down the Mine trail. On FR bikes. At night. It was cold. That was fun though.

Man, I need to get out there again.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro
    Which is the best way to take the mine trail? CW or CCW? I've never been on it but I have been wanting to for quite a while now. Also, if you take Twisted Sister down and continue to the Wild Horse towards Usery, is that all uphill in that direction?
    CCW! I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually RIDE up it the other way, and in addition, anyone coming the opposite way typically gets run over.

As to Wild Horse, once you're out of that mini-pit and you take the right turn to head towards Usery, yes, it's uphill, but it's very, very slight. An easy grind, and good workout if you push the pace. But the reward is in flipping it; coming back the opposite way is a blast. It's fast, dusty, and slippery.

I am Walt
    CCW! I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually RIDE up it the other way, and in addition, anyone coming the opposite way typically gets run over.
    See below...rounding the second-to-last switchback while riding UP the other way...on the SS!

But the reward is in flipping it
    It sure is!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    See below...rounding the second-to-last switchback while riding UP the other way...on the SS!

It sure is!!
    Yeah, yeah.... but how far did you GET? I'm thinking you looked like you were about to stall. Not that you've ever stalled when I'M around. But that picture looks mighty questionable.

I am Walt
    Yeah, yeah.... but how far did you GET? I'm thinking you looked like you were about to stall. Not that you've ever stalled when I'M around. But that picture looks mighty questionable.
    Oh, I made that...had to walk two spots lower-down (the rock-drop spot and midway down past it), but made most of it. It is actually not quite as hard as one might think, if you set your mind to it...and like a bit of suffering...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    That is nuts. From what i remember there was a couple nice drops/rocks right before you get to the mine pit while descending. You clear all that too on the SS?

0% chance I could ride up that right now.

I love bike!
    First time I rode mine trail was clockwise when I first started riding MTB Let's just say that wasn't too pleasant for a noob and not in very good shape. I've since tried it a couple other times and it's still quite a haul IMO. Quite a different perspective on the grind up and a couple spots that are a biatch but all cleanable (not by me yet tho).

Definately think CCW has a much bigger grin factor

Anyone actually clean the entire switchbacks section going up on the saddleback trail south of mine? I've come close but think I ran out of gas on the last turn before the first drop in when you come down. Would like to start working on getting up that rock garden section offshoot too. Tried it a handfull of times and it's tough I think mostly due to the right turn approach.

aka Diesel
    ......and I like a bit of suffering...
    Grand. I'll inform The Gimp.
    As to making it, I'm not surprised. You're too strong for your own good. And setting your MIND to it has nothing to do with brute strength. You, Tarzan, me, Jane. But now that you've said you can do it, you're going to have to prove it on your NEW NINER *woot*, when we ride Wednesday.

I'll have a camera- better not dab.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Anyone actually clean the entire switchbacks section going up on the saddleback trail south of mine?
    Paging SurfNDav!! I happen to know that he can do eet! That's another section that baffles me, when I see people going UP it instead of down. Where's the "weeeee" factor??

I am Walt
    Grand. I'll inform The Gimp.
    As to making it, I'm not surprised. You're too strong for your own good. And setting your MIND to it has nothing to do with brute strength. You, Tarzan, me, Jane. But now that you've said you can do it, you're going to have to prove it on your NEW NINER *woot*, when we ride Wednesday.

I'll have a camera- better not dab.
    It's on, then! And I won't even complain about my current 18T vs. the 20T I was running when that picture was taken...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sounds like I need to try this trail then! I've only been out to Hawes 3 or 4 times and everytime I just followed someone so I don't know my way out there too well. Plus, the trail maps are deceiving when it comes to distances. I think I might get out there this weekend... the temps are forecasted to be pretty low (relatively speaking)!

If anyone is thinking of heading out there this weekend, let me know and maybe we can ride together. I must warn you though, I'm a little slow on the climbs and not in crazy shape either but I can manage.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The grin factor is higher on Mine CCW for sure. The suffer factor, clearly, is opposite. I think the first time I rode out there I rode Mine CW and learned a lesson or two.

mtbr member
    yeah, a couple weeks ago a guy passed doing the mine clockwise as i was resting at the twisted sister trailhead. i shredded on and after i came up out of the big wash you go through after finishing the down part of mine, i ran into the same guy going for a second clockwise lap. must be part beast.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Years ago that hole was much, much deeper and cholla cactus grew at the bottom. It was known as the "Cholla Pit of Death", at least to me and my friends, lol.
    Yep...back before the turn was short-cut, the switchback had the mineshaft on the INSIDE of the turn. You got to stare down into the colla pit as you rode the corner.

Where is this danger sign??? Rode that trail 2wks ago and didn't notice it.

LOVE that decent down the backside of mine! So fast. Tried climbing it a few times. So not fast!

EDR
    Where is this danger sign??? Rode that trail 2wks ago and didn't notice it.
    I've seen multiple versions of 'danger' signs out there. A couple years ago they put up orange construction fencing, the mesh kind, around the pit......and danger signs. That didn't last long, lol.

I've also noticed that there is a new 'high' line into the pit switchback. It takes you up several feet over the existing trail and drops in kinda steep to the pit, but makes the switchback easier, I guess. I did not bother with it as it's a line that should just go away.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Paging SurfNDav!! I happen to know that he can do eet! That's another section that baffles me, when I see people going UP it instead of down. Where's the "weeeee" factor??
    No weeeee factor on the way up, you'll get that after the turn around. I haven't been able to clean the section (in the up direction) for awhile now. It's gotten so loose and sandy that it's impossible for me. Maybe when the monsoons get here we'll get some rain and things will change. I think we're running out of monsoon season so that may not happen.

I did ride the Mine Trail in the uphill clockwise direction the other day for the first time, and like Walt said, I found it easier than I thought it would be. I had to walk 3 or 4 short sections, but with some work I'm sure it could be done, but it won't be easy.
    Last edited by surfndav; 09-02-2009 at 11:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ^^^ Yeah, I noticed that new "high line" about 4-6 wks ago??? That day, the "normal" line even had number of rocks laid into it as if it was being blocked off for some reason. I was already committing to the turn, so didn't really have time to stop and think about it until after finishing the normal line...so never even looked up at the high line.

When I rode the trail a couple weeks ago, the rocks in the normal line were removed, so just rode it as usual and didn't consider going higher at all.

parenting for gnarness

I've also noticed that there is a new 'high' line into the pit switchback. It takes you up several feet over the existing trail and drops in kinda steep to the pit,
    where is this? not picturing it.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

My other ride is your mom
    Al took the line last time I rode mine with him....he can show you

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I never saw a high line either, but I didn't see any rocks that would significantly prevent me from riding the normal trail. From what I remember, it was a pretty straight forward switchback with nothing to crazy, unless you went long of course. haha.

I love bike!
    Yeah there's definately a high side you can take which I've never thought about attempting. The "trail" is actually pretty wide in this area. Kinda like a wall ride or berm.

mtbr member
    the high line that is being spoken of here is as you aproach that switchback heading east on the north side as you descend down toward bush highway, not too far from the actual 180 degree switch-back to the west. if you look close, you can see the trail off-ramp to the right just ever so slightly and as you start to drop a little, it stays up there about mmm, maybe 8 or ten feet?. instead of cranking the bars to turn back west, the high line is more of a steep drop to the turn.
    the truth of the matter is it's not something new. in fact it is very old . that little piece of trail is the original line. the lower line was created later by trail groomers who wanted less tech! fun-on!

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    the high line that is being spoken of here is as you aproach that switchback heading east on the north side as you descend down toward bush highway, not too far from the actual 180 degree switch-back to the west. if you look close, you can see the trail off-ramp to the right just ever so slightly and as you start to drop a little, it stays up there about mmm, maybe 8 or ten feet?. instead of cranking the bars to turn back west, the high line is more of a steep drop to the turn.
    the truth of the matter is it's not something new. in fact it is very old . that little piece of trail is the original line. the lower line was created later by trail groomers who wanted less tech! fun-on!

I noticed the line about a year ago, I can only think of one time I haven't taken it since. That was after a crashed and I was taking it easy, cause it’s scary/hairy. The line just to get onto the upper turn can be a bit shaky on its own, and once you make the turn it's very steep and it shoots you fast into the loose rutted area just below much faster than if you take the lower line. It adds just the right amount of pucker factor for me

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    where is this? not picturing it.
    It's around the 2:55 mark in this video.

from azmikew on Vimeo.

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    Exactly.

Way to ride the (original) high line Mikey!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    yeah surf'ndave, that drop was claiming lots of riders back in the day. there used to not be any kind of a berm at all to help with the turn. sounds like you've got it dialed though. sweeet!

EDR
    Well then, if it's the original line I don't remember it being that way, but I've only been riding out there about 5 years.

If it's more techy then lets establish it back the way it was. Just from passing it a few times though I got the feeling it was the 'easier' way, just b/c it lessens the switchback factor, to a degree. What makes the turn hard either way is the severely rutted out section that follows. It's usually super loose and just not in good shape.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by BullitTom
    Yep...back before the turn was short-cut, the switchback had the mineshaft on the INSIDE of the turn. You got to stare down into the colla pit as you rode the corner.
    When I started riding out there in the mid 90's the line was up and around the mine on the backside. It was very intimidating.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=eatdrinkride]Well then, if it's the original line I don't remember it being that way, but I've only been riding out there about 5 years.

I dont recall when it was changed, but it was some time between the time you started riding there and 12 years ago when i started rolling hawes.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    cant believe i never saw it before. its fun, basically the same move, but a little harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Oh, I made that...had to walk two spots lower-down (the rock-drop spot and midway down past it), but made most of it. It is actually not quite as hard as one might think, if you set your mind to it...and like a bit of suffering...
    Yep, going backwards keeps that trail interesting , I can generally clean it all climbing it -----I do like riding hawes but its like mmp -----just flowing smooth xc stuff, ----
    not really my cup of tea.

Its a great work out , but I prefer somo or Pass mountain .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hah...a few other old timers, I see! Right on. Been riding Hawes for 15 - 16 yrs and there's a lot of changes since back then.

I still can't recall the high line being at all prominant/ridden in a long, long, long time...which is why I thought it was "new". Will have to give it a try again.

Funny to hear it being called the tech line, as cutting the turn to the inside of the pit was done/started apparently by persons wanting to make the turn easier than the real original line...the one that went around the pit as opposed to cutting down in ffront of it. It still can be a tricky turn, but IMHO it's got nowhere near the "fear factor" it used to.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    All this Mine talk I went out and did the loop from Walgreens all CCW this morning. Good times. It's super-loose out there now and some parts of the descent seem sketchier than I remember from last time I was out there. Still great fun coming down.

There's a lot of stuff I like at Hawes, the big switchbacks, the flow on the backside of Mudflaps, etc., but coming down Mine CCW is probably the best.

Hawes is getting looser and looser by the day because of the "nonsoon" season we've had....it amazes me how sketchy portions of the trail are getting relative to previous weeks....and even last year at this time. The sand is getting deeper....but at least we're not dealing with the monster crevasses created on the trails due to last years deluge of the week.....you all remember the Hawes river and the class 1 rapids????? Ohh....those were the days....

pedaller
    you all remember the Hawes river and the class 1 rapids????? Ohh....those were the days....
    This weekend maybe???
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

having some tac out there would be nice....I've nearly forgotten what its like to rail around a corner amongst the saguaro....started to think I could only find it in the pines....descending these days in some areas has been like driving my SUV down from Wolf Creek pass when it's sh!ttin snow

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    having some tac out there would be nice....I've nearly forgotten what its like to rail around a corner amongst the saguaro....started to think I could only find it in the pines....descending these days in some areas has been like driving my SUV down from Wolf Creek pass when it's sh!ttin snow
    i took the 26r out last night with about 28psi, running brand new exiwolves. Traction was pretty good. Tons of gravel kept getting tossed into my drive train with the sticky tires.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    All this Mine talk I went out and did the loop from Walgreens all CCW this morning. Good times. It's super-loose out there now and some parts of the descent seem sketchier than I remember from last time I was out there. Still great fun coming down.

There's a lot of stuff I like at Hawes, the big switchbacks, the flow on the backside of Mudflaps, etc., but coming down Mine CCW is probably the best.
    I should of been there! Maybe by the end of the day I'll have all my issues figured out........and the bike working as well

Dave

Last night

YEah it sure was dry last night Jason. I too had lower tire pressure than normal. And I made all of those climbs except that little one when I started to lead and then fell all the way to the back. Reminded me of my racing year.
    Good night though first time I had done the Mine at night. Its much easier at night. IMO.

Great times,
    Sorry you missed us James. Havent seen you in awhile
    I need to ride more and work less.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    YEah it sure was dry last night Jason. I too had lower tire pressure than normal. And I made all of those climbs except that little one when I started to lead and then fell all the way to the back. Reminded me of my racing year.
    Good night though first time I had done the Mine at night. Its much easier at night. IMO.

Great times,
    Sorry you missed us James. Havent seen you in awhile
    that hill is sneaky cause you come off a fast descent, then scrub your speed in the wash, its easy to be in the wrong gear. Thanks for putting up with us - we were going hard last night for some reason.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    that hill is sneaky cause you come off a fast descent, then scrub your speed in the wash, its easy to be in the wrong gear.

"Thanks for putting up with us - we were going hard last night for some reason."
    Well thanks for that you just made me feel much better. I thought I was slogging it last night.
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey

from azmikew on Vimeo.

this looks like so much fun how do you get there?
    President / Founder ASU Mountain Bike Club

mtbr member
    I'm going to be riding the mine trail for the first time this Saturday morning. Any tips? I usually start from Walgreens and head up on the trail on the east side of the canal towards the main trails.

Also, what are the Mudflaps? I keep hearing about it and other names I don't recognize (can't think of them now).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    When I rode, i did this way:

Walgreens -> las sendas side trail -> Hawes Trail -> Saguaro Trail (Mine) -> Granite Trail -> Ridge Trail -> Hawes trail -> back to las sendas and walgreens. Was about 9 or 10 miles, slow pace took maybe 1.5 hours with breaks and what not.

The descent on the mine has a bit of exposure, but nothing crazy. A couple narrow spots and a couple of rollable drops. Backside of mine was fun. Nice and fast. The ridge trail heading west from granite was nice and fun as well.

have fun.

mtbr member
    Cool, I'll give that loop a try on Saturday. When you say the backside of mine, you're talking about Twisted Sister down to Bush hwy? I've been wanting to try that one too!

Looks like the weather forecast will be fantastic this weekend with highs in the mid 90s!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    No, i never took twisted sister. I just mean the part of the trail where you ac climb up to the highest point and start descending through the mines/switchbacks. I thought someone else referred to it as the backside, so i was just blindly following. haha.

If you go down twisted sister, you'll have to come back up twisted sister as it doesn't connect to anything but bush highway, or usery road.

EDR
    If you go down twisted sister, you'll have to come back up twisted sister as it doesn't connect to anything but bush highway, or usery road.
    Or........you can take the super secret old singletrack south to just before the firing range, take the highway a few hundred yards to the microwave tower road, up that road, then down Hawes.... btw that road ride up to the towers blows, haha.

mtbr member
    super secret old singletrack south to just before the firing range, .
    I have looked for this singletrack and not found it. Any clues???

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by EZSHUM_331
    I have looked for this singletrack and not found it. Any clues???
    The singletrack I found was really old and at times hard to follow. But it's there. I'll see if I have a gps track of that day. At any rate I just explored south of the PIT area and came upon it.

parenting for gnarness
    The singletrack I found was really old and at times hard to follow. But it's there. I'll see if I have a gps track of that day. At any rate I just explored south of the PIT area and came upon it.
    i tried to ride it the other day from the Horse Staging Area to the pit. the ribbons are really faded and its hard to follow. It leaves from top of the b line in the pit, but probably hard to follow there too.

At this time of year, its nothing special. In winter when it was green, it was very cool to follow a brand new\hardly cut line. Now its just like rolling through the desert.

speaking of rolling....I'm gonna rail the snot out of Hawes tomorrow before the sun starts steming those nice, wet trails. I'm sure it's gonna be rutted after the deluge we just had....yummy!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm going to be riding the mine trail for the first time this Saturday morning. Any tips? I usually start from Walgreens and head up on the trail on the east side of the canal towards the main trails.

Also, what are the Mudflaps? I keep hearing about it and other names I don't recognize (can't think of them now).
    Because I'm old and slow, and enjoy gravity working for me as much as possible, here's the way I've been going lately:

From Walgreens -> up to top of Hawes thru Las Sendas neighborhood -> down Hawes to Saddleback/Saguaro (the one that leads to the switchbacks) -> take that a hundered yds or so to Ghostrider/Secert Trails (both sections) -> pop back out on Saddleback and continue down switchbacks to the "T" -> then turn right and go up and over/around Mine.

When finished with Mine, the options are open again, depending on how tired you might be. Can head right and run Ridge down/out to Power. Turn left and head back "up" ridge for a bit to the 4-way intersection. If tired, shoot from there back towards that trail behind the houses, East of the canal and parallel to Power. Or go back towards Saddleback and up to main Hawes trail. Descend Hawes (do this and you'll figure out what the "Mudflaps are!) to wherever you want.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by azwilder
    this looks like so much fun how do you get there?
    To Hawes, or the section of trail he was riding? If Hawes, PM me, and I will give you directions from wherever.

mtbr member
    To Hawes, or the section of trail he was riding? .
    Clearly the directions are to follow my birthing hips!
    b

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Clearly the directions are to follow my birthing hips!
    Birthing hips? Only thing you've given birth to lately, is this HUUUUUUUGE EGO of yours now that you can rock the SS. Are you going to name it, already? hehe (okay, to be fair, you've earned the bragging rights.)

mtbr member
    Birthing hips? Only thing you've given birth to lately, is this HUUUUUUUGE EGO of yours now that you can rock the SS. Are you going to name it, already? hehe (okay, to be fair, you've earned the bragging rights.)
    yes my MASSIVE EGO has a name.

you being fair??? you're just sucking up now that I kicked your little butt at your own SS game. "REALLY?!?!"
    b

aka Diesel
    yes my MASSIVE EGO has a name.

you being fair??? you're just sucking up now that I kicked your little butt at your own SS game. "REALLY?!?!"
    Such a smack talker. Where's the gratitude? The respect? The blessings upon me and my ancestors, for getting you to vibe with your SS?!? I liked you better when you were on squish. But what can I expect, from somebody who won't agree to a 29er.

mtbr member
    Such a smack talker. Where's the gratitude? The respect? The blessings upon me and my ancestors, for getting you to vibe with your SS?!? I liked you better when you were on squish. But what can I expect, from somebody who won't agree to a 29er.

Don't you mean someone who will not bow to your every demand?? =)
    b

aka Diesel
    Don't you mean someone who will not bow to your every demand?? =)
    Yes. lol
    Like that's a bad thing?
    My work is done here. Go flex your calf muscles in the mirror, and leave me be.

*sore loser*

mtbr member
    Yes. lol
    Like that's a bad thing?
    My work is done here. Go flex your calf muscles in the mirror, and leave me be.

*sore loser*

I'll take pictures and send them to you so that you can swoon.
    b

It's a slugfest!

Hawes/Mine this morning...

..It was sweet and tacky, but you could tell it really got dumped on in last nights rainstorm. Hawes drains well though and the only drawback to this mornings ride was the freakin' humidity!!!!

Gully was running (took a pic of it but it was blurry so I'm not postin') and that meant 2 water crossings for us.

Here's a vid clip of Jimbo taking the "high line" on the mine trail s/b (a little different point of view than Az Mikey's helmet cam) that seems to have received a lot of attention in this thread... plus a couple of other pics from this mornings ride. If you look closely at the trail, you can get a pretty good understanding of the amount of water Hawes received yesterday.

Climbing was a dream...well....still pretty much a nightmare for me.....but more of a cross between a dream and nightmare....

from Steve Connolly on Vimeo.

Attached Images Attached Images
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

did the full loop to include the STFU loop with an out n back on twisted to the big pebble......lost 2.6 lbs of water weight between 6:40 and 8:30....not as rutted as I would have thought but damn was it humid...slowest ride I've taken out there in a while...I'm not complaining though...sent twisted for the 1st time....cleaned the last section which always give me fits....yea me!

RHRF!

But, He's riding your bike...!

...that's like letting him use your underwear and then putting them right back on after he gives them back!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

It's a slugfest!

Not so, amigo.....

Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    ...that's your bike!
    Watch the video again....only click on the arrows on the bottom right to expand to full screen...

My bike has no hydro-formed tubing....

The underwear comment made me uncomfortable....
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

RHRF!

You are correct...

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Watch the video again....only click on the arrows on the bottom right to expand to full screen...

My bike has no hydro-formed tubing....

The underwear comment made me uncomfortable....

...and so I 'retract' that underwear statement... until next time.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    did the full loop to include the STFU loop with an out n back on twisted to the big pebble......lost 2.6 lbs of water weight between 6:40 and 8:30....not as rutted as I would have thought but damn was it humid...slowest ride I've taken out there in a while...I'm not complaining though...sent twisted for the 1st time....cleaned the last section which always give me fits....yea me!
    Cool.

I went out there at 8:45 this morning, didn't finish up till 11am Did Mine Trail as well as rode up Mudflaps and the secret trail.

Was that you that passed by me (going the wrong way, haha) at the lookout on Mudflaps? One guy was rocking purple/yellow jersey on a silver bike and the dude that followed was making all kinds of weird grunting noises........on the way down MF. Sounded like he was wounded.

mtbr member
    I'll be out there Sunday morning at 7:30 at Walgreens... hopefully the trails will be in good condition!

mtbr member
    Trails were great this morning! A little rutted in some spots from the water and I was hoping for the cloud cover to stay around like yesterday but it got hot pretty quick.

Finally rode the Mine trail... it is definitely a lot of fun and a little tricky in quite a few spots. I can't wait to try Twisted Sister one of these days.

Anyone know the history of the mines up on that hill? I noticed a lot of quartz rocks and outcroppings so I'm assuming it was a quartz mine. Anyone ever been inside the top mine?

Black and Sticky
    Trails were great this morning! A little rutted in some spots from the water and I was hoping for the cloud cover to stay around like yesterday but it got hot pretty quick.

Finally rode the Mine trail... it is definitely a lot of fun and a little tricky in quite a few spots. I can't wait to try Twisted Sister one of these days.

Anyone know the history of the mines up on that hill? I noticed a lot of quartz rocks and outcroppings so I'm assuming it was a quartz mine. Anyone ever been inside the top mine?
    Was out there myself this morning. What I liked is that there was almost no dust because of the rain. Coming down the Saddle trail, headed north toward Saguaro was for me an adventure with the ruts from the rain. Actually that would have been an adventure for me even without the ruts! What a fun place is Hawes, only my second time out there and I can see why it's so popular. Wish I lived a little closer.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    I was out this morning also! Chanced the parking by the trail entrance and did the trails over to Twisted Sister and took the Horse trail out to Usery, up the road and did some of Pass Mountain. Went left on the trail and then worried about time went counter over to trail head, got some water and cut back to the road and back the way I came. Got in 28 miles and wont post my riding time!! But with one crash on Pass, one flat and one stop to help a guy with broken chain I was back at the car in 4 hours total. Great ride!

Cant wait to go out and ride all of Pass, I had to walk a couple of spots but the techy stuff was fun - except when i crashed!

Hawes was awesome, forgot how fun the downhill was from the mines. But think the Wild Horse trail should be renamed "Discarded shot gun shell trail"!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    But think the Wild Horse trail should be renamed "Discarded shot gun shell trail"!
    That's funny you said this. I was out there Yesterday, (in the rain) and I was thinking that there were an awefull lot of shells laying on the trail. Alot of people dove hunting too. Once I arrived at the pit I had hunters on three sides of where I was riding. So I did one pass down the mountain and hightailed it outa there. I guessed they couldn't read cause there are quite a few signs out there that say "no shooting, congested area".

mtbr member
    what's going on, I noticed a lot of gun carrying folks (and gun fire) in the wild horse area. (?!)
    www.StudioDino.com
    The Ride: 2013 Specialized Epic is epic / Roubaix

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioDino
    what's going on, I noticed a lot of gun carrying folks (and gun fire) in the wild horse area. (?!)
    It's always been a very convenient place to shoot. Just minutes from the city and you can park right on the highway.

I was coming down the backside of Mine Trail once when I ran smack dab into a guy with a shotgun. he was halfway up the hill and just feet of the trail.

mtbr member
    headline... mt. biker killed by random gunfire in east mesa!!! this is not something we want to see in the news. if you guys have noticed this activity, perhaps we should notify the appropriate authority. has anyone allready done so?

Ridin bikes is fun
    It’s some kind of hunting season right now, and I think it’s legal for them to hunt whatever it is the hunters are after in that area. This happens every year at this time, I think the season only last for a month or so. That doesn’t mean I’ll feel 100% safe out there right, but I'll still ride it. If someone knows more, please fill us in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    It’s some kind of hunting season right now, and I think it’s legal for them to hunt whatever it is the hunters are after in that area. This happens every year at this time, I think the season only last for a month or so. That doesn’t mean I’ll feel 100% safe out there right, but I'll still ride it. If someone knows more, please fill us in.
    Thanx dave,yeah it does seem like the signs say no target shooting. hmm. well i appreciate guns as much as the next person, but sounds like we better be carefull out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I believe its dove season right now.From the crack of dawn to noon everyday for one to two weeks?

Members who have read this thread: 0