Hawes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hawes

Bring the ruckus

Hawes

I haven't been to Hawes in a while and wondered if the it was still possible to get to the original start in the gated neighborhood? If so what are the streets?

parenting for gnarness
    i'm not quite sure what entrance you mean, there are 2 that go through Las Sendas and both are passable. I can help you further if you describe your route\plan a bit better.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Saucy Size
    You talking the old "top of Hawes" entry at the end of Hawes Rd? Way back in the day, you'd park at McDowell & Power, there's a grocery store there (mmmmaybe Albertson's?) and pedal up McDowell, turn left at Hawes, pedal UP Hawes to the USFS gate, and bombs away! I haven't been up there in years. :-(

If anyone's actually entered the park from up there since Las Sendas went in, I'd love to hear about it. Last time I rode it we had to poach our way past all the "PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT!" signs.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    You talking the old "top of Hawes" entry at the end of Hawes Rd? Way back in the day, you'd park at McDowell & Power, there's a grocery store there (mmmmaybe Albertson's?) and pedal up McDowell, turn left at Hawes, pedal UP Hawes to the USFS gate, and bombs away! I haven't been up there in years. :-(

If anyone's actually entered the park from up there since Las Sendas went in, I'd love to hear about it. Last time I rode it we had to poach our way past all the "PRIVATE PROPERTY KEEP OUT!" signs.

p.
    ok now i got ya. there are a couple ways into the top, i'll give you the legal and easy-to-find one. there is no parking close by. you need to park either at the Albertsons or at McDowell\Hawes - not sure where is legal.

there is a marked hiking trail couple hundred yards down from the peak of the hill - its got some cheesy name like "Desert View" or something. Basically it is a sandy wash. climb up through it less than half a mile, and keep your eyes out for an outlet onto some double track heading due north. follow that to the entrance in the fence. If you hit the staircase, you have missed the outlet to the doubletrack.

From there, its down to the main system, or up and around the Tower trail.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Bring the ruckus
    Yea that's the one. I remember having to go through some private community to get to it but I'll check that out. Thanks

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Here's how I do it. Park at the Walgreens at Power and Thomas. Go into Las Sendas on Eagle Crest. Stay on Eagle Crest until you can take a left on Las Sendas Mountain Rd.

The wash trail used to be called Desert Wash Trail, but there's a new sign and it's now called Mountain View Trail (or is it Mountain Wash Trail?). On the linked map below this trail is between Pinnacle Ridge and Diamond Point. As Chollaball said, follow that and veer left when you pop out onto the doubly-ish track. You'll see where the bikes mostly go. Enter Hawes through the fence break. Turn right to go to the highest point of the Tower trail; takes about 15 minutes to climb. Turn around at the top and cruise down; hang a right at the Saddleback 3-way intersection; total descent time to the 3-way at Story is about 20 minutes; one of the funnest downs in town. Or turn left and be on your way down post haste.

Eventually it seems obvious that the CRGs along Mountain View Trail will shut the wash trail access down. The doubly-ish for sure. The wash trail does continue to a gate if you don't take the doubly, but it's hike-a-bike near the end and it looks like they'll lock that gate eventually. However, there is access just a little past the Mountain View Trail that is City of Mesa park land and is supposed to be there forevah. This is an unmarked trail that goes up (to the east) just north of Teton Circle. Right now there's a CRG house under construction there and the access trail is just barely north of the construction fence.

The bad news about the perma access is that there are 4-5 hike-a-bike sections on this trail until you get to the top of the Tower Trail.

http://tinyurl.com/2dy3fn

Members who have read this thread: 0