Has anyone ridden the entire Black Canyon Trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Has anyone ridden the entire Black Canyon Trail?

So, according to the Black Canyon Trail Coalition website, the Black Canyon Trail "is approximately 78 miles long, stretching from the Carefree Highway (AZ Highway 74), northward along the base of the Bradshaw Mountains, beyond highway 69 near the town of Mayer to the Prescott National Forest." The Black Canyon Trail

That sounds like it would be an incredible epic ride. Has anyone ever ridden it all the way from Carefree Highway to Prescott? If so, how long did it take? I've never ridden north of Black Canyon City but I've read that the trail starts to get covered in brush the further north you go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    So, according to the Black Canyon Trail Coalition website, the Black Canyon Trail "is approximately 78 miles long, stretching from the Carefree Highway (AZ Highway 74), northward along the base of the Bradshaw Mountains, beyond highway 69 near the town of Mayer to the Prescott National Forest." The Black Canyon Trail

That sounds like it would be an incredible epic ride. Has anyone ever ridden it all the way from Carefree Highway to Prescott? If so, how long did it take? I've never ridden north of Black Canyon City but I've read that the trail starts to get covered in brush the further north you go.

Sounds like a great overnight bikepack from north to south. Water?

mtbr member
    Doubt there's water though the picture on the front page shows horses standing in a pond type thing. Can't find anything on google maps

Just another half mile...
    BCT would be a great over night ride. There are about a dozen water sources along the BCT. There are several wind mills and tanks that water can be obtained, and the five river crossings usually have water during the cooler riding months. There is also the store at Cordes Junction that is usually open on the weekends, and it's just 1.2 mile off the trail. Also, there are few stores in Black Canyon City.

Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    Sounds like a great overnight bikepack from north to south. Water?

Ahhh the pain....
    Did the 62 mile stretch from Hyw 69 to Emery Henderson last April. Took us about 9 hours and we kept moving pretty well. I carried 148oz of water and filtered water at the Rock Springs crossing. Great ride...a must do.

Tucson, AZ
    Chad's Bikepacking Diary: Black Canyon Trail to the Bradshaws, day 1
    Chad's Bikepacking Diary: Black Canyon Trail to the Bradshaws, day 2

We thought we were gonna scout for a new route to Crown King and drop down to Lake Pleasant on a new ATV GPX file I found. The scouting in the Bradshaws was too much, I wish we would have just taken the dirt road to Crown King and dropped down on the new ATV trail I found.

mtbr member
    It seems that no one knows the route from Highway 69 north to the Prescott National Forest? The Black Canyon Trail Coalition website does not have this route mapped out either.

Give it a crank
    It seems that no one knows the route from Highway 69 north to the Prescott National Forest? The Black Canyon Trail Coalition website does not have this route mapped out either.
    This thread has a little info.

Just another half mile...

BCT Cat Claw Hell

The trail north of Old Sycamore Road to the Prescott National Forest has been constructed. However, the trail has not been signed yet and is hard to follow in places and with out signing you will not be able to follow the trail. Also, The Cat Claw is really thick and has over grown the trail. I scouted the trail last spring was was forced to turn around after five miles of battling the Cat Claw. I was a bloody mess and it was not very fun to ride. One of the goals this season is to get up there is clear the trail of Cat Claw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Its on my list as one I want to do. Doing a 50 mile two day from Sunflower down to the McDowells over the 29th and 30th. BCT is the next overnighter on the list!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    The trail north of Old Sycamore Road to the Prescott National Forest has been constructed. However, the trail has not been signed yet and is hard to follow in places and with out signing you will not be able to follow the trail. Also, The Cat Claw is really thick and has over grown the trail. I scouted the trail last spring was was forced to turn around after five miles of battling the Cat Claw. I was a bloody mess and it was not very fun to ride. One of the goals this season is to get up there is clear the trail of Cat Claw.
    Perhaps all of the focus on clearing the Cat Claw along the southern portions of the Black Canyon Trail should be changed to clearning the northern portion? At least the southern portion is passable.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    BCT would be a great over night ride. There are about a dozen water sources along the BCT. There are several wind mills and tanks that water can be obtained, and the five river crossings usually have water during the cooler riding months. There is also the store at Cordes Junction that is usually open on the weekends, and it's just 1.2 mile off the trail. Also, there are few stores in Black Canyon City.
    What are the camping options, if any? Sorry Im not familiar with the area.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

The Wheel's Turning
    Is there a .gpx file for this thing? Thx!
    Chance favors those in motion...

DFL>DNF>DNS

^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Is there a .gpx file for this thing? Thx!
    Click on the 'view details' graphic on Raybum's post above, has everything you'll need.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Closekids.com
    Hello. I'm new to town and would like to hit the BCT for about a 12-18 miler. If anyone could point to a great place to experience this system the first time, I would be appreciative!
    Love being in AZ.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Gazelem. Let me know if you're looking for a riding partner to day trip the BCT with soon. My schedule is flexible. Looks like there is some wx coming in in a couple of days. I'm in AZ riding for the next month or so.

mtbr member
    Dirt rag has a write up on the BCT in the current issue
    Looking forward to doing the trail this winter

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Hello. I'm new to town and would like to hit the BCT for about a 12-18 miler. If anyone could point to a great place to experience this system the first time, I would be appreciative!
    Love being in AZ.

Park at the main trail head by Rock Springs Cafe and go North or South, or park at the Bumble Bee trailhead and do the same, either way, you can't lose.

Closekids.com
    What month? December?
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".