Has anyone ridden the entire Black Canyon Trail?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,167

    Has anyone ridden the entire Black Canyon Trail?

    So, according to the Black Canyon Trail Coalition website, the Black Canyon Trail "is approximately 78 miles long, stretching from the Carefree Highway (AZ Highway 74), northward along the base of the Bradshaw Mountains, beyond highway 69 near the town of Mayer to the Prescott National Forest." The Black Canyon Trail

    That sounds like it would be an incredible epic ride. Has anyone ever ridden it all the way from Carefree Highway to Prescott? If so, how long did it take? I've never ridden north of Black Canyon City but I've read that the trail starts to get covered in brush the further north you go.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    So, according to the Black Canyon Trail Coalition website, the Black Canyon Trail "is approximately 78 miles long, stretching from the Carefree Highway (AZ Highway 74), northward along the base of the Bradshaw Mountains, beyond highway 69 near the town of Mayer to the Prescott National Forest." The Black Canyon Trail

    That sounds like it would be an incredible epic ride. Has anyone ever ridden it all the way from Carefree Highway to Prescott? If so, how long did it take? I've never ridden north of Black Canyon City but I've read that the trail starts to get covered in brush the further north you go.

    Sounds like a great overnight bikepack from north to south. Water?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AZ Desert Dweller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13
    Doubt there's water though the picture on the front page shows horses standing in a pond type thing. Can't find anything on google maps

  4. #4
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,064
    BCT would be a great over night ride. There are about a dozen water sources along the BCT. There are several wind mills and tanks that water can be obtained, and the five river crossings usually have water during the cooler riding months. There is also the store at Cordes Junction that is usually open on the weekends, and it's just 1.2 mile off the trail. Also, there are few stores in Black Canyon City.

    Quote Originally Posted by AZspeeding View Post
    Sounds like a great overnight bikepack from north to south. Water?

  5. #5
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,523
    Did the 62 mile stretch from Hyw 69 to Emery Henderson last April. Took us about 9 hours and we kept moving pretty well. I carried 148oz of water and filtered water at the Rock Springs crossing. Great ride...a must do.

  6. #6
    Tucson, AZ
    Reputation: azepicriderandrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,974
    Chad's Bikepacking Diary: Black Canyon Trail to the Bradshaws, day 1
    Chad's Bikepacking Diary: Black Canyon Trail to the Bradshaws, day 2


    We thought we were gonna scout for a new route to Crown King and drop down to Lake Pleasant on a new ATV GPX file I found. The scouting in the Bradshaws was too much, I wish we would have just taken the dirt road to Crown King and dropped down on the new ATV trail I found.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    It seems that no one knows the route from Highway 69 north to the Prescott National Forest? The Black Canyon Trail Coalition website does not have this route mapped out either.

  8. #8
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    It seems that no one knows the route from Highway 69 north to the Prescott National Forest? The Black Canyon Trail Coalition website does not have this route mapped out either.
    This thread has a little info.

  9. #9
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,064

    BCT Cat Claw Hell

    The trail north of Old Sycamore Road to the Prescott National Forest has been constructed. However, the trail has not been signed yet and is hard to follow in places and with out signing you will not be able to follow the trail. Also, The Cat Claw is really thick and has over grown the trail. I scouted the trail last spring was was forced to turn around after five miles of battling the Cat Claw. I was a bloody mess and it was not very fun to ride. One of the goals this season is to get up there is clear the trail of Cat Claw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    It seems that no one knows the route from Highway 69 north to the Prescott National Forest? The Black Canyon Trail Coalition website does not have this route mapped out either.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    735
    Its on my list as one I want to do. Doing a 50 mile two day from Sunflower down to the McDowells over the 29th and 30th. BCT is the next overnighter on the list!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BCTJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    The trail north of Old Sycamore Road to the Prescott National Forest has been constructed. However, the trail has not been signed yet and is hard to follow in places and with out signing you will not be able to follow the trail. Also, The Cat Claw is really thick and has over grown the trail. I scouted the trail last spring was was forced to turn around after five miles of battling the Cat Claw. I was a bloody mess and it was not very fun to ride. One of the goals this season is to get up there is clear the trail of Cat Claw.
    Perhaps all of the focus on clearing the Cat Claw along the southern portions of the Black Canyon Trail should be changed to clearning the northern portion? At least the southern portion is passable.

  12. #12
    How much further ???
    Reputation: Douger-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    BCT would be a great over night ride. There are about a dozen water sources along the BCT. There are several wind mills and tanks that water can be obtained, and the five river crossings usually have water during the cooler riding months. There is also the store at Cordes Junction that is usually open on the weekends, and it's just 1.2 mile off the trail. Also, there are few stores in Black Canyon City.
    What are the camping options, if any? Sorry Im not familiar with the area.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

  13. #13
    The Wheel's Turning
    Reputation: The Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    89
    Is there a .gpx file for this thing? Thx!
    Chance favors those in motion...

  14. #14
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,083

    ^^^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
    Is there a .gpx file for this thing? Thx!
    Click on the 'view details' graphic on Raybum's post above, has everything you'll need.
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  15. #15
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    922
    Hello. I'm new to town and would like to hit the BCT for about a 12-18 miler. If anyone could point to a great place to experience this system the first time, I would be appreciative!
    Love being in AZ.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    13
    Gazelem. Let me know if you're looking for a riding partner to day trip the BCT with soon. My schedule is flexible. Looks like there is some wx coming in in a couple of days. I'm in AZ riding for the next month or so.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bionicman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    517
    Dirt rag has a write up on the BCT in the current issue
    Looking forward to doing the trail this winter

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Hello. I'm new to town and would like to hit the BCT for about a 12-18 miler. If anyone could point to a great place to experience this system the first time, I would be appreciative!
    Love being in AZ.

    Park at the main trail head by Rock Springs Cafe and go North or South, or park at the Bumble Bee trailhead and do the same, either way, you can't lose.

  19. #19
    Closekids.com
    Reputation: BoomingSooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    922
    What month? December?
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

Similar Threads

  1. Has anyone ridden Ford Canyon Trail?
    By Chalkpaw in forum Arizona
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
  3. Black Canyon Trail Black Gold Ride 9.01.07
    By JrockFeltaz in forum Arizona
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 02:52 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 09:42 AM
  5. Black Canyon Trail • Trail Work Day
    By su.ling~ in forum Arizona
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-11-2006, 05:28 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.