Happy New Year to Plumber Phil and Jennifer- Mtbr.com
    banned

Happy New Year to Plumber Phil and Jennifer

First of all I would like to thank Plumber Phil and Jennifer Burns for making Sedona one of the best mountain biking destinations in the whole WORLD: MTB Bucket List, 7 Places to Ride at Least Once in Your Life According to Gary Perkin - Features - Vital MTB

Several years ago Phil hooked up with Jennifer on the Pigtail and as time went on they set a goal to adopt a bunch of user built trails built by the mountain biking community. I don't believe there were any goals to adopt the Shadow's hiking only trails. Not only are these newly adopted trails enjoyed by the mountain biking community they are quickly becoming the favorites of the hiking community.

Our most famous local sedona hiking club the Westerners have been seen a number of times on Hangover and Highline even before they were officially adopted. Special thanks to ex-president George Whittamore for understanding that we all have been working to provide the Sedona locals a great place to recreate.

At the next Sedona RTCA meeting the FS is going to bring their hydrologist and archeologist to the meeting to discuss sustainability of trails and routing trails near archeological sites. The purpose of this post is to determine what mountain bikers consider an acceptable amount of erosion (that occurs) due to the existence of trails used by hikers and mountain bikers.

In Sedona we have trails and dirt roads situations where insignificant amounts of erosion occur, minimal amounts of erosion occur, significant amounts of erosion occur and mega amounts of erosion occur. Those erosion are certainly undesirable at the present time, but ARE ACCEAPTABLE by the FS. For me personally I am not losing any sleep over the amount of erosion going on in Sedona.

I think we can all agree Sedona like the Grand Canyon is one MAJOR NATURAL EROSION location. Both locations are two of the most beautiful areas in the world.

At one point the mesa the airport is located on was a riverbed, and over millions of years the area around the airport mesa has eroded more than 250 feet in elevation. Billions of cubic of soil and rock has been washed down Oak Creek into the Verde River and certainly billions of cubic feet of soil and rocks will continue to naturally erode over the next millions of years.

I contend that several of the largest FS acceptable man made erosion sites are the dirt jeep roads that surround the Sedona area. Examples of those jeep roads are Schnebly Hill Road, Broken Arrow Jeep Road, Soldier Pass Jeep Road and Vultee Arch Jeep Road. If readers donít believe those jeep roads are major contributors to undesirable but acceptable erosion I can go into greater detail as to why I believe they are. One indication of the erosion is the dedicated Pink Jeep Dump Truck that continually delivers truck loads of dirt up to severely eroded sections of the different jeep roads Pink Jeep does tours on.

Over the last five years the FS has been working to adopt a number of user built trails. Initial trails that were adopted are: Lizardhead, Secret Slickrock, Ramshead and the west part of the current Ridge trail. Since those initial trails were adopted there have been numerous other user built trails that have been adopted this is a list of some of those trails: Mescal, Chuck Wagon, Gunslinger, Gunsmoke, Anaconda, Snake, Adobe Jack, Grand Central, Crusty, Ant Hill, Plunge, Shorty, Coconino, Easy Breezy, Made in the Shade, Slim Shady, Highline, Hangover, etc.

Also during the last three years there have been several new trails added to the system. Those trails are: Pigtail, Aerie, Javelina, Hermit, Basalt, Kaibab, Yavapai Vista and Coyote.

Several of the newly adopted user built trails that have presented sustainability issues in the adoption process are Slim Shady and Highline. The FS hydrologist has found areas on both of those trails to be unsustainable and there are corrective measures of armoring that have been made or are in the process of being made to bring those two trails into an undesirable, but ACCEPTABLE EROSION STATUS.

What I am trying do in a go forward basis is to use the above talking points to rationalize the moving forward on the adoption of the current inventory of non-adopted user built trails to also bring them into an adopted status. My contention is that many of the remaining non-adopted user built trails are as sustainable or more sustainable than the trails that have already been adopted or are approved for adoption.

If any of the MTBR viewers have sustainability concerns about current Sedona non-adopted trails please let us know which trails you donít think arenít sustainable enough to be considered acceptable under the current Sedona FS standards.

Thanks Phil and Jennifer for all your help. All the hikers and mountain bikers who have enjoyed and will enjoy those adopted and new trails listed above wish you a Happy New Year. Hopefully 2013 be be another year of more adoptions and maybe even a new trail or two can be built when we get through the RTCA process.

banned
    I just remembered that Transcept is a hiker built trail and I may have heard the FS is thinking of adopting that trail into a system status. It will be interesting how that trail will be changed if it is in fact adopted. There are certainly some sections that could be improved to make it more rideable for the advanced masses.

It makes for a great mountain biking loop back to VOC and it is a favorite for the more hardy hikers in the Verde Valley School area.

TD

Shovel Ready
    Heading out for the first 2013 ride.

Thinking a good stir fry would be a good dinner option. Anyone have a good recipe, limiting sugar and protein.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

Meatbomb

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

Thanks Mr. Bo, the Stir Fry Pasta looks interesting. You should join us in 2013 for a O&S PMP ride.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome. :)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    TD: as usual, you are so modest!
    The THANKS should go to you for making Sedona such a great riding venue; for the masses, or at least 73% of them, of course. Ride HAPPY in 2013 TD. Let 2012 go down the erosion drain.
    TS

banned

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    TD: as usual, you are so modest!
    The THANKS should go to you for making Sedona such a great riding venue; for the masses, or at least 73% of them, of course. Ride HAPPY in 2013 TD. Let 2012 go down the erosion drain.
    TS
    TS:

When I was down riding in Gold Canyon I couldn't help but notice that some of the trails were poorly routed which caused more than undesirable insignificant erosion. IMHO the guy or gal that routed Lost Gold Mine did a terrible job.

There was even one significant section of the Gila Monster cow trail that isn't going to hold up in the coming years. I couldn't help but wonder what kind of cows like to climb that fall line section? I would think a more sustainable re-route would be appropriate before it develops a deep incision that can't be corrected because their is nowhere to divert the water.

If the GM trail were to have been routed on solid rock like the backside of Highline the erosion issue would have been undesirable, but very insignificant and therefore tolerable by 30% of the eco types. In years prior to Jennifer and Heather coming to Sedona this type of trail routing would have never allowed, but is now becoming more common place

Whenever cows route their trails to their watering holes they usually take a route that is more contour orientated. Fortunately the Sedona trail builders have usually built their trails in a more cow like style to help with sustainability issues that arise during periods of heavy rain or usage by the users.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy New Year to Plumber Phil and Jennifer-fallline.jpg  

Last edited by traildoc; 01-01-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Shovel Ready
    I decided on veggie stir fry and some fish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    That pic is NOT G C; maybe I mis-understood your comment; sometimes it is difficult to discern the import of your diatribe.
    But.I'll keep a sharp lookout for 33% erosion probabilityu; and contact you if any remedial action may be warranted. TS

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TransitionSenior View Post
    That pic is NOT G C; maybe I mis-understood your comment; sometimes it is difficult to discern the import of your diatribe.
    But.I'll keep a sharp lookout for 33% erosion probabilityu; and contact you if any remedial action may be warranted. TS
    Certainly the picture is what happens to the earth when there is fast moving water in a fall line situation and there is no additional erosion to due to mountain bikers wearing down the surface by continued braking while riding down the trail or spinning of tires while riding up a fall line trail trying to be the KOM.

Now that the new backside of Highline trail has been routed down that earthly section there certainly will be some accelerated insignificant erosion due to the aggressive nature of riders who enjoy testing their higher than normal skill levels.

You mentioned the Transition boys may be visiting Sedona in the future and this is a perfect spot for them to do a photo op of 68 year old types riding the 29er Bandit down with a BIG on their face. That group is getting near the end of their rodeo and they have a lot of disposable income to invest in a trusty stead to ride out into the sunset on and enjoy life to the max.

Members who have read this thread: 0