My other ride is your mom

HAB shoes which can cruise the Canelo's

Alright AES'rs...I have struck out in getting any input on the Apparel and Bikepacking forums....so check this out and let me know if you have experience with any of the listed shoes:

http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...t-1077604.html

Jeff Z, Rhino, Shilling....what say you?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Since I've been using flats for 2+ years now, I ride in Salomon X-Ultra hiking shoes. Been on the same pair over that timeframe. That's a lot of HAB miles.

If you still want the clips, based on Kurt's 750 run this year, he raved about the PI X-Alp Elevates. He even ditched his shipped running shoes about 1/3 of the way through the Canyon trek in favor of the Elevates. Take that for what it's worth.
    Last edited by schillingsworth; 05-09-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Thanks...are you saying he hiked through the canyon on the elevates? If so, yes...that tells me what I need to know.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Thanks...are you saying he hiked through the canyon on the elevates? If so, yes...that tells me what I need to know.
    Yes, most of the way R2R in the Canyon. I saw a pic of the shoe soles after the ride and they didn't look too bad. So many shoes have met their demise on the 750, mine included!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Rhino
    Maad

I use Specialized Tahoe lace ups with the Specialized insoles. The insoles make the shoe very stiff, big difference with and without the Specialized insoles.

I used Spez Tahoes for the AZT only after wearing them for about a week (I know I know, had a crisis with brand new shoes and ditched boas). The Tahoes looked BRAND NEW by Picketpost (J.Schill can confirm). The shoes took a little beating on Highline.

The shoes were amazing for the Canyon. I wore the shoes through the Canyon hike and never removed the cleats. The shoe rubber was worn pretty good after the Canyon hike but no major ripping of the rubber or shoe degradation. After the AZT I bought another pair of Tahoes to race Dirty Kanza. I removed the old cleats and put them on my new shoes, which to me indicated that the shoes held up well and did not eat up too much of the cleat with all the hiking on AZT. Shortly after Dirty Kanza, I replaced the cleats.

That's my opinion. Sold on the Specialized Tahoe lace ups. Sold on lace ups PERIOD for bikepacking. I was a huge boa fan (for the fit it provided), but knew I was rolling dice on a shoe failure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    If you still want the clips, based on kurt's 750 run this year, he raved about the pi x-alp elevates. He even ditched his shipping running shoes about 1/3 of the way through the canyon trek in favor of the elevates. Take that for what it's worth.
    wow!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Alright AES'rs...I have struck out in getting any input on the Apparel and Bikepacking forums....so check this out and let me know if you have experience with any of the listed shoes:

http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...t-1077604.html

Jeff Z, Rhino, Shilling....what say you?

My history with PI shoes is not good. The X Alps I had for my 300 run were too soft and caused me serious foot pain. They were awesome for hiking but, for my feet, a problem on long days. When the X project version came I out I thought it was exactly what I was looking for. However, in the field they were a disaster. Lots of blisters from HAB. Could not get them to not rub my foot raw when hiking. They were great on the bike though.

Past few years I've been using SHimano shoes currenlty M089s. I find them stiff enough for riding, but flexible enough for hiking - and relatively cheap. They got me through the 750, although I will admit to slapping on my hiking shoes for Oracle Ridge and the Molino climb as well as that canyon thing.

I'm still looking for that PERFECT balance of stiffness and flex. If you get the elevates, post back after some time. They look like the grail, but I've been burned before...

^^^Yeah, those X-Projects of mine are also a blister factory when off the bike for even a hundred feet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    My history with PI shoes is not good. The X Alps I had for my 300 run were too soft and caused me serious foot pain. They were awesome for hiking but, for my feet, a problem on long days. When the X project version came I out I thought it was exactly what I was looking for. However, in the field they were a disaster. Lots of blisters from HAB. Could not get them to not rub my foot raw when hiking. They were great on the bike though.

Past few years I've been using SHimano shoes currenlty M089s. I find them stiff enough for riding, but flexible enough for hiking - and relatively cheap. They got me through the 750, although I will admit to slapping on my hiking shoes for Oracle Ridge and the Molino climb as well as that canyon thing.

I'm still looking for that PERFECT balance of stiffness and flex. If you get the elevates, post back after some time. They look like the grail, but I've been burned before...
    I used the M089 for my 300 run last year. Great on the bike and can be used in HAB. However far from idea on stuff like the Rock of Molino and I would never consider hiking the canyon with them. Now if I could find a show that did well riding and could be hiked in it would be perfect or 300 or 750. But it could be pipe dream. Kurt's experience is interesting, but he is not like most people anyway so just because it worked of for him does not mean it would work for a mortal.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    I had a long discussion with the Pearl Izumi store mgr at Whiskey. He runs the store in the Anthem outlet mall and a few people on this thread know him. The launch is a more enduro shoe. The x alp is discontinued. The project x pro is more of a race shoe with a stiff sole. The elevate is the answer or the discontinued x alp if you can find them. I was looking for hab shoe too. I got a pair of elevate. El freako recommends the cheap shimano shoes with michelin rubber soles. I think a few people are talking about the same ones here.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Just an observation: I find it telling that I post the same question on the Bikepacking forum and the Apparel form and get nothing....but post up about shoes for HAB in the AZ forum where nobody rides and only posts on mtbr is where I get the feedback....thanks for the input to all. Will post up a review of the elevates when I get em and use em. I'll ride up Hart trail as the test and then go brewery hopping with the dog in tow for a 360 review.

mtbr member
    Just an observation: I find it telling that I post the same question on the Bikepacking forum and the Apparel form and get nothing....but post up about shoes for HAB in the AZ forum..
    You did put a teaser in there. HAB and Canelos. That will draw every AZTR 300 or 750 rider.
    Joe

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Just an observation: I find it telling that I post the same question on the Bikepacking forum and the Apparel form and get nothing....but post up about shoes for HAB in the AZ forum where nobody rides and only posts on mtbr is where I get the feedback....thanks for the input to all. Will post up a review of the elevates when I get em and use em. I'll ride up Hart trail as the test and then go brewery hopping with the dog in tow for a 360 review.
    I forgot to add. I traded in a pair of carbon xc shoes on warranty for mine, the ones i traded in were 47. I wear paper thin wool socks. I got a 46.5 in the elevate, they fit more like a normal shoe not jamming my foot in a slipper. Depending on how thick of socks you wear you may be fine with the same size but i would have needed real thick socks to not have any slop in a 47 which i wear in giro vr90 and those other pearl izumi carbon shoes.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

parenting for gnarness
    no analysis is complete unless Bob provides a pie chart
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    no analysis is complete unless Bob provides a pie chart
    I'll hit him up when the data starts rolling in. For now, will this work for my old X-Alp's?

HAB shoes which can cruise the Canelo's-percentage.jpg

mtbr member
    I havenít tried any of the PI shows mentioned but I found myself loving the Specialized Rimeís for a good combination of stiffness and flex for HAB. They also use BOA laces along with Velcro straps so you can get itnnice and snug and it wonít loosen up over time. Only downside is that they are pricey!
    Shit happens...

Life's a ride, enjoy it! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I havenít tried any of the PI shows mentioned but I found myself loving the Specialized Rimeís for a good combination of stiffness and flex for HAB. They also use BOA laces along with Velcro straps so you can get itnnice and snug and it wonít loosen up over time. Only downside is that they are pricey!

Rime Experts are on sale right now.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ri...shoes/p/117612

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...QgAEPEB&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...QgAEPEB&adurl=
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I've talked to a few people who like the Rimes.

However.
    Nancy bought a pair before the 300 back in 2013. the BOA thing failed within a couple of weeks. They were replaced. Then most of the sole ripped off on Oracle Ridge. They were, again, replaced. After that she wore them for a while without issues, but never really liked them. Given that experience, I was never willing to spend on those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My Giro Terraduros worked fine in the Canelos.

Patagonia attained. Much pushing required. #azt300

A post shared by Michael Mortensen (@mvmorten) on

parenting for gnarness
    a friend once said "if you're not hiking, the view's probably not worth it".
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote