Thread: "That Guy"

Dirt Merchant

"That Guy"

Oh, wow... You just spent over 5K on your new S-Works 29'r. That's Awesome! I wasn't aware it came with a sponsorship from Specialized...
    What do I mean?? Well your decked out head to toe in lycra and gear emblazoned with Specialized on it. You MUST be getting sponsored?!?!

Are you THAT GUY?

Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Meatbomb
    I ride a Stumpy and wear Specialized shoes and gloves but no lycra so I am not THAT GUY.

Dirt Merchant
    That Guy is really just any guy that seems to think because he rolls a certain brand that he should be decked out thinking he's rolling on the official team or something.

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Shovel Ready
    Personally never pay attention to that stuff. First I'm out enjoying my ride. Second don't pay attention to that stuff.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I got a 2001 P3 I bought for 250. I wear tillman leather gloves shorts and tanktop cuase I sponsor walmart and tillman.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    We all sponsor what ever rider rides for the brand we buy. Get over it. Maybe if more people where decked out in gear like this they would lower the price of bikes. Wishful thinking!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You must be that 'Spec Guy" with 2

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    we all need to do our part to prevent mtb from turning into the nascar of the southwest.

mtbr member
    When I went looking for mt bikes, I had to have the best I could buy for $$ I had. Why? Because I knew it was quality.. I didnt care whhat brand I would get, Just how many chili peppers it received,
    When I go to buy my first clipless shoes, They will be the best I can get for the price I'm willing to spend. If I get some "That guy" shoes it wont change a thing about the way I think of myself, Just the confidense I will have in my product I chose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace
    Oh, wow... You just spent over 5K on your new S-Works 29'r. That's Awesome! I wasn't aware it came with a sponsorship from Specialized...
    What do I mean?? Well your decked out head to toe in lycra and gear emblazoned with Specialized on it. You MUST be getting sponsored?!?!

Are you THAT GUY?

Wow- upset that Magna doesn't sell gear or something?

I am a lycra guy- but went out with gear bag containing red Swiss team shorts, green/wht Bicycleworld.tv jersey, and some electric blue trimmed black socks. Got some looks- but hey,it's not a fashion show!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Dirt Merchant
    I'm all about getting the best bike you can buy for the money, but as longhairmike said, lets not make this about advertising. If you got a jersey to support the lbs, that's cool. It's the "head to toe guy" that grinds me. Don't know why, maybe I need a xanax.

And sorry, but as I'm sure alot of us are trasnplants, I'm enjoying this Yotes/Wings game being from Detroit.

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Control Freak
    I cant wear Lycra...Im too fat and it would look pretty bad! 2nd..I dont pay attention to what I wear..I get what is on sale...i have 5 long sleeve fox jerseys I got for 19.99 each...so during the winter months that is what I wear...im on the prowl for short sleeve now

99.9% of the people I meet on the trail are nice.

mtbr member
    Tplace,
    I'm that guy, I think to a point we all are, is Specialized paying you to have 2010 Rockhopper on your sig line? Its all a matter of degree's. I like Specialized Jerseys, I like Pearl pants, I like S-works helmets as well.

I think Skinny had a thread about what the sport needs to grow....It doesn't need this sort of division on what we wear.

Steve

mtbr member
    I'm that guy!!! Sweeet!!! Decked out head to toe in matching team gear. Lycra makes me feel good.

mtbr member
    Exactly how and why could/should/would this make you mad? It's not like he stole money from you to buy it. What difference does it make what he spent his money on?

Meatbomb
    some peeps get way too far up in other peeps business.

mtbr member
    Oh, and there's a local racer with a Specialized tattoo on his leg...sounds like your head might explode if you saw it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Personally never pay attention to that stuff. First I'm out enjoying my ride. Second don't pay attention to that stuff.
    Liar! You ARE "that guy"

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    Liar! You ARE "that guy"
    Other then road rides which I wear my baggies over Spandex. I never wear it. I do ride a boutique frame, RS Fork, hope brakes, King HS & BB, spec tires, RF cranks, Hadley/Flow wheels, Sram drive train, Deity 30/30 bars, Lizard skin grips, Dakine pack & Deuter bladder, Stans/Flat Attack Sealant, Fox gloves & baggies, Wellgo pedals, 510 Shoes, ATB lubricant, Enduro fork seals, Costco socks, polo shirt sometimes with company logo and Giro Helmet. Also have 2 Ventana Jerseys which get worn on the weekends now and then.

Thanks to all those make this possible. It's a dream to have so many wonderful sponsors. Oh and the Phoenix Landis store. Which gladly charges my CC instead of honoring all my sponsor contracts.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    sometimes i wear my Britny Fox shirt,, sometimes it's Extreme or Vai. lets everyone on the trail know to stay away from me.

last night we watched the movie THE THING on the encore channel. It was the first time i'd ever seen it. For a nearly 30 year old movie, the effects were pretty impressive, and it was pretty damn scary compared to all the CG crap nowadays.
    at the beginning i'm like "hey, its the oatmeal guy!"
    shana says 'who?', and i say "the oatmeal guy,, dia-beetus dude"
    "no it isn't"
    "yes it is! listen to his voice, its the dia-beetus guy! he looks weird with hair though"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm all about getting the best bike you can buy for the money, but as longhairmike said, lets not make this about advertising. If you got a jersey to support the lbs, that's cool. It's the "head to toe guy" that grinds me. Don't know why, maybe I need a xanax.

And sorry, but as I'm sure alot of us are trasnplants, I'm enjoying this Yotes/Wings game being from Detroit.
    So, you are "grinding" yourself and checking out what other guys are wearing? Ok, but why are you getting so upset? Were you confused and thought he was really sponsored for a second?

He wants to wear the gear, you don't.

Maybe you could give me some style tips: I just wear a simple baggy synthetic-material T-shirt from Wal Mart and khaki cotton shorts over rodie cycling shorts. Am I a different "THAT guy"? I'm very concerned about others' opinions on the matter... I know if I don't wear the right clothes, I'll never make it down the Waterfall.....

Hey, if you want to continue to gander at everyone on the trail "head to toe," go ahead....ain't nothing wrong with that.....

You're not THAT guy, but you're the OTHER guy. You're the "hey, I know what a real MTB'r should look like" guy....

mtbr member
    That Guy is really just any guy that seems to think because he rolls a certain brand that he should be decked out thinking he's rolling on the official team or something.
    What do you care? Is this Queer Eye for the Straight Guy?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sometimes I wear my Pivot socks when I ride my Salsa, I'm so confused.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

mtbr member
    I would be that guy if I could find a "NEXT" kit.
    "Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    Sometimes I wear my Pivot socks when I ride my Salsa, I'm so confused.
    Oh yeah......Well I have a vintage YETI jersey signed by Julie Furtado AND John Tomac and I wear it when riding my 29er Stumpy S-Works, with my DEAN socks and Poison Spider arm warmers!!!! .......While looking up at my TNT Team Jersey signed by Specialized's own Ned Endoverend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirthead
    I would be that guy if I could find a "NEXT" kit.
    Let's just get some kits made up! Pactimo does small orders! I'm in for two!

I looked like THAT GUY today. I showed up to a mountain bike race in AJ that cost 8 bucks to enter and a total of 19 other people entered. I was on my 2010 S-Works 29er AND I wore a skin suit. However, I was very friendly to everyone there, even made fun of myself a bit and tried to encouraged the hell out of a few MTB newbies I talked to and I still have a clean white kit to wear on my death march up 4 peaks tomorrow. It's fine to look like THAT GUY but it's acting like THAT GUY that isn't cool and you'd better be able to back up your attitude.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkracr
    Let's just get some kits made up! Pactimo does small orders! I'm in for two!

. It's fine to look like THAT GUY but it's acting like THAT GUY that isn't cool and you'd better be able to back up your attitude.
    Agreed......if they guy acted like a d**k then I take back everything I said......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I'm that guy!!! Sweeet!!! Decked out head to toe in matching team gear. Lycra makes me feel good.
    No lycra makes you sexy...
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

I love bike!
    Interesting thread...never noticed "that guy" today going up and down Natty. It was only until I got back to the Pima lot and noticed lots of those guys heading out on Desert Classic and/or riding road bikes in the drive.

Just a thought but...If "that guy" bothers you so much maybe try GOING UP and hitting up some of the SoMo gnar gnar. I don't think you'll run across very many of them in those parts.

Fragile - must be Italian
    I wear my Titus socks and RaceFace pads when I ride my Iron Horse 6point. I guess that makes me THAT GUY WHO WEARS ***** FROM BRANDS THAT WENT OUT OF BUSINESS.

Thx...Doug

lurker extraordinaire
    I need some Knolly branded lycra and I'll be set. In fact, I already have a name for the gear ... "Knut Huggers"!

"No Clue Crew"
    As long as you're riding, wear whatever!!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    dude,, i will dress as STRYPER for halloween before i get caught dead looking like that

wawe member

zOMG!

What if I wear a full kit for MTB only company "A" while riding on one of Road only company "B"'s bikes?

What if I wear it while riding one of company "A"'s bikes?

What if I wear it cause it was free and it does the job and it's another day I can go without doing laundry?

I'm having a panic attack thinking I've been doing it wrong.

mtbr member

Are you THAT GUY?

Live and let live...That doesnít mean my inner monolog isnít blaring away! Same when i see helmetless riders...there choice....certainly not mine!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    sometimes i wear my Britny Fox shirt,, sometimes it's Extreme or Vai. lets everyone on the trail know to stay away from me.

last night we watched the movie THE THING on the encore channel. It was the first time i'd ever seen it. For a nearly 30 year old movie, the effects were pretty impressive, and it was pretty damn scary compared to all the CG crap nowadays.
    at the beginning i'm like "hey, its the oatmeal guy!"
    shana says 'who?', and i say "the oatmeal guy,, dia-beetus dude"
    "no it isn't"
    "yes it is! listen to his voice, its the dia-beetus guy! he looks weird with hair though"
    Wilford Brimly. Awesome movie!!

They are supposed to be making kind of a prequel. It's supposed to be what happens at the other arctic station (I think they were swedish or something) that finds the ship initially. Not convinced :-/

The best is the head that slides off and turns into the crab thing...jeezus that crap was messed up...and of course the stomach that opened up with teeth...WOOF!!

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    When did Joan Rivers get a User Name here on mtb.com

wear what you want, when you want but please notice that the clothes don't make you cool or make you special so please don't act like it. I can wear a suit and tie to diner at Pizza Hut, but it sure as heck doesn't make me the coolest or best person in the room at eating pizza!
    Last edited by berny2435; 04-19-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

My other ride is your mom
    Lycra's got nothing on Dan'l Boone, Chino Bandido, Tranny, Angus Young, Prom Date, Reynoldo and Flugelhorn Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "That Guy"-131670_10150116275102650_609772649_7687022_7349359_o.jpg  

"That Guy"-135035_10150116279907650_609772649_7687193_3027521_o.jpg  

"That Guy"-135035_10150116279917650_609772649_7687194_3020679_o.jpg  

Green Wrencher
    Now that is "rockin' out with the .....

Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Lycra's got lugelhorn Sam

livin' the dream......
    Funny, I was just looking at team kits online before checking out mtbr. I am torn as I have a Stumpy Comp 29er and a Trek roadbike. I want some new duds for riding, so what do I do?

Think I will get the Team Subaru kit and keep it neutral! I like what mtbkracr said "it is okay to look like that guy, just don't be that guy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Around here in S. Florida it's not hard to find someone in gear worth more than your car and paying as they go

Bike are one thing, you don't want to get started on motorcycles and boats.

Things like this don't bother me anymore (maybe because I am 40 now and on my back 9)...that dude that shows up in a 20 something bar with a Corvette jacket on and a brand new ZR1 getting valeted right in front I now see as just a guy that has whatever passion he has.

Maybe he strikes out at that bar, maybe he has to figure out how to get 3 chicks in a two-seater.

I move forward with my life as they do theirs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Team Kit

Sorry could not resist. That guy in the team kit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "That Guy"-coopershat.jpg  

"No Clue Crew"
    LOL!! What a cute kid..........D

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by cgcharlie
    Sorry could not resist. That guy in the team kit

That guy just earned every bit of his "Team Kit"......his epicness is apparent.......congrats

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have a sneaking suspicion "that guy" is the same guy that thinks roof racks "look good", like some sort of status symbol or somehow the erector-set and bars is not a huge eyesore to an otherwise aerodynamic surface. I realize that some use them out of necessity, or they were bought before hitch racks got "good", or maybe even practical reasons rather than aesthetic reasons. Still, i get the feeling some think they look "hot"...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Roof rack on the car since it doesn't have a hitch.

Hitch rack on the truck, because it has a hitch and a bike on the roof would be over to 10 feet tall.

This thread is hilarious, like the young guy in camo baggies making fun of the old guy in purple lycra. Never mind that they're his favorite pair of shorts and he's been wearing them on epic rides since camo boy was still in diapers.

I tend to be a function over fashion guy myself. I prefer lycra shorts as I find baggies just too hot for cross country riding. When I drop off of the backside of Mount Lemon I like to wear jeans at the start, as there's a lot of brush. Then I carry a pair of shorts to put on at the bottom when things open up and it gets warm.

So why would anybody care what the hell someone else chooses to wear when riding.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    I think the real "that guy"' is the one who's out to impress and not just be himself. Wear and do what you want but the quickest way to loose respect is to be a poser.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Eroding into the trail

Now that is just wrong!
    Batman has cool toys to drive/ride/fly, etc.; I don't think fruit boots are among
    his choices.
    Maybe George Clooney had a few too many & stole some of Batman's costume
    items?!

Members who have read this thread: 0