Thread: Group kid ride?

Don't believe the Hype...

Group kid ride?

My son is about to turn 13 and I would like to get him riding more once it cools down. I took him a few times a couple years ago with a friend of his and they had a blast. But ever since his riding buddy moved, he's hasn't be interested. Anyone intested in getting a few kids together sometime? Maybe Papago or some other mild trails?
    Last edited by luckybastard; 09-09-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

No mames guey

IMBA's International Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day

I'm not sure where in AZ you live, but IMBA is hosting several events in October. You might attend one of these to hook up with like-minding rippers. Or, you might even try to organize an event of your own (cut off is the 15th).

http://www.imba.com/resources/kids/index.html

And I don't mean the band
    We've been trying to get the kids into riding (11 and 14), but since there aren't many other kids that are into mtn biking we're having a hard time trying to get them to go..... It's mostly adults when we take em, and we might actually be a little too hard on them
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

aka Diesel
    I have a 12 year old and a 14 year old (boys) who have both ridden with me, but as mentioned above, I think my pace and endurance is too much (and far be from me to compromise MY ride ) has turned them both off, but your idea is great- that might be just the ticket to re-interest them. Let me know if it comes together.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Cool, once it cools down to a temp they won't hate, we should definatly try to all met up some time. The more the better. It drives me nuts how he had such great time with his friend but doesn't want to go with me. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, lol...I'm gonna try to get him a SS. I know picking the right gears is pretty hard for a kid. Hell, it was pretty hard for me when I started.

www.krackedskulls.com

Downhill Spokesmodel
    My stepson who just turned 13 has gotten into DH and is progressing well. He has ridden at Sunrise and Candy Mountain last weekend. Prior to that we have done Pinal Mountain & Sunrise a couple of other times and when he first started we went to SoMo and Bootleg. He is looking forward to riding SoMo again when shuttles start next Sunday. If anyone else has kids interested in DH maybe we can get a kids group together.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

lifer
    Jan 2009
    LB,
    If your looking for youth mtb stuff check out www.novayouthcycling.org They do alot with getting kids interested in riding / racing. plus it helps you find other riders, parts, bikes etc for the kids. Both of my girls have enjoyed it, they are a bit older 17 &14 but nova is all about kids ;-) ride on VikeAz

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    My 7 year old son and I ride alot! We ride DC, Hawes, Sedona, Willow dells..where ever he loves it. I would be down for some other people with kids to ride with. DC is a good trail for them I think Papago is too hilly for little guys to climb.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Good to know there are others out there. I took my 8 year old to Hawes last Sunday, we parked at Walgreens and rode the trail, out for about two miles then back. It was a bit rugged for him at first, but then he got used to it. Please post up if anyone is planning this sort of casual ride with younger kids. We took a camera, so he could stop to take pictures whenever he got tired. We did six miles total.
    Just Ride!

A plethora of pinatas
    I think it is awesome that you are getting young riders together for rides! It is one of the best ways to keep the kids interested and having fun on the bike. My son started when he was 8 and riding with other kids was always one of his favorite things to do. The NOVA gang is a great organization for the kids.

My son is 15 now and still loves riding/racing all types of bikes. If anyone would like any info from our experiences, feel free to shoot me a PM and I would be happy to help if I can.
    Marty

mtbr member
    I tow my son on an Adam's Trail-a-Bike. We usually part an Western Star Blvd. and ride the flat side trail of Desert Classic to the tank. He's not too keen on the bumps yet (only 4).

But I've been thinking about taking him to Papago Park this Saturday morning...anyone want to tag along for a group ride? We don't go to fast and don't hit the bigger climbs, just more of an easy ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Meatbomb
    is that a child or an imperial storm trooper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    is that a child or an imperial storm trooper
    Depending on the day either Optimus Prime, Ironhide or Ratchet....

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    We ride all the time. Might be doing a sedona trip not this sat but next or up to prescott is any ones wants to go....

The trails in Sedona and Prescott r great for kids lots of stuf to jump off of and the dirt is softer when they fall!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Quote Originally Posted by Greffster
    We ride all the time. Might be doing a sedona trip not this sat but next or up to prescott is any ones wants to go....
    Cool pics.

I have Kona Hula that my son's has outgrown if anyone is looking for a nice kids MTB. It's 13" frame. Should be good from 4' up to about 5' maybe? IM me for more details.

www.krackedskulls.com

Members who have read this thread: 0