Grip Advice/Question- Mtbr.com
    Black and Sticky

Grip Advice/Question

I have a chronic sore shoulder. It's nothing that will keep me from riding, mostly causes discomfort when sleeping. Very sore for a few days after long, rough mtn bike rides. Not so bad after roadie ride. Turns out that the sore spot is the acromion and that area is slightly swollen.

During annual physical I mentioned this to my doctor. He said before we go crazy on treatment that I should examine equipment. First thing he suggested was to spend some money on a plush fork. (Did I say he is a really cool doc? He is the reason I ended up with a really nice road bike, "honey Dr. Daley said I would benefit from a new road bike and he says look into something called carbon fiber...") Well I probably got the plush fork handled with a Maverick DUC. I set it up and had it checked by LBS. Next he suggested I take a look at some cushioned grips, that sometimes even a millimeter of extra padding might be sufficient to make a difference.

So here's where I could use your advice. Once upon a time I rode a motorcycle and we used things called, sorry about this, "titty grips." This was the generic term for any grip that had extra padding. I remember the grips I had were very squishy, maybe 4-5 mm of cushioning, almost gel-like. Is there anything like that available for bikes? I looked at the grip product reviews and various searches, and couldn't find anything similar. FWIW I'm now using WTB Tech Trail grips, which I actually like very much. I also recently switched to a wider Moots Ti handlebar thinking that might help. Although that didn't help my shoulder, it does look pretty slick.

Anyway, thanks for your help or advice.

Bob
    (Don't try a google search for "titty grip" you'll be sorry.)
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    well, two things: one a millimeter isn't going to amount to much b the time it gets to your shoulder and two thicker grips often lead to a loss of control due to being "twisty" in your hand to to the thickness. I find over padded gel gloves to have less control than thicker ones in rough terrain..

Pivotal figure
    For thicker grips I like the Oury's. They have plenty of soft padding but not so much that it feels oversize.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Sam
    Second vote for Ourys.
    ---Thread Killer

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    For thicker grips I like the Oury's. They have plenty of soft padding but not so much that it feels oversize.
    Third.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Either Oury's or ESI's are great choices.

Black and Sticky

Great ideas thanks

Actually I think I've seen the Oury grips before: www.ourygrips.com/grips_menu.html. The mountain grips look promising. The ESI Chunky looks promising too and in fact that is close to what I was envisioning. Compared to alternatives, I guess grips are not that expensive and I can afford to try a few different kinds. I am doing the Pemberton night thing tonight and I was thinking of installing a wind or two of bar padding just to see if there is an effect of softer grips.

Thanks much.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

I bike, I brew
    I'm running the ODI Rogue grip... I really like them, they're lock-on, they're softer rubber that not only provides a little absorbsion, but makes the grip a little larger and makes it sweetly sticky to hold onto (without gathering dust/dirt). A friend of mine uses those ergo grips, which he swears by for comfort, but I felt really weird with because tou don't get a full "wrap around" with your hand, but for general XC use, they're going to be fine if you like that feeling..

Members who have read this thread: 0