mtbr member

Greer Mountain Biking

Going to be in Greer next weekend. Anyone know of some killer trails up there?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    los burros is close by. Get a hold of Davin at Cactus.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

meow
    The East Fork and West Fork trails make a great loop from Greer. East Fork #95 starts near the end of the main road, climbs for a while and then cruises south through meadows and forest. Picks up on a road for a while, then picks up West Fork #94 near the Baldy trail head, heads north and winds back to Greer. Here's a link to WMO with descriptions: http://www.wmonline.com/attract/trails/overvw1.htm

It's a gorgeous area and good chance you'll see some elk out there.

EDR
    Los Burros is a great trail. Also check out http://www.wmonline.com/attract/trails/efork.htm
    . I have not ridden the trails on that end of the map but if you search around you'll see several near Greer and the surrounding area. There is a particular 10 or 12 mile out and back that I have been meaning to do. Long climb up, bomb back down. it could be part of this East Fork trail area, idk.

mtbr member
    Sweet, thanks guys. AZ DOG - heal up brother

Just another half mile...
    There is a great loop that starts and ends in Greer. Mt Baldy Loop near Greer that combines the West Fork and East Fork trails of the Little Colorado River. Trailhead located at the end of SR 373 at the south end of Greer just past the Red Setter Inn.
    Route is counter clockwise by heading north back throught Greer and turning left on Osborn Road. Look for the TH in 0.2 miles. The first mile is the steepest and longest climb. After that is roles through forest and meadows. The ride ends an a fun singletrack DH back to the trailhead. Here is my MAP of the Loop.

Another fun trail is an out and back on the South Fork trail which is not to far away. South Fork Trail #97 drops down from Mexican Hay Lake and the follows the South Fork of the Little Colorado River. Great trails, one of the best in the White Mountains. Can be shuttled or ride out and back from the South Fork Campground. Mexican Hay Lake trail head is located on SR 261 on the way to Big Lake.

As others have stated, Los Burros is fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by ajcroft
    Going to be in Greer next weekend. Anyone know of some killer trails up there?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Another fun trail is an out and back on the South Fork trail which is not to far away. South Fork Trail #97 drops down from Mexican Hay Lake and the follows the South Fork of the Little Colorado River.

Ya! That's the ride I was referring to and am determined to hit this summer
    Thanks for the details (again, lol)

Tucson, AZ
    This might help also if you need the GPX or route info: http://sites.google.com/site/dirtypu.../whitemtns2010

Especially if you want to connect said trails, los burros and South Fork, 97, etc.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    This might help also if you need the GPX or route info: http://sites.google.com/site/dirtypu.../whitemtns2010

Especially if you want to connect said trails, los burros and South Fork, 97, etc.

Even better...and yes I will use the file. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I am pretty sure I did the beginning of east fork. I pedaled up to where it meets the Forrest road then bombed back down. It was fast and awesome. I am definitely going to check out the rest of the trail. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden much at all "at altitude". I think 5000 is TOPS. So how much preparation/training do you need to handle 7500+? I have driven on the Forest road 87 and its HIGH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlights
    I haven't ridden much at all "at altitude". I think 5000 is TOPS. So how much preparation/training do you need to handle 7500+? I have driven on the Forest road 87 and its HIGH.
    I am not sure I am the best example of training for it. I am an average rider. I do maybe two all mountain riders per week and some downhill shuttles. But for some reason I acclimate to the higher altitude rather quickly. The first 15 - 30 mins of either riding or hiking, I am gasping for air, then after that I can breath just fine and actually feel like I can ride longer than at normal elevation here in phoenix.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Pretty much you just end up downshifting a gear or two compared to what you would use if the trail were at lower elevation. That's all the preparation you need if you're fit enough to do rides at lower elevation. Get out and hit it.

EDIT:Oh, and depending on the time of year, weather can move in a lot quicker at elevation, so keep an eye on the forecast or pack a light shell. Temps can drop quick at 9000' when a monsoon rolls in. Staying well-hydrated helps your body deal with the elevation better too, important even if you're just camping up that high to avoid headaches and such from the altitude.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

mtbr member
    Well looks like the Greer Lodge burnt down. So we will not be going to greer this weekend.

thanks for the info anyways guys.

Tucson, AZ
    Well looks like the Greer Lodge burnt down. So we will not be going to greer this weekend.

thanks for the info anyways guys.
    At least you were not there yet...

EDR
    The lodge is still open from what i read on azcentral. I wouldn't go either though if I were you. Maybe make a camping trip out of it instead.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I know that in tahoe with little riding/living at high altitude riding at 9500-10000 hard killed me. The worse shape u are in, the bigger the effect imo. Really depends on how hard u are riding @ those alts tho.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The lodge is still open from what i read on azcentral. I wouldn't go either though if I were you. Maybe make a camping trip out of it instead.
    The main lodge, it's 10 rooms, and the restaurant in the main lodge burnt down. The rest of the facility (59 or so more rooms) and area are open and I'm sure after a disaster such as this they'd appreciate the patronage

No Clue Crew
    For anyone looking for Greer maps Dale's maps have been moved:

White Mountains Trail Maps

Members who have read this thread: 3