Great ride on BCT today, but...- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

Great ride on BCT today, but...

Got out super early to Rock Springs and rode the Little Pan Loop and back, what a fantastic morning; surprised to only run into 2 other bikers and 1 hiker - yet Rock Springs Cafe was packed as I left. ride details

Only issue, the "but", man the cats claw is growing long and sharp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great ride on BCT today, but...-photo1.jpg  

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Well done Randy, thats a good time. Cat claws are always a badge of honor out there.

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Glad you didn't run out of water on the way back.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Well done Randy, thats a good time. Cat claws are always a badge of honor out there.

Steve
    Thanks Steve. I guess I currently feel about 85% of where I should be, though I don't know that the extra 15% really will take much time off a ride like that. I'm shooting for sub - 3h15m time on that loop, but it certainly won't ruin my day if I don't hit it. I just love to get out and ride, but at the same time it helps motivate me a bit to set some realistic goals.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazelem View Post
    Glad you didn't run out of water on the way back.
    Boy the cooler weather makes all the difference. Two weeks ago I bought 120 ounces of water on that same ride, later in the day though, and I drank about 115 ounces!

Yesterday morning I also brought 120oz and only drank about 50oz of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I cannot wait to come down and ride BCT this winter. What a great system of trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Last year the group I ride with trimmed the cats claws from New River/Emery Henderson to the gas pipe line road above Black Canyon city. We will do it again this winter and hopefully get some credit with MBAA for some trail maintenance while we are at it. I rode the Pan loop from Emery Henderson a couple weeks ago and the cats claws completely block the trail when you get to the river on the East fork heading North.

Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Last year the group I ride with trimmed the cats claws from New River/Emery Henderson to the gas pipe line road above Black Canyon city. We will do it again this winter and hopefully get some credit with MBAA for some trail maintenance while we are at it. I rode the Pan loop from Emery Henderson a couple weeks ago and the cats claws completely block the trail when you get to the river on the East fork heading North.
    I don'tknow about MBAA,but you definitely get credit from me. Thanks much for doing that!!

Dirt Merchant
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Boy the cooler weather makes all the difference. Two weeks ago I bought 120 ounces of water on that same ride, later in the day though, and I drank about 115 ounces!

Yesterday morning I also brought 120oz and only drank about 50oz of it.
    Have to love this time of year... Can shed some water weight from your pack, or just go longer and farther without the fear of dehydration.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Thanks Steve. I guess I currently feel about 85% of where I should be, though I don't know that the extra 15% really will take much time off a ride like that. I'm shooting for sub - 3h15m time on that loop, but it certainly won't ruin my day if I don't hit it. I just love to get out and ride, but at the same time it helps motivate me a bit to set some realistic goals.
    Randy,
    I don't know how old you are but, I just turned 50. My best is about 3:25, I don't use a computer anymore. I don't see how you do it on a SSHT!!!! I think the most impressive part was your "stop" time. very impressive. Rode it yesterday Bumble Bee north about 2 hours. Interested in a shuttle from hwy 69 down to BBR?

Steve
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo View Post
    Randy,
    I don't know how old you are but, I just turned 50. My best is about 3:25, I don't use a computer anymore. I don't see how you do it on a SSHT!!!! I think the most impressive part was your "stop" time. very impressive. Rode it yesterday Bumble Bee north about 2 hours. Interested in a shuttle from hwy 69 down to BBR?

Steve
    SSHT! How dare you, SingleSpeed RIGID. I'm young at heart, but only a few years younger than you.

Sure I'd be interested in joining up for a ride out there. PM me and we can see if something works out time wise.

Just another half mile...
    We definitely appreciate the help trimming the cat claw along the BCT. To help the Black Canyon Trail Coalition (BCTC) maintain the BCT, please contact Bob at the BCTC (bob at bctaz dot org) to obtain the BLM form to work on the trail so we can keep track of volunteer hours maintaining the trail. The BCTC gets matching grant funds fo reach volunteer hour wokring on the BCT. Also, Bob will be able to give out MBAA credits for trail work, but we need the documentation. It's an easy form to fill out and email back.

The BCTC is currently working with BLM to implement a trail stewardship program for the BCT and hope to have this set up by next year for people to adopt sections of the BCT to help maintain. Sounds like your group woudl be a perfect candidate for the New River/Emery Henderson section. Once we get the program up, we will be looking for volunteers.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    We definitely appreciate the help trimming the cat claw along the BCT. To help the Black Canyon Trail Coalition (BCTC) maintain the BCT, please contact Bob at the BCTC (bob at bctaz dot org) so obtain the BLM form to wok on the trail so we can keep track of volunteer hours maintaining the trail. The BCTC gets matching funds fo reach volunteer hours woring on the BCT. Also, Bob will be able to give out MBAA credits for trail work, but we need the documentation. It's an easy form to fill out and email back.

The BCTC is currently working with BLM to implement a trail stewardship program for the BCT and hope to have this set up by next year for people to adopt sections to the BCT to help maintain. Sounds like your group woudl be q perfect candidate for the New River/Emery Henderson section. Once we get the program up, we will be looking for volunteers.

Great to know, I just ordered some small shears and a sheath the other day and am planning on a cat claw pruning ride soon. I'll fill out the form to help the matching funds, no need for MBAA credit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ah, last week did Table Mesa south to the saddle above Doe Spring. Yesterday did the Emery Henderson to the saddle above Doe Spring (yes, I know....it's the easy part of BCT....sue me). No cat claw in my way.

I always thought that maybe there was more cat claw north and it just grew faster up there (both of which may still be true). But I didn't realize you are the reason I have zero scratches. Much appreciated!

BTW, yesterday I used my left shoe to quickly kick a couple of pebbles loose to clear some clogged drains off the trail. That's considered hardcore trail work, right?

Got a suspension fork
    The cat claws and I have a date next weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great ride on BCT today, but...-photo1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Did you get scratched by a claw on your last ride or something?

Just another half mile...
    Actually the best tool to get rid of cat claw is a pick ax and dig them out. Trimming them back with a little tool just makes them bushier. Packing a little bigger tool like the 15" Fiskars loppers provides a bigger bite to cut them of at least near the base. The 15" loppers are lite and can easier packed, and they can be picked up at Home Deport or Lowes. Anyway, we'll take any help we can get to keep them nasty sucker at bay.

The cat claws and I have a date next weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Actually the best tool to get rid of cat claw is a pick ax and dig them out. Trimming them back with a little tool just makes them bushier. Packing a little bigger tool like the 15" Fiskars loppers provides a bigger bite to cut them of at least near the base. The 15" loppers are lite and can easier packed, and they can be picked up at Home Deport or Lowes. Anyway, we'll take any help we can get to keep them nasty sucker at bay.
    Those are the exact loppers we use. They are super light and fit it the mesh outer compartment of a camalbak mule or hawg. We try to cut the bushes back to the base as much as possible.

Got a suspension fork

I also have that exact pair already for around the house. I'll bring it too.

No Clue Crew
    How about you trim them then give them a nice drink of Ortho GroundClear