Thread: Granite Basin

Dooosh!

Granite Basin

Recomended trail route? Looking for something around 15 miles.

mtbr member
    So many possibilities, Try downloading a forrest service map of trails. I couldn't recommend any specific route because they are all so much fun. Get out there and explore.

mtbr member
    One option:

Park at Williamson Valley trailhead.
    Through gate, head west (take a right) on 308 to 345. After approximately one mile, look for 345 off and down to the left. Follow 345 to a gate. Through the gate to stay on 345 to the right.
    Stay on 345 all the way up past the dam where it takes you up to the left just before the parking lot. Exit 345 by crossing the paved road over to 351. If you don’t already have one, grab a trail map from Playa parking area. Just follow the paved road and it’ll take you right to it.
    351 up, then down to 349. 349 can go left or right here, go left.
    349 up and all the way around and down to Cayuse trailhead/parking. Look for 346 going up just to the left of trail 349 you just came down. Take 346 short up to a gate. Left through gate to 347. Take 347 off to the left, or back north where you started. Now enjoy the ride down 347 back to Williamson valley parking.

jeff

meow
    Yup, lots of options, but a great classic is starting at the Williamson Valley trailhead on Williamson Valley Rd. Take 347 south to 346, 351, 352 (long downhill bomber), north on 352 (Mint Wash Trail) and back via 347. Great maps found here: http://sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/index.html, click on N3-W2 and N2-W2 for this one.

It's about 11 miles.

mtbr member
    Typically the ride into Granite Basin from the Williamson Valley Trailhead sucks due to horse traffic. I have not been out there in a while so take it for what it is worth.

One of my favorite loops is to start at the Cayuse Equestrian parking area and head up 346. Then left and bomb down 347 all the way till you get to 345 which goes over to and through Mint Wash. Go up to the lake then right on the road to Metate. Then hop on 351 till it ends and left onto 349 which takes you back to Cayuse. If I remember correctly it was some where around 15 miles.

My 2 cents,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Reminder: day use parking increased to $5. Don't forget the other $3 to park within the rec. area. Still no charge on Wednesday.
    jeff

Dooosh!
    Right on! Thanks for the advice so far. I have never rode from the Williamson Valley trailhead. Sounds like it would be better than starting by the lake.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    Don't forget the other $3 to park within the rec. area.
    jeff
    Jeff say what I thought it went from two bucks to five buck now what's the three bucks all about?
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    Jeff say what I thought it went from two bucks to five buck now what's the three bucks all about?
    $2+$3=$5. Should have said additional $3. Sorry.
    $5 to park within the rec. area, $0 to park at williamson valley.

jeff

Members who have read this thread: 0