Grand Canyon at Christmas Time?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Grand Canyon at Christmas Time?

Hey guys and gals I have a Grand Canyon question. Im a newbie here from Ca. I'm very familiar with the N.P.'s in the Seirras but have never been to the Grand Canyon. I was planning on taking the family up there over Christmas Vacation. Does anyone have any info on hiking conditions this time of year. I'm interested in day hikes at about 5 miles, that my younger kids could manage. Any info would be great.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Hey guys and gals I have a Grand Canyon question. Im a newbie here from Ca. I'm very familiar with the N.P.'s in the Seirras but have never been to the Grand Canyon. I was planning on taking the family up there over Christmas Vacation. Does anyone have any info on hiking conditions this time of year. I'm interested in day hikes at about 5 miles, that my younger kids could manage. Any info would be great.
    i took my niece and nephew there last Tday, they were 6 and 8. They made it about a mile down Bright Angel and then back, and were pretty worked. Anything into the Canyon will be steep and have obstacles that might challenge a child, imo. Its just a matter of how far you want to go. A rim hike might be better, I am not too familiar with specific trails but i know there are good ones a bit away from the main drag. It will be crowded during the holidays and park entry will take you a while - 30 min is not unexpected. Its 7000 elev. so it will be very cold. As long as there is no precipitation, the trails will be fine.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just wanted to add you should be prepared for ice on the trails. Instep crampons and hiking poles are enough but that's pending some precip Usually, the first mile or so of the trails will be patchy ice. Also, in my experience the crowds are very lite during x-mas and new years.

Wait, what!?
    It is beautiful when there is snow up there, but it will be cold. You can walk along a road for a ways that will take you to some nice viewpoints, but I might advise against any hiking into the canyon with little ones.

azstumpy
    Bro, It will be very cold on the Rim, and icy on the trails. You absolutely need to be prepared for zero degree night temps. Do not take kids below the rim - way too much ice and mud. Try the hike/bus to Hermit's Rest - much safer. The Rim Trail is also real nice.

Also, get ready for the nicest Winter vista you have ever seen. Try to time it with a full moon.

mtbr member
    ya know it very well could be cold but it also could easily be in the 50s or even low 60s in late December. Any precip that falls as snow (none since early Oct) will stick so yes the top part of the trails could be icy. Even so, if it's been a few days you could hike down to Cedar Point on the Kaibab without much problem if you don't mind mule piss. It's a great time to visit the park because it will be mostly empty.

Something I like to do when I take visitors to the south rim is to hike the dirt 2 track to Shoshone Point. It's gated at the turnoff. Park there and unless it's a sat and booked for a wedding it makes for a nice secluded 1.5 mi hike through the Ponderosas to your very own point w/out likely anyone else and also has some picnic tables and an outhouse for convenience which makes it easier with kids. The kids will also dig the Desert View Watchtower out by Lippan Point. And a small store there as well for snacks or whatever and you can avoid the whole S. Rim village scene. However, a hot toddy on a cold day by the fireplace in the El Tovar is pretty nice as well....

My only other 2 cents would be to be extremely careful about being on I17/I40 or even the road between Flag and the S. Rim if a winter storm does blow in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    Not knowing you and your kids, I agree with the folks who suggest not taking the kids down below the rim. Those trails are steep under the best of conditions. Now, if your kids are avid hikers and in shape, and if trail conditions are safe, it might be fun to drop down the main trail from the south rim 15 minutes or so. That would be just far enough to give you a whole other perspective on how vast the canyon is. Just remember it is all uphill going back out.

The hike/bus option out to Hermit's Rest is a great one. The park closed the road to private autos, and runs a free bus out there and back. There are multiple stops along the way, and buses run frequently. So you can hop on and off the bus as you please.

Another Broken Spoke
    If the weather permits, the best hike I can suggest is to go down the South Kaibab. There's a shuttle that will get you there, although you'll want to check the schedule, because they don't run as often in the winter. The South Kaibab has an awesome vista called Skeleton Point that's about 1.5 mi from the top. The return is steep, like walking up stairs, so don't be fooled by the short trip out. Also, there's no water at all.

It's a much better hike than going down Bright Angel, for instance. The only reason to go down Bright Angel, in my book, is to go to Plateau Point. Other than this vista (which is 7 miles one way), the Bright Angel trail isn't that rewarding a hike. In contrast, the South Kaibab rewards you constantly with differing angles and vistas, as you descend along or near a ridge, nearly the whole way down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks For All The Info!!!! I Can't Wait

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here's another thought or two. There are a ton of other intersting things to check out regionally if time and interest permit. There are a wide range of Indian ruins more or less in that area, most in very scenic spots and each different from the others. Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, Montezuma Castle are the ones I remember off hand. There's also a ruin in the Verde Valley between Sedona and Prescott; I don't remember that name.

If you get off the interstate between Phoenix and Flagstaff, the area around Sedona is beautiful. The old highway goes up Oak Creek Canyon and will also get you to Flagstaff. While Sedona has gone from being a tiny retirement community to a chi-chi new age spot, the scenery is stunning.

Members who have read this thread: 0