GPS Goodness...- Mtbr.com

Thread: GPS Goodness...

I am Walt

GPS Goodness...

Wow...finally starting to figure out how to use my Garmin 305 as more than a simple bike computer. Tried the software that came in the box...that sucked. Went to Motion Based...found that Garmin has purchased it and renamed it GarminConnect. Set up an account, uploaded the info from the device...and it's AWESOME! Easy to edit everything (e.g. I carry it for trail runs, so I can easily edit it to a run), and easy and cool to navigate around and look at your rides/runs. Simple to share it to Facebook...

I'm hooked! hikerdave, feel free to comment or elaborate on features, etc.

I still need to figure out how to upload tracks, then navigate by them.

Note: I went to Topofusion, and it shows as Windows-only. I have a Macbook Pro, so I didn't go with that.
    Ride more; post less...

My other ride is your mom
    right on.....IMO, the learning curve on the edge series is a little steeper than other "Adult toys".....getting used to the ins and outs of manipulating, converting, chopping, uploading, etc all of your tracks and others is frustrating at first....this is coming from someone who has a solid GIS background too....so I think that says something. The fact that garmin uses it's own format over a gpx is a pain.....I usually convert everything into gpx before doing anything with the files.

Black and Sticky
    Went thru same learning curve on my 305 last year Walt. I even have same issue re: using a MacBook Pro. If you are looking for a program like Topofusion, try Ascent. Can be purchased from developer (www.montebellosoftware.com) or others like geomangear.com. I have had mixed results with MotionBased.com or Garminconnect or whatever they are calling it now. When it works, it's great. But the last few months it has been very hit and miss. Have fun with your 305.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

I am Walt
    Let's see if this works...here's a link to my ride today - did BCT out-and-back to the Little Pan Loop. Started just after 6:30 am; it was too hot to do the full loop at that point. Fought off cramps towards the end as it was, and cramped as soon as I got back to the car at the Rock Springs TH.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10387677

Bob, I think the issues you saw on Garmin Connect were due to them updating code and moving stuff over from MotionBased. It's been working smoothly thus far for me.
    Ride more; post less...

question

Despite being an IT guy I really don't understand the full capability of these devices. I get the whole "it can map your ride and tell you alot about what you did" thing - and that is pretty cool in itsself.

However, I like to go to new places I've never ridden and the whole getting lost thing can be kind of scary out here in the desert.
    Can you upload a route into it and have it guide you along that route? I'm thinking that would be most useful in areas where I've never been. Of course that brings up the question of "where would you get routes to download" if that capability exists.

I'm "this close" to getting one of these doo dads just for the ability to explore new areas without ending up as vulture food.

--Jeff

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    This is cool stuff Walt, much easer to use now.
    here's a link to our AZT ride with added singletrack
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10325132
    Darwin was an Optimist

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    Despite being an IT guy I really don't understand the full capability of these devices. I get the whole "it can map your ride and tell you alot about what you did" thing - and that is pretty cool in itsself.
    Yeah, totally cool just looking at, and thinking about, all the data, and how it tracks to a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    I like to go to new places I've never ridden and the whole getting lost thing can be kind of scary out here in the desert.
    Can you upload a route into it and have it guide you along that route? I'm thinking that would be most useful in areas where I've never been. Of course that brings up the question of "where would you get routes to download" if that capability exists.
    Bingo...this is the next "level" of what I want/need to learn/explore with regard to the device. The answer to your question, is Yes, you/it can, but I don't know how...yet. It's one of the reasons I'm not doing that Crazy 88 on Aug 8 - I haven't yet learned how to load and navigate by the GPS track, and I don't want to be *that* guy that gets completely freaking lost...

Lots of very experience users on here, so lots of beta to be had...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Let's see if this works...here's a link to my ride today - did BCT out-and-back to the Little Pan Loop. Started just after 6:30 am; it was too hot to do the full loop at that point. Fought off cramps towards the end as it was, and cramped as soon as I got back to the car at the Rock Springs TH.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/10387677
    That's pretty cool.

[Edit: When I'm only typing a three word post, I need to be quicker to hit 'send' ]
    Last edited by unclenorm; 08-02-2009 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, totally cool just looking at, and thinking about, all the data, and how it tracks to a ride.

Bingo...this is the next "level" of what I want/need to learn/explore with regard to the device. The answer to your question, is Yes, you/it can, but I don't know how...yet. It's one of the reasons I'm not doing that Crazy 88 on Aug 8 - I haven't yet learned how to load and navigate by the GPS track, and I don't want to be *that* guy that gets completely freaking lost...

Lots of very experience users on here, so lots of beta to be had...
    I'm pretty sure I've heard of the ability to 'race against yourself' along a previously ridden route? i.e. see how much faster/slower ahead/behind you are against your last time out. I'd imagine you could use a similar set up for just following someone else's ride. Not necessarily racing, just follow the route.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by unclenorm
    I'm pretty sure I've heard of the ability to 'race against yourself' along a previously ridden route? i.e. see how much faster/slower ahead/behind you are against your last time out. I'd imagine you could use a similar set up for just following someone else's ride. Not necessarily racing, just follow the route.
    Yep...Garmin has that feature, though I haven't figured it out yet...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Yep...Garmin has that feature, though I haven't figured it out yet...
    Best way to navigate using your '305 is to download a course file from Garmin Connect or other community-based data source and then follow the course.

Once you have followed a path for the first time, you can upload to Garmin Connect as history and then download as a course, so that you can follow that path again.

The '305 will also follow a route, which can be created with many programs, such as Road Trip, but the accuracy of the route depends on you having a good map for the area in the first place.

Dave
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    Wow...finally starting to figure out how to use my Garmin 305 as more than a simple bike computer. Tried the software that came in the box...that sucked. Went to Motion Based...found that Garmin has purchased it and renamed it GarminConnect. Set up an account, uploaded the info from the device...and it's AWESOME! Easy to edit everything (e.g. I carry it for trail runs, so I can easily edit it to a run), and easy and cool to navigate around and look at your rides/runs. Simple to share it to Facebook...

I'm hooked! hikerdave, feel free to comment or elaborate on features, etc.

I still need to figure out how to upload tracks, then navigate by them.

Note: I went to Topofusion, and it shows as Windows-only. I have a Macbook Pro, so I didn't go with that.
    FYI, I saw in the paper the 305 for $129 (Best Buy maybe?). I have the 205 (no HRM) and paid 179 on sale I believe.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

I'm not doing that Crazy 88 on Aug 8 - I haven't yet learned how to load and navigate by the GPS track, and I don't want to be *that* guy that gets completely freaking lost...

I'm with you on that. I have resolved to get one of these and figure out how to use it by next year so I can do the 88 and not be *that* guy.

Thanks for the info.

BTW, there is a class on these things at REI next week. Not sure how usefull it'll be, but I'll likely go just to see what I can learn.
    http://www.rei.com/stores/store_event_detail.jsp?pid=CE5912A95EE1776DCFE984C 42DFB2839&template_id=30&template_family=webDetail&ignore_cache=1

mtbr member
    I think GPSs are cool and definatly on the list of toys I want.

The crazy 88 is marked (just for the race) well enough that with a little map work and study, I feel that I can ride with out a GPS. that said, I did recon yesterday with someone that had a 305. it was nice to know how big the climbs were.

now that I've outed myself....I guess that means I'll be *that* guy.
    b

Members who have read this thread: 0