mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Good XC/Enduro tire for Phoenix area?

I just started riding again, and picked up an Ellsworth Truth with some Mavic Crossmax SL tubeless rims, and I am looking for a good tire for the rocky terrain you will find on most mountains in Arizona!

I am doing mostly XC with a little downhill and some rock gardens.

Looking for a good tubeless compatible 26" tire between 2.1"-2.3" wide that will work well with Arizona terrain.

Also, whats a good LBS that can mount these with new rim tape and sealant if I dont feel like messing with it and want it done right the first time? And whats a reasonable asking price from an LBS to do this?

Thanks for the input!

mtbr member

Kill me now!!!!!!!!!!!! In a 26er, check out the Panaracer Fire. And do yourself a favor and learn how to mount the tires yourself.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Kill me now!!!!!!!!!!!! And do yourself a favor and learn how to mount the tires yourself.
    I could shoot you if that is your wish, but please write a note exonerating me!

I can mount what I consider to be a normal tire in a speedy fashion. I have changed many a flat on the trail or road. However, it looks like things have changed a lot since I last rode. Folding tires, UST, tubeless, ghetto tubeless, rim tape, rim strip, rim job, and on, and on!

I really didnt want to find out that I did a sheit job mounting tire as I am descending rock garden and eat sh*t when my tire decides to burp.

Additionally, I would like to establish relationship with an LBS, and who better to teach me about all the new tubeless sh*t. So quit bustin my balls ok pepe! ;-)

In a 26er, check out the Panaracer Fire.
    Looks like a nice tire, thanks for the recommendation!

mtbr member

Fair enough. Sunday Cycles. Good people. (And ask them if they carry Panaracer Fires, but wink when you do it.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Fair enough. Sunday Cycles. Good people. (And ask them if they carry Panaracer Fires, but wink when you do it.)
    Nice! and Thanks! Sunday Cycles is close to me, and I was looking at them and bicycles of phoenix as they are also close. Should I ask them if they come in pink, and then wink? ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've been Running geax saguaros 26x2.2 w Stan's tubeless in the phoenix area and very happy with them.

mtbr member
    Run a strip of Gorilla Tape on the rim, install tire, add sealant, and blast it with air and it'll be fine. Gorilla Tape works great and it costs about 3 bucks for an inch wide roll.

EDR

Re: Good XC/Enduro tire for Phoenix area?

Are your rims tubeless compatible? I wasn't aware a bike shop would set up a ghetto tubeless for a customer, seems like a huge liability issue to me. Now if your rims are truly tubeless compatible but just need a rim strip then that's a different story.

Pivotal figure
    I've been completely amazed with the Ardent/Ikon combo I'm running on my hard tail and short travel bikes. Both are the 3C/EXO/TR version, 2.25 Ardent & 2.35 Ikon. Fast rolling, great grip, wear life is unreal. Not cheap but the wear life and toughness evens it out for me.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by azdriver8 View Post
    I've been Running geax saguaros 26x2.2 w Stan's tubeless in the phoenix area and very happy with them.
    but they get sheared bald in like 2 months

mtbr member
    For PHX-area, I've been happy w/ Maxxis High Roller IIs, or the newest Bontrager X4/X3 team issues for a lighter, less knobby tread.

Also, no shame in having LBS set them up for you the first time if you're not confident doing it yourself. Just make sure you trust the LBS to do it right, as the consequences can be fatal.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Specialized Purgatory 2bliss 2.3, grid casing works well in Phoenix area. If you want a lighter tire, go with the Control casing version but I did tear a sidewall there with this casing.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    2.3's may be a little wide for the rear on that frame. I run a 2.0 Captain, 2.0 Fasttrack on my Truth.

mtbr member
    I have a 26 Ikon brand new that I would sell...And if you need help with tubeless conversion, there are plenty of us on here that have done it. Its not hard, but can be challenging sometimes.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Re-reading the original post...I believe your rims are UST and would not need rim tape. A tire with a UST bead should seat right up without concerns over burping. Nothing wrong with getting to know your LBS though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So many options! Doing extensive research on the internet is great, but overwhelming without the direction provided in these forums, so the input by all is much appreciated!

A little more back story, and I apologize up front for the lengthy diatribe, but it gives the whole rider picture!

The reason I was looking for new tires is because I purchased the bike on eBay from a seller on the east coast, so I ASSumed the setup, at least tire wise was probably based on their riding conditions on east coast.

The tires that are on it now are the Bontrager Revolt Super X Lite, which seem to be well reviewed tires Bontrager Revolt Super X Tubeless Tire Reviews - Mtbr.com. The tires themselves are in great shape, and look brand new. So at this point I am thinking the need/want for new tires lies in the riders (me) confidence level, skills, and comfort!

I originally had a 2001 Ellsworth Truth, and rode that for 3-4 years on South Mountain, doing mostly Desert Classic, Mormon, and National. Admittedly I felt more comfortable on Dessert Classic then I did riding up Mormon, and down National. I would walk sections of National as it was beyond my skill/comfort level. Flipping over my handlebars and tumbling down a small cliff didnt help. ;-) Eventually I got out of mountain biking as I started having problems with my knees due to sand volleyball.

I got back into mountain biking a few months ago. As I was out walking around the McDowell Mountain trails I was amazed at the sweeping views, smooth trails, and gradual climbs and decents. I wanted to see more, but my legs would only carry me so far!

So I decided to get a bike so I could explore more of the trails the McDowells offered. Instead of rushing out and buying a 3-5K bike without knowing how my knees would hold up (double knee surgery), I decided to find something used on craigslist. I ended up getting a decent deal on a used Fuji Tahoe 29er.

I rode my 29er a dozen or so times, and I loved being back out on the trails, but something didn't feel quite right. When descending some of the rock gardens on Lost Dog, and the Quartz trails, the bike just didnt feel nimble at navigating the rocks, and the bike felt like it wanted to go off the trail, again this is probably more the riders fault then the bike!

However, I didnt remember having these issues with my Ellsworth and descending much more technical trails like National. My knees held up in the dozen or so rides I did, and I loved being out on the trails, so I decided to get an Ellsworth Truth like I use to have.

Unfortunately when I took it out on the Quartz trail I felt even MORE uncomfortable, LESS confident, and more squirrely than I did on the 29er. I was all over the place on the decents and had to stop 10x as many times as I did on the 29er.

The tires just felt to small! Again, at this point I am sure its 90% rider, and maybe 10% bike, as I am sure I can make some improvement on the bike to make me more confident. I am thinking wider, beefier tires might inspire more confidence.

Learning how to ride my bike will probably be the best upgrade though!

mtbr member
    I decided to try out the Geax Goma. I had Specialized Grond Control-Control tires before. I had no issue with the Spec. tires but I thought I would try something on the AM/Enduro side of things. Super sticky and soft. I also went with the 2.4" and I thought for sure that my lap times would slow down on the XC loop I ride near my home but they actually got a bit faster. Could be I just am getting better but I can't help but give the tires credit. I rode up on 50yr yesterday and they did awesome of the tech climbs out there.

Now only if my legs and lungs were a bit stronger...

I ride a Niner Rip9

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I believe someone already mentioned this but I just want to reiterate, the crossmax SL wheels should be true UST and do not require rim tape. They should be very easy to setup tubeless. Just make sure you clean any dirt off the bead with soap and water. Stans has a video on adding sealant. Also, stay away from the Panaracer XC tire. They tend to wash out easily and spontaneously. Something to do with the side knob ramping. They are not a good front tire in AZ. A cheap setup that I use is a Kenda Nevegal up front and a Kenda Slant Six on the rear. I usually find them for $28-35 each online. I get the 120tpi DTC folding.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I believe someone already mentioned this but I just want to reiterate, the crossmax SL wheels should be true UST and do not require rim tape. They should be very easy to setup tubeless. Just make sure you clean any dirt off the bead with soap and water. Stans has a video on adding sealant. Also, stay away from the Panaracer XC tire. They tend to wash out easily and spontaneously. Something to do with the side knob ramping. They are not a good front tire in AZ. A cheap setup that I use is a Kenda Nevegal up front and a Kenda Slant Six on the rear. I usually find them for $28-35 each online. I get the 120tpi DTC folding.

Thanks for that reply... That is the EXACT tire setup I had in my cart yesterday, and because of the low price I felt like I was skimping on tires. So I started doing more research. Now I am looking at the Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin 2.4 up front, and Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin 2.1 in rear. Spendy, but seems like a solid durable bomb proof tire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Went with the 2.4 Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin up front, and 2.1 Kenda Nevegal DTC UST in rear...

Now I just need to get these bad boys and get them mounted.

I am inclined to try and mount them myself, but I hear its a b*tch with just a floor pump. I actually have an air compressor on my Jeep, but I cant find an inexpensive ready made attachment for compressor and presta valve.

mtbr member
    not saying this option is for everyone...just what works for me since I really don't like compressors... never seemed to work...

I buy the co2 cartridges in bulk
    200 CO2 12g Threaded Cartridges Bike Tire Ball Inflator Air Gun | eBay

and use them. $.60 a cartridge really beats the $2-$2.50 they charge in bike shops.