Good entry bike for a shorter lady- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good entry bike for a shorter lady

My girlfriend was interested in riding with me occasionally but first we must go bike shopping...

She is about 5'2", and always has a hard time reaching the handle bars on most bikes... Any suggestions for something that will fit her?

And I don't mean the band
    I'm as tall as her, a frame size 16" or under is best. I use short stems (50 and 70mm), and short crankarms (165 and 170mm). Don't waste your time with the women specific bikes, I find it a big marketing scheme, they charge extra money while the mainstream bikes actually come with lower end components, unless you get the 'expert' versions. You can make any bike work with the right components.

If you're interested in building something up for her, I might be willing to sell my specialized frame with the 165mm crankset + headset + fork (this is NOT a stock bike).

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great advice, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Do most bike companies make a 16" frame?

And I don't mean the band
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    Thanks for the great advice, pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Do most bike companies make a 16" frame?
    Most name brand companies even make 14" and 15" bikes. The specialized in the picture is a 15". Brands to look at are Kona, Specialized, Trek (though I'm personally not so thrilled with their bikes), Jamis. I would shoot for the smallest size you can find, a beginner will like the low center of gravity of a smaller bike, and the extra standover.

Also I would say try and find something with a more relaxed head angle, those are very stable on the trails, and handle good, though later on can be a pain when it becomes tight and technical, but that's when you move on to a different bike .

Also check out this thread by the way: HERE
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

BLAWG

parenting for gnarness
    my wife looked at the SC Juliana, which is a women's version of the Superlight. It was just smaller. There are a few things you can do to better fit a woman such as smaller diameter on the handlebars, a good fit for the cockpit, adjusting brake lever location for smaller hands. In our experience, you will often pay more for the women's model, cause they don't make as many. Also hard to find demos. They also in my experience were more limited to XC type bikes cause, generally, more women who do get into mtb'ing prefer that style over more AM riding initially.

The brands Vanhalen references are higher volume, so chances are better for finding one in a shop in the right size, or easy to get one ordered from inventory.

FWIW, we're looking to sell my wife's old superlight. complete, built on a M frame. She is about 5' 5". let me know if you are interested.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Master Gardener
    World Champion Heather Irmiger is 5'2". Google and see what she rides. Incidentally, I know she rides a 29er, which will throw a wrench in the cogs of the typical anti-29er arguments.

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    World Champion Heather Irmiger is 5'2". Google and see what she rides. Incidentally, I know she rides a 29er, which will throw a wrench in the cogs of the typical anti-29er arguments.
    Her team-mate, Willow, is also on a 29er and stands around 5'2" too. Here is a pic of here with my son who is 5'4" at Interbike this year (NOTE: Willow is wearing high heals) - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c&id=620913833
    Marty

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    After looking around at a few shops and several different brands, I recently purchased a Specialized Myka HT Sport Disc (09) for my daughter's 12th b-day. It is a nice entry level women's specific hard tail, with decent SRAM and Suntour components and suspension fork. I think it's a very nice bike for the money, worth a look.

ps: She's 5'1", btw.
    Last edited by azoutside; 10-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanHalen

Also check out this thread by the way: HERE
    Lol just spent the last 15 minutes reading through some of those threads... Do guys really try and pick up girls in the women's lounge?

Members who have read this thread: 0