mtbr member
    Dec 2015

Good beginner trails

Possibly a beaten subject but any advice on decent beginner trails? Nothing too long, maybe under 5 miles?

mtbr member
    I've heard Hawes trail isn't too gnarly. I'm planning on riding there as well. Here's a video someone posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfC54a_MxyM
    26 ain't dead....

mtbr member
    Papago Park, Apache Wash to the east, Browns Ranch. All easy, all fun.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks you guys

mtbr member
    Hawes is not good for beginners. I'd stick to the trails cstem mentioned. Also check out http://www.trailforks.com/region/arizona/map/ any trail is green is easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks bubbles, I mean chillis

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Pemberton / McDowell Mtn Park is good too. Cstems suggestions hit exactly what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    I may not be very fast...but I sure am slow!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Sweet thanks guys. I'll hit up papago tomorrow

mtbr member
    Funny that Pemberton and brown's are always mentioned as easy yet I know of many good riders that crash there. There aren't a lot of tech features but the kitty litter on corners is treacherous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I can crash in a parking lot.

I agree with you though that the gravel-ish type trails at Brown's and Pemberton can be really slippery though. Just not as many sharp rocks to fall on I suppose.

mtbr member
    I rode San Tan a lot when I began getting more serious about riding. It has some nice variation in the terrain out there. As someone else said, Trailforks is a great app to have on your phone when riding.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I would recommend the Blevins 3 mile loop at Usery Regional park in Mesa. It was a great starter trail. The loop takes you back to where you started so you don't have to worry about where you are going and it has a little mix of light downhills and climbs. Start in the clockwise direction.

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post
    I would recommend the Blevins 3 mile loop at Usery Regional park in Mesa. It was a great starter trail. The loop takes you back to where you started so you don't have to worry about where you are going and it has a little mix of light downhills and climbs. Start in the clockwise direction.

Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County
    Thanks man. I've done the moon rock one once. My girlfriend likes to walk around there so we go there often. I'll check out blevin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    Funny that Pemberton and brown's are always mentioned as easy yet I know of many good riders that crash there. There aren't a lot of tech features but the kitty litter on corners is treacherous.
    When you go too fast... I saw a guy break his collarbone on Rock Knob. He it the ONLY rock there and went over the bars. Places like that are all easy so you tend to ride faster and push deeper in the corners and that leads to crashes.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

My other ride is your mom
    I've spent the last year mentoring my wife as she started riding recently....another subject for another time....Hawes is not really a good place to take a learner. In the same area however is Usery Park which is better for a beginner. Think wide trails and not singletrack. N side of Pemberton is another easy area.

mtbr member
    If you are in the west valley, I'd say the White Tanks has a few that would work. The competitive loops are beginner friendly, as are most of the trails at the base of the mountain, such as Waddell trail, Ford canyon (section east of Waddell trail), etc. Mule Deer trail is a good trail to work on beginner climbing. Just avoid Mesquite and Goat Camp.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    If you are in the west valley, I'd say the White Tanks has a few that would work. The competitive loops are beginner friendly, as are most of the trails at the base of the mountain, such as Waddell trail, Ford canyon (section east of Waddell trail), etc. Mule Deer trail is a good trail to work on beginner climbing. Just avoid Mesquite and Goat Camp.
    Looks nice. Nowhere near me but no reason I can't make a day out of it with the future miss

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    What kind of bike are you riding? Hard tail or full suspension? 26, 27.5, or 29er?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashtestdummee View Post
    What kind of bike are you riding? Hard tail or full suspension? 26, 27.5, or 29er?
    29 inch hardtail

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Basic 29er hard tail can do a lot of trails. Practice doing the Blevins loop. Once you get confindent on it. You can step it up to some of the trails in Hawes system which are really fun! This is a great map of the Hawes system which is really fun.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...7b84EbBQ&hl=en

A lot of us are in Mesa so if you want to ride with some others just give a shout. I am a newer rider and just started riding Hawes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    When you go too fast... I saw a guy break his collarbone on Rock Knob. He it the ONLY rock there and went over the bars. Places like that are all easy so you tend to ride faster and push deeper in the corners and that leads to crashes.
    +1 about Mcdowell. Yeah be careful there. Crashed there twice. Last time, broke my hip washing out in a turn when I smashed my side into the ground during the Fat Tire 40 race.

Usery and San Tan's pretty cool. Not too technical but still fun.

Thread Killer
    If you're getting comfortable riding Usery including Cat's Peak, I would say try Desert Classic out to the water tanks, San Tan mountain park from the main entrance, McDowell Mt Park MMP competitive loops.
    Not knowing where you've been riding, Hawes will most likely be a rude awakening for you if you're looking for beginner trails. It's not very technical but it will be a big step up in testing you're fitness and you'll probably feel beat down if you go very far past the trails along the houses or Power Rd IMHO.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.