mtbr member

Good all around tire for Phx area trails??

Anyone have any suggestions for a good all around performing tire in our rocky, dry terrain? I'm newer to mountain biking and not real sure what works best in what conditions. I'm 225 lbs and would prefer to stay in the 2.25 - 2.35 range.

Right now I'm using hutchinson spiders front and rear and have no confidence in them at all. I do have a bmx past and know how to ride, but these tires wash out easy. Just looking for an upgrade.

mtbr member
    I like these http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Price is good too!

You will have a variety of mixed opinions on tires. For some reason a tire will work great for one person and not for the next. Who knows why people can have widely different experiences with the same tire

mtbr member
    I've had great luck with the Conti Mountain King Protection. The tread works great for AZ rocks/sand and the Black Chili rubber is impressive. Not cheap though. I got them for $45 a pop, but I've seen them as high as $77. My next tire will be the Rubber Queen...if I can find them in this country.
    Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way...turn.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Geax Saguaro

I like the Saguaro as a front tire. It has good grip to it and its fairly fast rolling. They aren't expensive either. Back tire is a crossmark. I think running Saguaros on both front and back would work well but I like having the crossmark in the back since its more slender tire Just preference I guess.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

Tiff

parenting for gnarness
    depends on if you want XC, DH, or AM somewhat.

For XC, I like the geax saguaros and wtb exiwolfs.

For AM, I am liking the Maxxis Ignitor. I liked the grip of Kenda Nevegals but not the fast wear or slow rolling.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

EDR
    Spechy Chunder Controls. Love that tire for around here but they don't make a true UST so I gave up on them.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Kenda Nevegals!!! They are siiiiick! Or a good set of High Rollers...always good for ripping up the desert! Or whatever you budget will allow. I'm a big fan of everyone else's take off's.

Fragile - must be Italian
    I've gerally found that the best tire combo for the desert is the following:

Front tire = big tire/big knobs....such as Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Rampage, Maxxis Minion (the single ply version)

Back tire = big tire/small knobs....such as Geax Saguaro, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35, Kenda Small Block 8 DTC 2.35

The front tires listed above are going to be very grippy, roll a little slow, and be a little heavy. I prefer that. If you want something a little quicker, try a WTB Exiwolf, WTB Mutanoraptor, or Geax Saguaro up front.

Regardless, on the back you want a fast rolling tire (meaning small knobs). We don't have roots or mud/slop here, so tires with paddles will just slow you down and wear faster.

Thx....Doug

mtbr member
    2nd the "Chunder Controls" I have them on 2 of 3 of my bikes

sprocket
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    I've gerally found that the best tire combo for the desert is the following:

Front tire = big tire/big knobs....such as Kenda Nevegal, Panaracer Rampage, Maxxis Minion (the single ply version)

Back tire = big tire/small knobs....such as Geax Saguaro, Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35, Kenda Small Block 8 DTC 2.35

The front tires listed above are going to be very grippy, roll a little slow, and be a little heavy. I prefer that. If you want something a little quicker, try a WTB Exiwolf, WTB Mutanoraptor, or Geax Saguaro up front.

Regardless, on the back you want a fast rolling tire (meaning small knobs). We don't have roots or mud/slop here, so tires with paddles will just slow you down and wear faster.

Thx....Doug
    yes. I run a rampage up front and a saguaro in the back.

Pivotal figure
    I'm a Maxxis fan, Highrollers and Ardents. Ignitors are a really good all-around tire though, better rolling resistance and wear life (not quite as aggressive as Highrollers).
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Spechy Chunder Controls. Love that tire for around here but they don't make a true UST so I gave up on them.
    I too like the Chunder control ft and back for AM riding all over AZ, I have not had any issues or problems with the non UST design.

My other ride is your mom
    you know....it's funny that this is the time of year the tire threads come out...just look at the few already running in parallel right now....must be the drying out of the trails and overall loose conditions that cause us to "get religion". I really like what dgangi said above regarding his philosophy on front and rear tires....it's something I've found for myself in only a year of riding.

For the OP...since you mention that you are washing out...look for far more aggressive side knobs with square edges found on tires like the Kenda Nevgal or the WTB Weirwolf. Also...since you are new...you're prolly still messing around with your ideal tire pressure....it'll take some time, just be patient. Gamble on the low side in spite of snakebites for tubed applications, or belching for tubeless (ghetto tubeless highly recommended - any method). Once you find that pressure threshold...kick it up a notch, write the pressure down and dial it in each ride.

You'll soon learn that there's a trade off for the grip you get with the side knobs (slower rolling, squirmy on hardpack and rock edging)....so just consider it all part of the learning experience until you know what you like and are willing to put up with. My two cents given the XC to all-mountain I tend to do....I need the aggressive side knobs in the dry season down here for XC and trail riding(now until the monsoons come)...after which, I can get by with a smoother tire because the squirm on the rocks and slow rolling bugs me. Lastly....the talk of wear life when I was learning was not as important since I did not really "know" what I wanted or was looking for...so I would discount that a little until you get dialed in exactly what blend of handling characteristics you are looking for and feel comfortable with. In the end...you're always compromising on something.

mtbr member
    Kenda Nevegals. Stay away from the Specialized, the sidewalls can't handle the rocks. I tried them and ripped a hole in the sidewall after 4 months. 70 bucks down the drain and it didn't even grip as well as the Kenda. Specialized won't see any more of my $. Tubless 2.35 by the way.

mtbr member
    Thank you for all the suggestions everyone. I just bought a rampage for the front and a small block 8 for the rear. I'll know soon enough how it does.

I think the hutchinson spiders I have now will work well for tacky or wet conditions since they're pretty aggressive but very widely spaced knobs. They seem to work decent in the rear but for me they are horrible in the front in dry conditions.

Members who have read this thread: 0