Gonna try javelina/ east loop for first time- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gonna try javelina/ east loop for first time

Gonna try fire road / mormon / javelina / east loop / back to pima lot for the first time tomorrow. Been doing DC / some easy Hawes stuff for the last month and think I'm gonna try to step it up. If you see any helicopters hovering, you'll know why

No but in all seriousness, I'll be at the fireroad trail head at around 5:45 AM

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I was gonna go out and do DC tomorrow morning, but maybe I'll join ya ... if I can get going early enough. Javelina is fun that direction. Haven't been on it in a while though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode that loop yesterday. Good ride. There are 2-3 spots you'll probably have to walk up. From mormon -> top of javelina I can't seem to make it up more than about 1/3 -> 1/2 way. Once you hit the bottom of javelina there is another tricky uphill before the parking lot. Then getting up to the east/west loop, there is another difficult climb.

The only downhill portion i get stuck with is the switch back from mormon -> javelina. There are some stone 6" blocks in the middle of the switchback. I've only cleaned that part once.

I might be around there ~6am. Depends if i can get ghetto tubeless working tonight. I'll be on an orange nomad.

"No Clue Crew"
    Rode this trail a few days ago and had a blast. Hope the ride was fun.........Drew

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    I rode that loop yesterday. Good ride. There are 2-3 spots you'll probably have to walk up. From mormon -> top of javelina I can't seem to make it up more than about 1/3 -> 1/2 way. Once you hit the bottom of javelina there is another tricky uphill before the parking lot. Then getting up to the east/west loop, there is another difficult climb.

The only downhill portion i get stuck with is the switch back from mormon -> javelina. There are some stone 6" blocks in the middle of the switchback. I've only cleaned that part once.

I might be around there ~6am. Depends if i can get ghetto tubeless working tonight. I'll be on an orange nomad.
    Spot-on write-up. When I describe the ride to friends that are interested in it, the features you mention are exactly what I tell them to look forward to. To the original poster, the tough uphills are a nice test for your abilities. I still go back to this loop every month or so to see my progression. Have a good one.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by eringel
    Spot-on write-up. When I describe the ride to friends that are interested in it, the features you mention are exactly what I tell them to look forward to. To the original poster, the tough uphills are a nice test for your abilities. I still go back to this loop every month or so to see my progression. Have a good one.
    I'd have to agree with that. Even if I just make it a extra tire length I feel like I'm making progress in my riding..........Drew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Still working out the details on ghetto tubeless, so i won't be there tomorrow. Next week i'll be out there fore sure though. Post up if you end up riding there again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    the only part to be carefull about is there is a perfect front-wheel catcher of a drop following a fairly blind right hand turn. It is nothing that is not rideable but it is good to be aware of so it doesn't sneeek up and scare ya. javalina is a great little singletrack downhill..... some fun steps to catch a little air on at the top and some climbing at the end.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Rode this trail a few days ago and had a blast. Hope the ride was fun.........Drew
    So, I initially missed the turnoff for Javelina (the darn sign is at the top of the climb to Javelina) and went another half mile up mormon until I ran into some bikers that told me I had missed it.

Ended up hike abiking all the uphills you guys were talking about after losing traction or hitting rocks at some point.

Some of the rocks in the trail were tricky I took it slow and even dismounted a couple times. Definitely will try this one again when I get a little bit better. I liked the fact there were absolutely no hikers on Javelina that was nice.

Those switchbacks from mormon / javelina are great practice for some downhill switchbacks, too difficult for me at this point though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Those switchbacks are tough. If you keep at it, you'll clean them, but there is no shame in walking them. They are daunting (as any switchback can be) because they are technical, with small drops mid-turn, but once you get the technique down, they are a nice catalyst for the rest of that loop. I think it's bikeskills.com that has a video of Joe Lawwill showing how to ride a switchback. It's worth a look. All this talk about the trail makes me want to ride it. I hope to see you guys out there this summer and fall.

mtbr member
    I have a couple newbie riding friends that I take around that same loop just about every saturday early AM. We switch it up which direction we go and usually start at the 46th St lot. It's a great ride for working on just about every aspect of riding. If anybody wants to join us tomorrow (or any other weekend) PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Is there a way back to Pima lot that avoids some of the big hills on the east loop?

mtbr member
    Not that I know of other than hitting the road... well there is one way around that sketchy hill in the middle but it follows the power lines and would dump you out a ways up the fire road I think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I have a couple newbie riding friends that I take around that same loop just about every saturday early AM. We switch it up which direction we go and usually start at the 46th St lot. It's a great ride for working on just about every aspect of riding. If anybody wants to join us tomorrow (or any other weekend) PM me

I'd love to give this a try sometime soon again, but think I am gonna spend another week or two cleaning my skills on some Hawes / DC stuff first. Keep me posted about your Javelina runs though, I live about 2.5 miles from the 46th st TH.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    Not that I know of other than hitting the road... well there is one way around that sketchy hill in the middle but it follows the power lines and would dump you out a ways up the fire road I think.
    You can follow the power lines, however I still had to hike up a bit that way too. haha!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I just got back a few minutes ago from riding this loop and I was surprised to see a couple other riders in the parking lot. It's dang hot out there right now, but it was the perfect distance/exertion for this time of day. Maybe one of the these days I'll make it out early enough to avoid the heat.

mtbr member
    Cool, I live at 48th and Vineyard, we usually just meet at my house and ride the mile over to 46th St parking lot. I think we should be out there just about every weekend in September except the last weekend, so whenever you want to go just PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    I'd love to give this a try sometime soon again, but think I am gonna spend another week or two cleaning my skills on some Hawes / DC stuff first. Keep me posted about your Javelina runs though, I live about 2.5 miles from the 46th st TH.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eringel
    I just got back a few minutes ago from riding this loop and I was surprised to see a couple other riders in the parking lot. It's dang hot out there right now, but it was the perfect distance/exertion for this time of day. Maybe one of the these days I'll make it out early enough to avoid the heat.
    Ditto...I rode up Javelina last Sunday at 1pm, thinking that 103 was cool enough. Got a quick reminder of why I started riding at night or 4am back in June!