mtbr member

Gold Canyon Trail (signs) Sabotage?

Went out for a quick loop at Gold Canyon since this weekend seems like it will be a total bust for riding and noticed that several of the trail signs that have been up for years were missing - pulled right from the ground with no sign of the post or sign, just a rock cairn where they once stood.

Locations:

#1: Intersection of the trail that goes between Cloudview and the road that leads to the trails from the Apacheland access.

#2: Intersection of that same trail and Cougar.

#3: Intersection of Cougar and 2GM (which we promptly missed at night with no sign).

Other signs further along the trails seemed to all be in place.

Do the Gold Canyon folks know if this is intentional or is someone sabotaging the signage?

mtbr member
    I doubt that signage was put up with the approval of the state land managers.... so it could be the state trust land managers doing that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the heads up; will check it out.
    Signs were not removed by GC riding group on those Social Trails.
    But, I've noticed that with Trailforks and Project, signs are less important now; and they sure are alot of work to make and maintain.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    But, I've noticed that with Trailforks and Project, signs are less important now; and they sure are alot of work to make and maintain.
    Cheers.
    TS
    It seems like some mountain bikers are bummed that a a few passionate fellow mountain bikers went out and built a really cool trail system in Gold Canyon and then they SIGNED the trail intersections to give the non-Trailforks crowd a chance to ride the multitude of fun trails.

People like Gila Monster, Kevin and TS deserve a lot of credit for their efforts to make GC a fun place to ride. It's kind of a mutual admiration society that have a common feeling of No Remorse.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Could be people in side by sides or other 4x4 vehicles snatching signs if they are on or near any of the jeep roads.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    Cheers.
    TS
    I've been riding out there since long before TrailForks or any of the other apps and loved having the signs at the trail intersections when I was learning my way around. With how frequently new trails go in out there having good signage still helps me find my way around if I have not been out there in a few months.

If you need a hand installing new signage that would be more tamper resistant I would be happy to help out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    There has been wholesale removal of the GC signs in the SW quadrant; Cougar, 2GM, Holy Hill Bypass etc.
    Unknown culprits; but all areas above had a dirtbike track present; in last 2 days.

While it is disappointing, as this is only the second time a sign has been removed (and the first one was TECH LOOP, which I promptly replaced); however likely the signs will not be replaced now; just too much work.
    So, the GC Social Trails that had the best signage in the Valley and that are used by hikers, runners, horses, and bikers, will be unsigned. But the trails remail; SO

Get the Trailforks app; it is accurate, and it gives the preferred direction of riding also; a big plus over signage----though our signs had 'exit' and 'entry' as needed.

cheers
    TS

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    TS nice report. Have I ever told you that I appreciate all the great work you have done out there. You might consider some reinforcement signage mounted on appropriate vegetation with a piece of wire shortly after the intersection.

This would give users a heads up that they are in fact on the trail they think they wanted.

mtbr member
    Love these trails, signs were great but luckily I know the trails by heart thank you for all involved out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    2PM today; found all of the East End trail signs in tact; whew!

Keep vigilant for jerk; may be on m'cycle. Motive unknown.

cheers TS