Gold Canyon Ride--New "eastside" singletrack. Best route for 12-18 mile ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Gold Canyon Ride--New "eastside" singletrack. Best route for 12-18 mile ride?

I'm an intermediate AM rider and I usually do GC from Apache Lands parking area. What's my best route to try the new stuff on the eastside(Easiest route to transition: Lost Gold Mine v. Old Horse trail)? Then which new trails? Looking for a 12-18 mile ride to explore at first then I'll expand as I get familiar with 'em.
    Thx

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    Easiest with the least amount of road:

Old Horse Trail->K->Secret->Kiki->Old Horse->TD (lower)->Outer Limits->DFMI->Coyote->TD->Lost Goldmine->Transition-> finish on whatever trails you have the energy for.

That'll give you a taste of all those trails without any overlap. Note that Transition is best as a downhill trail (N to S) and TD is best as a climb.

mtbr member
    I haven't checked, but are these up on MTBProject yet? I need to stop in again, its been too long. Maybe next time work takes me to Safford-should be soon actually!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thx for quick reply! Was gonna try to hit it tomorrow am before it heats up

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    I find MTBProject a bit cumbersome and slow to add content. Check out TrailForks for the most recent updates.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just rode DFMI, TD & Transition today. Those trails could definitely use more traffic. Also, noticed LOTS of work on Lost Goldmine. I like it, but others may not. It's all much easier out to DFMI (as far as I rode). Thanks for all the effort!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just got back. Sampled Eastside: Transition, TD, Coyote, and DFMI with SS buddy. Nice linear departure from curvey Westside and therefore a real nice N/S triple combo. Look forward to trying the others next time. Gold mine has gotten better since rode it 2011 (aka torcher ride) to Peralta and back...less rock gardens and baby heads..thx SALT (or whomever). Will be back next week. Also, shout out to AJ/Michigander Dennis a 63-yr old mtbr tearing it up with the middle-agers. He's a great inspiration!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    Easiest with the least amount of road:

Old Horse Trail->K->Secret->Kiki->Old Horse->TD (lower)->Outer Limits->DFMI->Coyote->TD->Lost Goldmine->Transition-> finish on whatever trails you have the energy for.

That'll give you a taste of all those trails without any overlap. Note that Transition is best as a downhill trail (N to S) and TD is best as a climb.
    Did a modified version of this route today starting with Gila Monster to Diamondback to K-Trail. Really like the new trails. Tons of good riding out there with minimal hiker traffic!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    I find MTBProject a bit cumbersome and slow to add content. Check out TrailForks for the most recent updates.
    Am I the only one that finds that Trailforks rates some trails as Black diamond when they are more intermediate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the comments about GC; we like to see smiles on riders' faces!
    Yes, SALT has commissioned and supervised the modifications to their trail; LGM. They have made it a more enjoyable user experience for hikers/runners/ bikers and even equestrians.
    Most will now find that riding LGM from Cloudview TH will be a good ride; yes, still a few dabs and maybe a HAB or 3; but far mor enjoyable than last year; thanks SALT! But, East of DFMI/the gate, expect lots of chunk and chunder and more effort...as the SALT crew have not finished with that section, yet; next Fall; maybe. Priority is now the Broadway trail.
    cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Bien hecho on SALT...they're super! I saw a few members last week as I was attempting to trail run (cross training) LGM from Broadway trailhead. Got only about 1.5 miles with my pooch just beyond the cattle gate...had to turn back due to a cavalcade of rocks and stream of mini boulders (even my quadped was losing her footing!) and ran into SALT at Jacobs Crossing on backtrack. SALT guy said they were clearing the trail all the way to Cloudview. I commented to him about their excellent efforts there and Silly Mtn and at Meridian trailhead. But holy crap...clearing that LGM east seems like it would take a backhoe...if when they complete it, should add some significant miles to access Goldmine and provide easy access from AJ...but that's a super small parking area...yipes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Am I the only one that finds that Trailforks rates some trails as Black diamond when they are more intermediate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yea I have noticed that.. The tech loop out at Mcdowell mountain is rated black diamond. I like small drops and stuff but wouldn't consider myself aggressive at all and the Tech Loop only had one downhill that I wussed out on ( the second drop at the very beginning before making the climb). Everything else was very doable for me .. The first climb was a good challenge as well.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Re: Trailforks, don't forget that site is user populated. Obviously, the trail rating isn't always cut & dry. In my opinion, I think a trail should be rated for the most difficult section, not simply one tough feature. If you look at a trails info page on Trailforks, there's a place to add a trail description. Anyone can add a description or note re: the trail. So, if you think the trail may be rated incorrectly, you could: a) edit the trail and change the rating b) add a comment pointing out notable trail obstacles not consistent with the overall rating.

It takes a little effort, but Trailforks is a fantastic reference in the sea of online trail beta. Also, a nice way to add photos is from the specific trail page, 'add/edit -> add photo'. This will link the photo to that particular trail, so when the trail page opens you'll only see photos from that trail.

TC-FlowClyde: Do you know what SALT is planning at the Meridian TH? Are they connecting the E-W trail over to the Goldfields by chance? Last time I checked, about a year ago, that trail was a dead end after a mile or so.

Sure would be nice if Silly Mtn. had access from the north side off of 34th Ave.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 50cents View Post
    If someone doesn't agree with a rating just add a comment in Trailforks and people can get a different opinion. I personally like a rating that breaks the trail rating into percentages. For example I would give LGM (west to east) a 3% expert, 15% advanced, 67% intermediate and 15% beginner. I am curious what others who have ridden LGM recently think should be a better rating of the trail?
    I hadn't realized that was the case w the ratings. That is a pretty handy rating system. I was also kind of thinking that in the case of tech loop to maybe rate it overall blue but either color coordinate a couple of the sections to black or put a black diamond at the spot on the trail map. I love trailmaps as a mtb site don't get me wrong being able to add notes etc. to the trails info is really handy. I just found out about the site not too long ago and don't know all of its features. There's definitely a fine line w rating trails. Too generous and it might discourage riders from riding a trail they have the skill for and too little it could make a ride somewhat unenjoyable if it's a bit above the skill range.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Euark View Post
    I hadn't realized that was the case w the ratings. That is a pretty handy rating system. I was also kind of thinking that in the case of tech loop to maybe rate it overall blue but either color coordinate a couple of the sections to black or put a black diamond at the spot on the trail map. I love trailmaps as a mtb site don't get me wrong being able to add notes etc. to the trails info is really handy. I just found out about the site not too long ago and don't know all of its features. There's definitely a fine line w rating trails. Too generous and it might discourage riders from riding a trail they have the skill for and too little it could make a ride somewhat unenjoyable if it's a bit above the skill range.
    50cents rating system could be added in the comment field for a trail, like the Tech Loop for example. The other thing someone could do is add a POI to the trail. For example, on National trail a POI has been added for the Waterfall feature. Plus, National is broken up into a few segments, while each segment is rated as advanced (black) on the map, it could have a segment rated differently.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Freeskier46...on Meridian unmarked trails and SALT. Don't know the plans of the 2.3 mile (according to my cycle computer) "Foothills spur". Was curious myself so I got on SALT website just now which says they have a charter to work Tonto NF...but nothing specifically mentioned on that area. I've trail run that section weekly for past few years and last summer orange/yellow ribbons appeared at the end of the trail and could possibly be markers. If so...that would be a sweet intermediate section and killer view of far east valley desertscape. I would definitely be willing to help with trail work if/when it's official (disclaimer:if it works with my schedule).

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by TC-FlowClyde View Post
    Freeskier46...on Meridian unmarked trails and SALT. Don't know the plans of the 2.3 mile (according to my cycle computer) "Foothills spur". Was curious myself so I got on SALT website just now which says they have a charter to work Tonto NF...but nothing specifically mentioned on that area. I've trail run that section weekly for past few years and last summer orange/yellow ribbons appeared at the end of the trail and could possibly be markers. If so...that would be a sweet intermediate section and killer view of far east valley desertscape. I would definitely be willing to help with trail work if/when it's official (disclaimer:if it works with my schedule).
    That is great to hear. It would provide a nice trail link into the Goldfields. I wonder if the SALT charter with Tonto also includes working on the far southern end of the Jacob Crosscut trail. That last 1/2 mile into the junction of West Lost Goldmine is an absolute mess. It's hardly a clearing, more less a trail. The AZTR750 is begging for a singletrack alternative for the Apache Junction portion of the route, this would provide the way.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    True that on Goldfields linkup...would be nice. That area is really unique geo features but very raw trail development when I rode a couple of years ago. Maybe that will be a future focus and begs the rhetorical question: Can there every be enough rideable singletrack?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here is the reply from the SALT Trail Boss concerning trail objectives:

"As to the Jacob's Cross Cut question, my plan at this time is to clean up the section from the Broadway TH to the junction with the LGM next year. Any work on the Cross Cut north from the junction will be at the bottom of the list. We will dress up any monsoon damage on the entire LGM, and Silly Mtn. also hopefully rebuild the Hieroglyphic next season if I can get the re-routes approved by the USFS."

Anyone wishing to join the Trail Crew (we usually 'work' Wed. AM; Oct thru March) can go online to the SALT site and complete the volunteer form; and specify TRAIL CREW. Training, supervision, and tools are provided; and fun!

The LGM trail from Cloudview to Peralta is the main trail built and managed by SALT. Several (non SALT) other trails in the beautiful Sonoran Desert which connect to LGM , and which have been built by several local bikers and hikers, add to the user experience for all trail users. A good map can be secured per the posts above. Ride on!
    TS

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sweet ride sunset yesterday and scary due to thunder/lightening directly overhead. Awesome full rainbow over "Peralta bluffs"...bummer. Wanted to take cell pic to post but too worried to stop for fear a taking a lightening strike especially on hilltops. Did a quick 12 miler on the lower trails: Old horse trail»K»Secret»Kiki»Outer Limits»DFMI»Coyote»TD»Snowbird(wow!)»Secret»K»Holy Hill.
    Such a scenic and a little eerie area...trails really are well done with rolling hills with some tech...thx trail builders! Going back next week to due my favorite spur Quartz Ridge and DB loop somehow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Last post on this thread. For what it's worth Fun and easier, all XC-singletrack route: Old Horse»K»Secret»Kiki»Lower TD»Outer Limits »DFMI»LGM»Saguaro Squeeze»Diamond Back»GM»Apache Land Parking lot = 13.5 mi.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 50cents View Post
    TC that sounds like a nice XC loop. I really really enjoy riding K without the ride up LGM by taking Apache land parking to Old Horse to K to Mohave to DB to Sagaro Squeeze to LGM to K to Old Horse and back to the car.
    Yes 50c...sounds like a good way to avoid LGM rough stuff (better than the past Thx SALT) with much greater flow to get to the east side.