Closekids.com

Gold Canyon latest place to park

Hey all. Was thinking of hitting Gold Canyon in the am for the first time and seen a ton of threads on where not to park.

Can you park at the corner of East Baseline Rd and South King's Ranch Rd? Trailforks is saying it is a parking lot....thank you.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Cloudview trailhead is where most people park. K Trail is probably the recommended section to hit. To get there, Lost Goldmine is technically challenging in places, but the most direct. Easier but longer to K is Gila Monster/Diamondback. If you can, include Phantom. Watch for rattlesnakes.

mtbr member
    I always park at Cloudview as well. I like taking Cougar to Gold Mine to K trail.

We have a group meeting at 6am at the parking lot tomorrow morning if you want to join.

Just another half mile...
    Yes you can park there, but there is no close legal access to the trails without crossing private lands. The Cloudview parking is the only legal access to the trails from Gold Canyon.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomingSooner View Post
    Hey all. Was thinking of hitting Gold Canyon in the am for the first time and seen a ton of threads on where not to park.

Can you park at the corner of East Baseline Rd and South King's Ranch Rd? Trailforks is saying it is a parking lot....thank you.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    Yes you can park there, but there is no close legal access to the trails without crossing private lands. The Cloudview parking is the only legal access to the trails from Gold Canyon.
    Hey Dale,
    Am I missing something here? There's a gate at the end of South Blackhawk Rd. that allows easy access to the trails from the Baseline Ave. / KRR parking area. It's marked on Trailforks. AFAIK all that land east of S. Blackhawk Rd. is State Trust Land, at least that's how it's depicted on the land ownership overlay on Trailforks.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

Just another half mile...
    According to the Pinal County assessor Parcel viewer, South Blackhawk is a Private Road, ie no public right of way. The road is probably on an easement across private lands to access the adjacent properties. Yes there is a gate there, but access is across private property. The local residents can restrict access to the public anytime. Best to park at the Cloud view Parking lot . Option is to park off of Peralta road and access the trails from any number of points. We have camped several times out there and rode in from camp.

Gold Canyon latest place to park-parcelcapture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    Hey Dale,
    Am I missing something here? There's a gate at the end of South Blackhawk Rd. that allows easy access to the trails from the Baseline Ave. / KRR parking area. It's marked on Trailforks. AFAIK all that land east of S. Blackhawk Rd. is State Trust Land, at least that's how it's depicted on the land ownership overlay on Trailforks.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Thanks Dale. That's pretty crazy. I typically park at Cloudview, but if it's jammed, I'd still use Baseline Ave. That's just me.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks Dale. That's pretty crazy. I typically park at Cloudview, but if it's jammed, I'd still use Baseline Ave. That's just me.
    Whenever riding a private road I like to ask myself what my INTENT is. So far I have been blessed with an enjoyable experience.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    Whenever riding a private road I like to ask myself what my INTENT is. So far I have been blessed with an enjoyable experience.
    Agreed. I've had a similar experience. In this particular case, it's an unsigned dirt road that leads to a gate. If it were signed 'Private Property, No Trespassing', etc. I'd skip it. It's interesting to browse through that parcel map through Apache Junction, quite a few paved roads that fall under the same classification.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Agreed. I've had a similar experience. In this particular case, it's an unsigned dirt road that leads to a gate. If it were signed 'Private Property, No Trespassing', etc. I'd skip it. It's interesting to browse through that parcel map through Apache Junction, quite a few paved roads that fall under the same classification.
    Exactly....at least in CA, "Private Road" doesn't mean the same as "Private Property, Keep Off" and means it's not publicly maintained. People can still legally drive on it.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Just park at Baseline; ride East on it; and carefully lift over the fence; or use the gate on Blackhawk----realizing that it is a privately maintained road, and thank any property-owner you see. The intent of the gate is to allow hikers/cyclists; and preclude motorized vehicles.
    Relationships between hikers/eq's/ cyclists; and neighbors are generally very good at GC; help us keep it that way; don't trespass; don't park on private property etc.
    Cheers.
    TS