Gold Canyon Heads Up- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Gold Canyon Heads Up

If you plan to ride out in Gold Canyon, use the Cloudview access. The gate at the "Apache Land" entrance has been locked.

mtbr member

Gold Canyon Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    If you plan to ride out in Gold Canyon, use the Cloudview access. The gate at the "Apache Land" entrance has been locked.
    Ok Thanks for the heads up! If anyone is going riding anytime soon I want to join.

MEGALOMANIAC
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GilaMonster View Post
    Cloudview is where I went in the one and only (but not for long!) time I rode there.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Any word on the reason why? Is that private property to the west of the gate? State Trust Land to the east. Just curious.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good question. west of the gate is private property, and the homeowners have complained in the past about all the dust the motorized crew kicks up (witness their dozens of donuts and you can see why). A few years afo the landowner placed the boulders along Kings Ranch Road to block the motorized traffic but allow hikers, bikers and horses. The motorized crowd made another way in to Apache Land from across the wash. add to all of this to the fact that somebody didn't close the gate behind them at least twice in the past month and the cows got out, I figure there were enough complaints finally for the ASTL to step in to restrict access. Just my two cents.

Thread Killer
    Hmm, good to know. I thought Apache Land access had been closed since they put the boulders there.
    Cholla cactus=nature's guard rail.

mtbr member
    I say eff the land lease ranchers. I have always closed gates since 1980- but honestly STL is MY land. I would hop the fence and ride it regardless.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    cstem you can still squeeze a bike through,

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    It does take whole extra 5 minutes to get to Cloudview......and we have to mingle with regular folk!

On the plus side, most hikers are going to the Hieroglyphic Trail anyway and won't really be in the way. And the Lost Goldmine Trail is right there....with a nice little "warm-up" hill thrown in....

On a side note, what mouth-breather doesn't have the time or ability to close a gate?

Weakened Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    On the plus side, most hikers are going to the Hieroglyphic Trail anyway and won't really be in the way.
    Boy that's the truth. I was there twice this week, and both times cars were parked in the road because the Cloudview lot was full. Other than the mall crowd on the initial hill up to the Lost Goldmine/Hieroglyphic split, I only saw a couple other people while out on the trails.

The Original Suspect
    Rode there this am and going out the gate was chained but returning...no chain. Yes, we closed it behind us...we aren't "those" guys.

Shore slayer
    Oct 2006
    A couple of weeks ago I was there and the gate was closed, but two cows were on the wrong side. I opened up the gate and easily herded them back in. Agree that it's both simple and obvious that you should be closing the gate, but some people just suck.

There was also a rogue ATV that ripped up the Parking Lot trail just south of the Cougar trailhead. I suspect it was the same knob that exited to the road at Apache Land by driving over what's left of the fence beside the boulders. This could be have been the last straw for whoever put up the lock.

The Original Suspect
    Where is the shit you learned in kindergarten? Your place in line, close the FN door behind you, flip up the girl's skirt in front of you at the drinking fountain, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Snowbirds with side x sides, and bolt cutters today by the sound of it. The rancher will sure be pissed. And there are plenty of out-of-state mouth breathers who don't know how to close a gate behind them. Ran into a herd of them a few weeks back mtb'ing to Queen Valley from Gold Canyon. Amazes me. It's like these folks get here and pretend it's the Wild West and they don't need to stick to no stinkin' rules, by god, Murica.

Dave
    Sorry to hear the disturbances at GC, my favorite place to ride! Have never found the gate open. Cows where they belong, on this inside everything in order all the time bothers me to hear this crap. I guess I'll just park at cloud lot. You guys have put so much great work together out there!
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    We were out on Sunday morning about 10am. Many cars at the Kings Ranch Rd.(Apacheland?) spot.

Everything seemed as it was a month ago. Rode in past the boulders, STL gate was closed although it's looking like it might need a chain and pin/carabiner as the wood post is getting pretty worn.

Some VERY long horns just inside the gate along the doubletrack.