Addicted to 2 wheels

Gold Canyon Beerduro, Saturday, April 15th @ 8am @ Staging TBD

Skipping the long Hawes Beerduro to focus on Gold Canyon. The place has added some really cool techy trails in the last few years. Would not be advisable to do HooDoo at night, so I wanted to run the place in the day. It also has not been held there for 4 years.

Due to course plan, this will be light on beer and heavy on enduro.

Show up ready to pedal at 8:00 at the Gold Canyon Community Church parking lot. We will then proceed to the course. Key trails to be included in test sections are: Cougar, HooDoo, Jodie's+K, Phantom, and Quartz Ridge. Mulligan at Scorpion Rock, and maybe more.

Will work to keep tests as DH oriented as possible, but GC will make you pedal. Not sure of exact mileage or elevation yet. I want to say 12 miles and 1500 feet, but could be off a bit. Expect 4 or so hours. There will be a chug section.

Might also be making this a Birthday Beerduro if Drew can make it. I got more stickers and shirts too.

More details to come.

What is Beerduro?

Beerduro is about fun group mountain bike rides with a little grass roots racing and beer drinking, if you want. Beer is never a requirement.

A member of the community will host an event in their local area. There will be 3-9 timed segments that are usually downhill in nature, but they do not have to be. Mulligahns are encouraged to add to the fun and even the playing field (30 seconds time benefit for things like (picked up trash, trail stoke, costume, oldest bike, ...). A timed beer chug is usually part of the format and your time is multiplied by 10. Cumulative scores is added up at the end and we all win.

Some type of creative, often tacky award is given to the top time. There are no real rules or leadership in this group. Just some rough guidelines. Events are always no charge,but folks sometimes donate.

Goals are: Good times, bring the community together, fun low stress time trials, checking out new riding areas, and good times.

Will be celebrating Drew Herbert's Bday.
    3 Games on Foot Down for a 30 second mulligan.

Already have around 20 folks rsvp'd, including some of the locals like Kevin.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 04-06-2018 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    May be able to make it!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    cool, you can finally count me in on this one. looking forward to riding and drinking with ya.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    BAH; I'm headed back to BC on 11th---but wish you all a great day in GC!
    We are always lookin for folks to help with building and maintaining GC, so pm me if you'd like to help sometime.
    Cheers. TS

Addicted to 2 wheels
    This is now on Sunday the 15th. Staging location will change sue to church on Sunday. Stay tuned. This will be a demanding course with high levels of tech and pedaling.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    This is now on Sunday the 15th. Staging location will change sue to church on Sunday. Stay tuned. This will be a demanding course with high levels of tech and pedaling.
    Go figure, one time in a while someone wants to do a Saturday it's changed. I can't make Sundays so I am out. maybe next one.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Dang it. I wanted Saturday too, but family stuff forced the change.

mtbr member
    Sunday Church parking lot? Not sure that is going to work.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Yep. I figured. Might do the park by there, or go for the staging area on the left side a mile or so up. Definitely will be respectful of the church.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Gold Canyon Beerduro - Course finalized update. New Stage location.

Date is SUNDAY the 15th, READY TO PEDAL @ 8am, show 7:45 or earlier. Staging is now at Kings Ranch Road and Baseline. 4055-3901 S Kings Ranch Rd, Gold Canyon, AZ 85118
    33.378550, -111.433684

Did a pre-ride with some friends. A few points.
    1. Hoo Doo is a gnarly trail that can hurt you. There is at least one section you may want to walk in the test. Will also give a 30 second Mulligan for whoever can clean the transfer.
    2. Gold Canyon makes you earn your miles. Some of the test are pedally. This is not a point downhill and coast kind of a course.
    3. Tech loop has around 15 or so obstacles on it. We will ride it and you get a 5 second mulligan for each you do without a dab. Honor system with 15 max. No second attempts, except for one or two that we stop at as a group.
    4. We call it Beerduro, but I will not be cracking a beer until near the last part of the course. Why? No way with Hoo Doo, Scorpion Rock, and questionable on Tech Loop.
    5. Bring your water and food. It is foretasted for mid 80s high, but could be warmer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Very cool! Is it too much to reveal which order you're riding these sections in? I ask just due to time constraints.

Which DH line on hoo Doo? The upper one with the chute, or the lower one?

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Not marking the course, so happy to share the route and a track. https://www.strava.com/activities/1494807389

Couger to Too Doo. Transfer all the way up to the DH split on Hoo Doo. We are doing the original line to the left and finish in the wash. Transfer to K and finish at the road. Short transfer to some point within Phantom, no Where you Frome and finish at the junction. Tech Loop session for 5 second benefit per feature. Then based on time a possible test after that to get to the Quartz Ridge left turn. Transfer to Quartz Ridge high point and come all the way back down West, to the road. Will throw in a foot down competition at start, middle and finish.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Gold Canyon Beerduro turned out even better than I expected. All 31 in attendance had a great attitude. Was stoked to hear all the folks that expanded their skills on the tech loop! Hoo Doo was scary and fun for all. The whole event ran so smooth too. Thank you Kirk for running point on finish, Arturo G Codina for owning data input, Taylor White for capturing so many great pics, everyone else that helped assist too.

We had some crashes, but no serious injuries. Maybe two flats, but they did not slow the group down. Scorpion Rock was a lot of fun. Crazy to see Chad Hummer crash on the big line, and happy he only had a few scrapes. Fun times with the chug and general hang out with everyone after the ride.

Results are in the comment section, sorted by segment. Also a few pics. Sorry they are of me, but those are the ones's I downloaded from Taylor. Here are all the pics: https://s1376.photobucket.com//Gold...0Beerduro%202

Top honors go to Nick Fouts, followed by Brian Collet in 3rd and Igor in 4th. We had 4 SS show up so we awarded them too. Cory Stem takes top honors, even while puking all day, followed by Dennis Webb in 3rd and Arturo G Codina in 4th. Christina Casanova overall-ed the women's class.

Who is putting on the next Beerduro? Payson? Papago, San Tan, Sedona, PMP, Somo, ... We need folks to host more of these. I will help you make it a blast.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post

Results are in the comment section, sorted by segment. Also a few pics. Sorry they are of me, but those are the ones's I downloaded from Taylor. Here are all the pics: https://s1376.photobucket.com//Gold...0Beerduro%202
    Linky no worky
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

Addicted to 2 wheels