Gold Canyon: Apacheland parking becoming an issue- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Gold Canyon: Apacheland parking becoming an issue

Just a heads up, but it appears the land owners at the Apacheland entrance to the Gold Canyon trails would prefer people to not park there. It isn't a trailhead, just a gravel shoulder on the side of Kings Ranch rd. The dirt access road goes across private property. Sounds like there has been quite an increase in traffic, especially on weekends. There were some fence builders out there today putting up more deterrents leading into the State Trust Land gate. It appears their focus is mostly on the OHV crowd, due to noise/dust. It does seem like bike access is still cool.

However, if you're driving out there to ride, just go about a mile farther and park at the Cloudview trailhead.
    Yes, that trailhead gets a lot of hiker traffic, but 99% of those folks are there to hike the Hieroglyphics trail which goes into Wilderness barely a mile from the parking lot. To avoid the hikers on the initial hill out of the parking lot, if this is an issue, take the trail that hugs the parking lot around to the south. It'll get you back to where the Apacheland entrance brought you in real quick.

Another option is to drive around to Peralta rd and either park at the Elementary school (on weekends) or continue up the road to the east end of the Lost Goldmine trail and use that trailhead. It's usually wide open. There are also plenty of pullouts to use along Peralta rd. with a few dirt roads to access the east end of the trail system such as 'Don't Fence Me In' & 'Outer Limits'.

I removed the 'P' icon for Apacheland on Trailforks, so people who don't normally ride out there think it's ok to park there.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    I wonder if the removal of trail signage a few weeks ago has anything to do with this..

Thanks for posting up John!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks SB2 and John:
    I will relate your suggestion to Kent Taylor of Pinal county.
    John; the guys building the fence this AM told me that they 'might' leave a small opening for hikers/bikers; but as it is private land, your removal of the 'P' is appropriate.

Another Parking option is to go out the Peralta Road, off #60 about 2 miles S of Gold Canyon; go on the Peralta road (gravel/dirt) about 5.5 miles to the Carney Springs P lot. From there bike North up the wide, former jeep road, and go LEFT onto the lost Gold Mine trail; heading WEST. In about 1.5 miles you'll come to DFMI, then 1/2 mile to TD, and 1/4 mile to TRANSITION. See Trailforks for their great map that John manages....thanks again John.

Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    Many of the people parking at Apacheland last week thought they were parking at the Cloudview lot. They'd hike a bit then head back to the lot asking about where the Heiroglyphic Trail is.
    AKA: G-wat

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post
    Many of the people parking at Apacheland last week thought they were parking at the Cloudview lot. They'd hike a bit then head back to the lot asking about where the Heiroglyphic Trail is.
    I noticed this as well a few weeks ago. There was a group of about 8 hikers, it appeared to be an organized hike, yet the 'leaders' had no clue where Cloudview was, they didn't have much water or lights and it was about 20 minutes before sunset. It really blows me away how unprepared some people are.

A couple of my Gold Canyon friends were over in the area to check it out. There is a gap in the new barriers for hiker/biker access. I'll just leave it as this, if you're taking the time to drive out there, just go the extra 1 mile or so to Cloudview. If it's a super nice weekend, Peralta is probably a much better option. I'll really only use the Apacheland entrance/exit when doing thru-rides of the area.

Having a south exit out of the Cloudview parking lot would be great. The trail is literally on the opposite side of the fence. One of those arced cattle guards would be perfect there.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I've relayed all this, and your good ideas to Pinal County Parks and Open Space, and hope for a positive reply. I have offered to install a new South gate; so may need some assistance, if that's OK'd.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    pooopp, I like this trailhead and usually I have it to myself or another car, but last two rides it was full. Bummer but oh well, it is on a dangerous curve, other than that why are homeowners so lame......

mtbr member
    Yeah, let us know Darch! I would like to help.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Ok, no big deal. ive never had an issue with using the provided gate. Just herd yourself through like the rest of the sheep!
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    pooopp, I like this trailhead and usually I have it to myself or another car, but last two rides it was full. Bummer but oh well, it is on a dangerous curve, other than that why are homeowners so lame......
    Yep agreed. Cloudview might be close, but its kind of a pain when this spot is just right there!
    16 Stumpy Elite 650B

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thank the ATVs. Talk to the guy today building the fence. The area is shut down due to ATVs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gold Canyon: Apacheland parking becoming an issue-img_3279.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Is that really private property or did they just put that sign there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix311 View Post
    Is that really private property or did they just put that sign there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Does it matter? Just drive a mile down the road and park in the designated parking lot, show some courtesy/respect for the home owners in the area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Does it matter? Just drive a mile down the road and park in the designated parking lot, show some courtesy/respect for the home owners in the area.
    I've always Parked at cloudvue and started there but my last ride out there I started at that dirt lot and loved thag entrance mainly because when I finish my ride route it's a quick zip back to the car instead of having to take the boring parking lot trail back to the car.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Apacheland IS private property; we've enjoyed access for a long time, but ATV's have despoiled the land, and caused noise complaints.
    So use Cloudview; or drive out Peralta Road and try Carney springs parking lot. There are few riders out the East end, and LGM is riding well now; thanks to the work SALT has done lately. Try that access; go to Trailforks for all the 'social trails'.
    cheers
    TS

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Transition, Side question. Is there dispersed camping allowed at the end of Peralta?

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Yes; but on the Land Trust you need a rec pass; ie $20 per yr.
    Go to their site; you can now get it online and print it.
    Cheers.
    TS

mtbr member
    FYI, sheriff was out yesterday with 5 tow trucks towing cars parked in no-parking zones along the road and bet they will probably be cracking down here for a while.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Was the towing on Cloudview Rd; West of the Cloudview parking lot?
    Lets not confuse this with Peralta, which was the subject of the question.
    TS

mtbr member
    Parking was ridiculous today. The Clearview Lot was so full, I barely was able to get out of my parking spot.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I got me a STL (state trust land) permit. It's good to have for sure and cheap and it's a 1yr pass.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade2 View Post
    I have never seen No Parking signs at Apacheland. Are there No Parking signs posted there now?

I am curious what the normal intent is of mountain bikers who poach the access from the parking area to the closed gate?

Is one considered a bad person if they don't heed the private property sign? Is the property owner just communicating to trespassers "don't try and sue me if you get injured on my private property?"
    Yes, there are now 'No Trespassing' signs posted along that freshly strung barbed wire fence.

Considered a bad person? No, probably not, just a trespasser. Sounds like you have questions only the property owner can answer.

This really isn't a big deal, park somewhere else. Be prepared for Cloudview TH to be a complete cluster during prime time on nice days. Pro-tip: park someplace else during those times. We all like to ride, right? So what's an extra mile or three? Let's not turn this into some Honeybee access drama.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Good advice John. Apacheland was great while it lasted; too bad the access is now denied because of some quads.....
    Again; try the Carney springs parking lot about 5 miles East on the Peralta Road; great access to the East end 'informal trails' via LGM; see Trailforks.
    Cheers
    TS

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    UPDATE:
    I parked on the ROAD Allowance at Apacheland; then rode North to Baseline; went East to the TRUST barbed fence and entered; there are NO PARKING signs along Baseline.
    When I returned to the Jeep, I found a typed message;
    "FIRST WARNING; You are trespassing on private property; Your vehicle will be towed next time, and the Sherriff will be notified"
    So some neighbor is making these little missives and hand cutting them; and being a nuisance----I was parked on the ROAD allowance! Likely the same clown who removed our signs on the West End.

I'm going to talk to the Sherriff about someone being able to have you towed from a road allowance; but my advice; STAY AWAY FROM AL; and use Cloudview or Carney, or the Peralta Trailhead---6 miles East on the Peralta road, off 60. What a crock!
    TS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Senior View Post
    UPDATE:
    I parked on the ROAD Allowance at Apacheland;
    What do you mean by 'road allowance', the shoulder?

DFL>DNF>DNS
    There 'may be' an open dirt lot on the SW corner of Kings Ranch Rd. & Baseline Ave. If you ride east on Baseline you'll come to a barbed wire fence at the State Trust boundary, turn left & ride up Blackhawk Rd to the end. There 'may be' a gate for easy access to the trails there...

I'd still use Cloudview TH as your 1st option, but if it's full it's nice to have a nearby fallback.
    My Two Schillingsworth