Goat Camp Trail- Mtbr.com

Thread: Goat Camp Trail

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Goat Camp Trail

I just moved to Surprise, AZ and I have been reading bout Goat Camp Trail. If any local riders are familiar with the trail and will be out there riding in the coming weekends, please post up and let me know.

Or any other trail systems in the Surprise area.

Im looking for techy chunky downhill spots in the area.

Thanks

Rob

mtbr member
    I ride at White Tanks often, but mainly the comp loop . Rode goat camp for the first time a few weeks ago and i didnt like. There are a few others on here that ride goat camp and are more familiar with it. There are some good trails down on Estrella Mtn also that you can check out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't go near there, you'll die!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Its chunky and fun, rode it a couple years back on the Stumpjumper, definitely a tough trail, would have been nice to have had a beefier bike. Here's a vid of me and the Stumpy on some Goat Camp. Apologize about the grainy picture quality, this video was from a while back. Note my insanely long stem and 700mm bars! Things have come a long way in two years!

Just another half mile...
    Do a search here on the AZ forum. Lots of good info. It's the chunkiest 3 mile DH on the Phx area.

Don't believe the Hype...
    I'm planning on it in the next few weeks...I have done the Mesquite up and back a few times. I was on a rigid SS, so I never rode down the Goat...
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    If you like chunky, techy, downhill trails you will love Goat Camp. One of my favorite trails in the Phoenix area.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Maui Grown
    Goat Camp definitely fits the bill of techy chunky downhill...but's it's a long climb to get to the top. I might ride there this Saturday or on Veteran's Day next Tuesday. Post-up if you are interested.

Always in the wrong gear
    Based on Google Earth, it looks like Goat Camp 'begins' where Ford Canyon and Mesquite Trails meet. is that right? I'm planning on trying this over the winter, but am not fit enough to easily overcome a "whoops, this last 4 miles was on the wrong trail".
    Gotta get my ducks in a row before I do something dumb.

Where to park? If I'm seeing the trails right, the TH's of Mesquite and GC are quite a ways apart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Based on Google Earth, it looks like Goat Camp 'begins' where Ford Canyon and Mesquite Trails meet. is that right? I'm planning on trying this over the winter, but am not fit enough to easily overcome a "whoops, this last 4 miles was on the wrong trail".
    Gotta get my ducks in a row before I do something dumb.

Where to park? If I'm seeing the trails right, the TH's of Mesquite and GC are quite a ways apart.
    Yes that is where it begins, climb up Mesquite and stay straight for Goat Camp. I would park at the Mesquite trailhead, the one that has a ramada and where it intersects with Waddell Trail.
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

Always in the wrong gear
    Cool. thanks a bunch!
    I'm estimating about 12 miles on Mesquite+goat camp, then a few more miles of pavement and/or trail back to the truck?
    That sound about right?

mtbr member
    Cool. thanks a bunch!
    I'm estimating about 12 miles on Mesquite+goat camp, then a few more miles of pavement and/or trail back to the truck?
    That sound about right?
    As I recall it's a 17 mile ride with 3000' of climbing. The climb is about 9 miles to the towers.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Is the climb really that long (3000ft)? I guess Goatcamp downhill makes me blackout the climb.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Always in the wrong gear
    wow. glad I asked. That's a fair bit further than I expected. I thought I did a pretty decent job tracing the trail using Google Earth's 'Path' tool. Apparently not

I traced it and got like 10.5 mi, rounded up to 12 just to be sure.

I'll make sure anda bring some sammies and a 'non-camelbak' drink, take a break somewhere if I try this.

Pivoteer
    Its about a 12 mile loop. We park at Black Canyon lot (first left past the gate), spin the road over to Mesquite, up Mesquite to GC. The descent is 3.5 miles, with the first 2.5 miles being the toughest. The last mile is on the flat spinning back, but can still be challenging since you will likely be toast by the bottom.

If you have not done the GC descent before, I highly recommend you take a look at it first. The initial drop in is just the beginning. If you don't like that kind of riding, you have a long 3.5 miles ahead of you. If you go alone, please be careful, pretty easy to hurt yourself out there.

This is Jackhammer, once you get here you are almost done with the first 2.5 mile segment. This is one of the easier moves on GC

P1090762

P1090763

This is the drop in, plan on 1/4 miles of this, it gets real steep right after this segment. I'm not sure what it looks like after the rains this summer, but most of the White Tanks trails are in pretty good shape.

IMG_8007

And of course the Spiral Staircase. Careful, the entry will get ya. This is about half way down. There are a few lines you can take for the entry, the line on the left through the rock chute is the original, and the toughest.

P1090739

P1090744

IMG_8081

IMG_8022

ARMOR UP BOYS!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    that looks fecking insane,,

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    that looks fecking insane,,
    Pictures do it no justice. If you click on any of the photos I posted you can see my photostream which has quite a few photos from GC.

Always in the wrong gear
    This thread inspired me to watch every video and look at every photo of that trail I could find. Those pics you posted TiSS'r , and the videos from this guy: mountain biking photos pictures and bike helmetcam mtb videos really were enlightening.

I'm now convinced I have zero business out there.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    ^^ditto

justice was served in the form of saving me from an hour drive out there to check it out and have the most hellacious riding experience of my life

Pivoteer
    This thread inspired me to watch every video and look at every photo of that trail I could find. Those pics you posted TiSS'r , and the videos from this guy: mountain biking photos pictures and bike helmetcam mtb videos really were enlightening.

I'm now convinced I have zero business out there.
    I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but I have taken people out there that were over their head and it was a long walk down and they had no fun at all. Once the descent starts, it never lets up. If I were you, do it as an out and back on Mesquite. That is a hoot too. You will have some tech climbing in the beginning, then it lets up and is a nice smooth climb to the top.

Goat Camp is one of the most demanding trails I have ridden. I would suggest getting comfortable with trails like Holbert, Geronimo, and Viejo to name a few at South Mountain to get your skills in place.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yup, just imagine Holbert but longer without the smooth breaks in between.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    ^^ditto

justice was served in the form of saving me from an hour drive out there to check it out and have the most hellacious riding experience of my life
    Do the out and back. It is an 8 mile climb up and well....an 8 mile descent. It is a bit bumpy for the the first 1.5 miles though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    Do the out and back. It is an 8 mile climb up and well....an 8 mile descent. It is a bit bumpy for the the first 1.5 miles though.
    Or go up to the Mesquite / Goat Camp / Willow Canyon intersection, and take Willow Canyon back to Mesquite, which is also fun. Yeah Goat Camp is a rough one. I was alone last time, not recommended.
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    Or go up to the Mesquite / Goat Camp / Willow Canyon intersection, and take Willow Canyon back to Mesquite, which is also fun. Yeah Goat Camp is a rough one. I was alone last time, not recommended.
    Both times I've done it, I was alone. I definitely walked a few places with high risk/low reward that I would have tried with a group. It's surprising how much of it is rideable actually. Fun chunk if that's your cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Both times I've done it, I was alone. I definitely walked a few places with high risk/low reward that I would have tried with a group. It's surprising how much of it is rideable actually. Fun chunk if that's your cup of tea.
    Yeah I don't try it enough, should try it more, considering its my back yard. Just seems that every crash at the White Tanks breaks something on the bike. More financially responsible to burn petrol to go to another trail over riding from my house
-Grant Petersen

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by tysonnemb View Post
    This is a fun/scenic route too!

Maui Grown
    If anyone is interested....Helimech and I are doing Goat Camp this Tuesday, Veteran's Day. Feel free to join us if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy View Post
    If anyone is interested....Helimech and I are doing Goat Camp this Tuesday, Veteran's Day. Feel free to join us if you want.
    I may be able to join. What time would you be there? Also, I think I rode with you there once. You on a newer Enduro and a Toyota truck?
-Grant Petersen

Always in the wrong gear
    A group of us rode in Sedona today and started from the Bike and bean, rode up slim shady, over and down Hi Line and then Baldwin/templeton, hitting a few side trails and playgrounds. During the ride we started talking about Goat Camp and wondering how it compared to the really steep descent portion of HiLine.
    Anyone know both these trails well enough to compare them?
    For reference, I was definitely at my limit skill and confidence-wise but did ride about 80% of the really steep chutes and drops on that last half of hi line. Anyone that's ridden the trail knows what section I'm talking about. I actually really enjoyed it, but wonder how I'd fare on Goat Camp.

mtbr member
    A group of us rode in Sedona today and started from the Bike and bean, rode up slim shady, over and down Hi Line and then Baldwin/templeton, hitting a few side trails and playgrounds. During the ride we started talking about Goat Camp and wondering how it compared to the really steep descent portion of HiLine.
    Anyone know both these trails well enough to compare them?
    For reference, I was definitely at my limit skill and confidence-wise but did ride about 80% of the really steep chutes and drops on that last half of hi line. Anyone that's ridden the trail knows what section I'm talking about. I actually really enjoyed it, but wonder how I'd fare on Goat Camp.
    I clean the backside of HiLine more often than not. It's really not too difficult and the rock is sandstone. In contrast, Goat Camp is pure chunk. There are continuous sections that I would want some body armor to attempt. The penalty for failure is much higher. If you go OTB or off trail there's no place to land that doesn't have a sharp rock or spiny plant waiting to dish out pain.

mtbr member
    Yeah, what Rockman said. GC = just as steep (in places), chunkier, and much longer. It is unrelenting. And yes, that is me upside down on my head on the Jackhammer pictures tiSS'er posted. That's why I wear as much armor as I have whenever I do Goat Camp. You never know when it's going to get you.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    H-line is a purpose built trail that has form, function and flow. GC, on the other hand, qualifies as scrabble field littered with menacing boulders that likely wouldn't be considered a biking trail by those other than us sun baked delusional morons that love to hate pain. Consider it a right of passage to some self prophecy of being a real mountain biker.

Be prepared to curse at your bike. At times you might even want to throw the damn thing down the hill, but you won't because you will feel sorry for it, and yourself, and you won't have the excess energy needed to do so.

Be prepared to bleed (You will!), prepared the rub your fingers across your scarred stanchions and possibly even your dinged frame, prepared to replace,or at least bend your d-hanger and be prepared to think WTF-why can't I find my mojo? You will likely make the walk of humility through multiple sections and you may even fall down as you attemt to do so. When your friends say, "you can do it" you'll realize, at least by the 3rd time they say it, that they are just proving that you suck and they want to see you fall- again. It's ok to believe them, your LBS needs to sell more parts.

When your done you'll want to do it again, but you won't for a while. In the end you'll have great stories to tell, some bruises, some cuts and, most importantly, a cold beer as you share your tale.

H-line is Easy Breazy (a little Sedona humor) compared to GC.
    AKA: G-wat

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post
    H-line is a purpose built trail that has form, function and flow. GC, on the other hand, qualifies as scrabble field littered with menacing boulders that likely wouldn't be considered a biking trail by those other than us sun baked delusional morons that love to hate pain. Consider it a right of passage to some self prophecy of being a real mountain biker.

Be prepared to curse at your bike. At times you might even want to throw the damn thing down the hill, but you won't because you will feel sorry for it, and yourself, and you won't have the excess energy needed to do so.

Be prepared to bleed (You will!), prepared the rub your fingers across your scarred stanchions and possibly even your dinged frame, prepared to replace,or at least bend your d-hanger and be prepared to think WTF-why can't I find my mojo? You will likely make the walk of humility through multiple sections and you may even fall down as you attemt to do so. When your friends say, "you can do it" you'll realize, at least by the 3rd time they say it, that they are just proving that you suck and they want to see you fall- again. It's ok to believe them, your LBS needs to sell more parts.

When your done you'll want to do it again, but you won't for a while. In the end you'll have great stories to tell, some bruises, some cuts and, most importantly, a cold beer as you share your tale.

H-line is Easy Breazy (a little Sedona humor) compared to GC.
    I sure miss my bikes and I miss Goat Camp Here are some pics from 2013, the last time I ventured out to GC...

Trek up to the Goat

Dropping in

The "easy" line on the Spiral Staircase

Jackhammer

All smiles after another good day on Goat Camp!!

Someday, we shall visit again....

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I once and only once pushed up Goat Camp by myself. Didn't realize you don't start by going up Goat Camp!!

Maui Grown
    Looks like Goat Camp is a no go for tomorrow...we had someone...and I'm not going to name any names (Helimech), bail out. So right now the plan is for this Saturday the 15th. If you are still interested, post-up for this Saturday.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    What time Saturday? Early?

Maui Grown
    Not sure on the time yet...but I'm flexible. Whatever time works for everyone else will work for me.

I should be able to swing it early on Saturday

www.krackedskulls.com

Maui Grown
    I'm planning on this Saturday @ 7:30 Mesquite trailhead. Any takers?

I'm in

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    I'm working on getting a new derailleur next week (somo claimed mine last week), but if you go again in the near future, I'd like to join.
-Grant Petersen

RCC
    Bandolero
    I'm planning on this Saturday @ 7:30 Mesquite trailhead. Any takers?
    I envy you right now! have fun man and be safe out there.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Maui Grown
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    I envy you right now! have fun man and be safe out there.
    RCC
    Ramon! Man, wish you were there. No one showed...so I rode it solo.

RCC
    Bandolero
    so I rode it solo.
    Damn! youre a brave soul Jason.
    It looks like winter is arriving here in NM now so by February or so,I'll come up and ride it with you.by then I'll be ready to get out of the cold for a weekend or so.
    Hopefully the timing will work with you.cheers
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Always in the wrong gear
    I'll be watching for this to come back around. I want to try it, but would like to go with folks who know the lines and have experience out there.
    I tried to get my life together and go with you yesterday, but alas, twas not meant to be.
    I even contemplated going alone today (16th) scouting GC and then riding down Willow or Ford, but it's freakin' WINDY!

Pivoteer
    I'll be watching for this to come back around. I want to try it, but would like to go with folks who know the lines and have experience out there.
    I tried to get my life together and go with you yesterday, but alas, twas not meant to be.
    I even contemplated going alone today (16th) scouting GC and then riding down Willow or Ford, but it's freakin' WINDY!
    Don't ride Ford Canyon, you will regret it. Nice hike though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Piestewa Peak is probably more rideable.....

Always in the wrong gear
    I actually knew that. Not sure why I typed Ford Canyon. Up Mesquite, recon GC, down Willow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So I finally did Goat Camp on Saturday...I started from Mesquite and pedaled for what seemed like forever until I finally got to GC trail signs. When I got to the first intersection after climbing Mesquite, I stayed left, should I have gone right?

As far as Goat Camp, I now know why there are certain trails you just don't ride by yourself. When I got done, I thought I am never going to do this trail again, but after seeing the pics posted, it's got me motivated to go back for more.

I'm down most Sat or Sun mornings, if anyone that knows the trail a bit better than me wants to give it a go.

Rob
    480-489-5160

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Gonna give this another go tomorrow morning Sun 12/21, mid morning start time. if anyone wants to join. Not sure why after my first attempt of Goat Camp but what the hell

Rob
    480-489-5160

Maui Grown
    Would join ya but can't ride tomorrow. I could go next Saturday if you're up for it again. A few of us rode it on Monday and it was a good time as always!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Would join ya but can't ride tomorrow. I could go next Saturday if you're up for it again. A few of us rode it on Monday and it was a good time as always!
    I should be down for next Sat. Keep in touch.

Rob