Goat Camp pics- Mtbr.com

Thread: Goat Camp pics

Kathleen in AZ

Goat Camp pics

Another fun day was had on Goat Camp trail at White Tank Park. I didn't get any good pics of the visiting Brits but here are good ones of visiting friend Greg, local Mark on his new green machine, Mikey rolling the stair steps, and ScottN going thru the ankle biter section.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my new orange bike?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave

Are we in Utah

OMG that looks like Porcupine trail in Moab. When you said it make National look like DC I didn't take you serious enough. I''m glad I didn't go. That would have been hell on my Dos. Makeable but pure hell.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast
    OMG that looks like Porcupine trail in Moab. When you said it make National look like DC I didn't take you serious enough. I''m glad I didn't go. That would have been hell on my Dos. Makeable but pure hell.
    Ha! When on my dos Niner (or any previous bike for that matter), I've always walked a good portion of GC. The 'moth is much more suited to this terrain and I can finally ride the nasties. Keep in mind that we only stop for pics in the really gnarly sections. GC is not one continuous rock pile like in my middle pics.

wrecking crew
    Sweet Pics, Kathleen! But none of you!!!
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    got a pic of my bike! hard to take pics of myself Maybe Brian or Mike will post up shots of me letting it all hang out

I am Doctor Remulak
    Good ride yesterday. I only have a few pictures to share as the riding was too much fun.

Here's Ian (one of the Brits) taking a run at Jackhammer. Ian made lots of the tough sections out there look pretty easy, cleaning most things after a run or two at them. Hopefully he shares the helmet cam video after their US holiday is complete.

Mark takes a turn

Todd took a swipe at it too

and doesn't quite make it

Greg was playing around on a rock on the lower section and did a little damage to his frame. Good thing he works in a shop.

I saw this print over by the water tank. Most likely a coyote.

I am Walt
    Christ...that trail freaks me out. Never been on it; looks to be way over my head.

Mikey - that's a good shot of you.
    Ride more; post less...

wrecking crew
    Walt, there is always the option of the out and back XC instead of dropping into GC. GC is fun though...you should try it. You can always walk the sections the give you the heebie-jeebies. I think your letting it freak you out. Granted, it's not for the weak of heart by any means...
    ~~~

i like cheese.
    Sweet pics Kathleen and Mike... god I gotta get out there.

mtbr member
    OMG that looks like Porcupine trail in Moab.
    Not even close. With the exception of Upper body bag which isn't even on Porc proper (LPS),GC is way more technical than Porc..... and there's no nice soft red sandstone to fall on. It's all pointy granite or basalt..

GC (the descent anyway) is way shorter, steeper, and has Saguaro.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Christ...that trail freaks me out. Never been on it; looks to be way over my head.
    Hey Walt, there's defintely some intimidating sections on the DH out there and those are the spots that are always photographed, but it's not all like the pictures. The beginning of the DH is ridiculously rocky with some steep sections, but then it settles down for a little while before you hit the two sections in the pictures.

The shot of me is actually a fairly easy section to ride, the entrance requires a little line selection and then you need to put the exposure to your right out of your mind as you turn left and roll down the rock. The exposure is what freaks me out the most, I don't like open heights and it's probably a solid 10-15 foot drop down to the trail below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Keep in mind that we only stop for pics in the really gnarly sections. GC is not one continuous rock pile like in my middle pics.
    True, those are the most technical spots but the whole downhill is one big rock pile. It's just a matter of degrees. All pretty rough, A-ride stuff. At least I don't remember much dirt in between the rock gardens. Great fun.

Great pics Kathleen and Mike. Looks like you all had a great ride. Wish I was there. Thanks for sharing. That will help us snow-bound northerners make it through a few more weeks.
    Last edited by KRob; 02-25-2008 at 10:46 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

pedaller
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Greg was playing around on a rock on the lower section and did a little damage to his frame. Good thing he works in a shop.

Hey, I got one of those on my Explosif out at BCT last Oct! (and I wasn't even doing anything fun... )

ahhh....It's just a stratch...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

parenting for gnarness
    Walt, there is always the option of the out and back XC instead of dropping into GC. GC is fun though...you should try it. You can always walk the sections the give you the heebie-jeebies. I think your letting it freak you out. Granted, it's not for the weak of heart by any means...
    i've done the DH once. the climb is a ton of fun, the start of the DH made me crap my pants. then it was more a matter of spotting the really terrifying sections amidst all the mildly terrifying sections. You have to be able to forget and move on (which i struggled mightily with). I didn't even try any of the photographed sections. But i did survive it with no blood and no carnage. I rode 24th st. last week, and it is much much easier than Goat Camp.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Too many Sedonuts...
    lovely. must get out there. soon.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

Professional Amateur
    Man that looks tough (but really cool)! I would like to see that ridden in person but then of course I'd be tempted and probably impale myself on a basalt pike. I'll stay on tucson singletrack for now.

Thanks for the pics!

"Yabut"
    I got a couple of Kathleen.

100_0902.jpg

100_0918.jpg

And one of Mike...

Mike.jpg
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Maui Grown
    I can't believe I still haven't done this trail yet.
    Please post-up the next time you guys plan to do this ride again. Would love to join ya.

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm going to try to load a video of Ian

Happy trails
    sweet video!!! he makes it look easy! i think i'd roll up to it and grab a handfull of brakes!
    great job
    Aaron

livin' the dream......
    Nice pic's & video. That looks pretty wicked!

I like the Canyon Wren soundtrack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Awesome! I almost went with Aaron, but had some chore conflicts. Next time hopefully, this trail looks great. And very impressed with the pics and riders making it look so easy.
    www.TucsonMTB.com Tucson Forum

www.sdmb.org Trail use advocacy club

www.tripsforkidsaz.org Tucson/Phx Chapter

Maui Grown
    Sweet vid Mike. Is that section the "Spiral Staircase" that I've heard about?

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    Sweet vid Mike. Is that section the "Spiral Staircase" that I've heard about?
    Yep, that's the spiral staircase. You'll love the descent out there, but be prepared to earn it because the climb is pretty long.

Black Lion

Another quick Video

Last edited by yogreg; 02-26-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    Voltron

Feb 2007
    I still have yet to ride this trail! looks like a ton of fun. Although i'm not sure my four inch tracer would be a good bike for it! When are you guys going again? I could always use a guide.

mtbr member

Gc

Quote Originally Posted by Poi Boy
    I can't believe I still haven't done this trail yet.
    Please post-up the next time you guys plan to do this ride again. Would love to join ya.
    if/when you ride it, let me know how it is.

I've wanted to do it, but the climb in intimidated some people...
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    great shots and video , Kathleen and Mike,----you guys did a super job !
    i have never been there and did not know how cool it was.
    i am going to have to show this video to the oldlady and then we will go .
    i can't wait to see how quickly i end up on my head

i just love nasty rocks and such

when might you guys go again ?

that is a bumber about Greg's frame , ----i just hate it when i do that

I am Doctor Remulak
    Nice work Greg. How's the snow back home?

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Nice work Greg. How's the snow back home?

Thanks for that one Mike....

Greg
    Voltron

wrecking crew
    yogreg. Great vid footage. Goat Camp rules! My most faaaaavorite-est singletrack in the valley! Sorry we missed the festivities but glad you got the chance to enjoy!

How did you like the fun climb up? It has some really beautiful sections, especially between the Mesquite/Willow junction and the GC Oasis/Spring. The ones that hug the hillsides rock.
    ~~~

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    if/when you ride it, let me know how it is.

I've wanted to do it, but the climb in intimidated some people...

Now who would that be in reference too......

Black Lion
    yogreg. Great vid footage. Goat Camp rules! My most faaaaavorite-est singletrack in the valley! Sorry we missed the festivities but glad you got the chance to enjoy!

How did you like the fun climb up? It has some really beautiful sections, especially between the Mesquite/Willow junction and the GC Oasis/Spring. The ones that hug the hillsides rock.

Goat Camp is ruler. I love the climb up as much as the descent back down. I really loved the section after the waterfall rest area???

Greg
    Voltron

dft
    mtbr member
    i've ridden porc a few times and goat once. porc is a great ride, but NOTHING compared to goat as far as techncial, not even remotely close. i can honestly say that compared to other very chunky technical type of trails (like orginal sin/goats gully in whistler) this might be more techno, good good stuff!

Jan 2008
    Sweet stuff, guys. I'm fairly new to AZ riding and would like to experience some of these trails I'm reading about in these forums. I have Cosmic Ray's trail book, but it's an older version. Are there any books you can recommend that outline Arizona's greatest rides.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodStash
    Sweet stuff, guys. I'm fairly new to AZ riding and would like to experience some of these trails I'm reading about in these forums. I have Cosmic Ray's trail book, but it's an older version. Are there any books you can recommend that outline Arizona's greatest rides.
    That book and the one from Paul B. (he posts here under that name) are probably the most commonly used books for AZ mtb'ing. Trails change over time of course and both these books can be outdated in some sections but a good start for sure.

I'm not a big fan of the comic strip looking book myself, I found I preferred Paul B's book.

Paul's book: http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bike-.../dp/0762712244

Members who have read this thread: 0