Goat Camp/Mesquite changes- Mtbr.com
    Pivoteer

Goat Camp/Mesquite changes

The crew took our first fall ride out at Goat Camp today..and wow, what changes did we see! Once you turn onto Mesquite Canyon, the first thing we noticed was the 6 foot wide, heavily goomed trail. Getting closer to the hike-a-bike, it was clear there was some major work being done. There were some small excavotrs by the hike-a-bike. The trail was smoothed considerably, and the lower 25% of the HAB is now GONE!. The trail is directed around to the left and is a smooth, very ridable section. The HAB there no longer exists. The remaining 75% seems to be untouched, though I am not confident that won't be changed soon.

The remaining ride was pretty much left unchanged, although the section of trail up to the first saddle has been sanitized quite a bit. The climb was much easier than I remember.

The good news is that GC is still GC . The upper section was very loose and chunky.

Sorry no photos, but does anyone know what/or how much work they are going to do on the lower section? I really liked the challenge of the lower section when doing an out and back. Kind of disappointing to see that level of changes.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Last time I was out there was just before Thanksgiving. The lower Mesquite was all bulldozed like you say, but the hike-a-bike was unchanged. At that time, there was one small backhoe near the base of the hike-a-bike. I wasn't too pleased.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Last time I was out there was just before Thanksgiving. The lower Mesquite was all bulldozed like you say, but the hike-a-bike was unchanged. At that time, there was one small backhoe near the base of the hike-a-bike. I wasn't too pleased.

Neither was I...that and the fact that they are building a library right at the entrance of the park. Sucks to see so much of the that area cleared out. I am sure they will do a nice job.

As far as the trail work, it seems like there are better places to spend taxpayer money. I know it is cliche, but it feels like they are paving the trails...literally. Wonder if someone was hurt on that section...seems like a pretty easy place to twist an ankle

mtbr member
    From a purely selfish point of view, I find this rather disappointing. That Hike-a-bike work as pretty good filter.

Happy trails
    They started the re-route of the lower section about a month ago.The tractors have not moved in 2 weeks or longer.I enjoyed the hike-a-bike section,as sam stated,it's a good filter.
    I have been meaning to ask a gate attendant about the trail work,everytime I think about asking,i'm on the out of the park.I hope they leave the rest of the trail system alone.
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I spoke with a ranger three weeks ago, and he told me the whole lower section will be groomed. I told him that i thought that sucks as it is a filter. He replied by saying thats better for you right, now you wont have to hike a bike.
    I guess from park view and revenue they figure if more road weenies can ride it then they get more money.

AKA shitbird
    I saw the same thing Friday and was bummed. It sucks enough as a mountain biker to see challenging features destroyed but the whole grooming thing irks me beyond just my biking thoughts. Maybe my thinking is flawed but I always thought that when people chose to "hike" a "mountain" that they wanted to actually HIKE a MOUNTAIN, maybe spend a little time traveling a path that interacts with the natural surroundings, not stroll a 5' wide path that is essentially paved. The project makes no sense at all, to me it appears as though the parks department is feeling a need to justify their jobs with projects that take many man hours. Am I crazy to think that construction of multi-use trails should generally NOT require heavy equipment???

I just pray that they do not ever ever ever EVER touch the tech downhill on Goat Camp.
    JRA

It rains here. :(
    Goodbye HAB!

I'm not sure why mtb riders would want to get off their bikes, nor do I understand why a mtb rider would take enjoy in limiting access to other mtb riders who don't want to hike with their bike. I would think if anyone is to be upset it would be the hikers not bikers...besides they practically paved parts of the comp. loop why would anyone assume the weren't going to "fix" parts of the multi-use trails.
    07 GF Rig

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Goodbye HAB!

I'm not sure why mtb riders would want to get off their bikes, nor do I understand why a mtb rider would take enjoy in limiting access to other mtb riders who don't want to hike with their bike. I would think if anyone is to be upset it would be the hikers not bikers...besides they practically paved parts of the comp. loop why would anyone assume the weren't going to "fix" parts of the multi-use trails.
    don't mix up limiting access vs. filtering. Not a single poster suggested preventing any biker from riding the trail (or hiking their bike). Arrogant as I may sound, making a trail easy leads to it getting easier and\or overridden and further widened.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Goodbye HAB!

For me, the HAB is part of the GC experience. I know the very first thing I think about it the painful climb to the HAB, then the HAB itself. GC is a unique trail, there is nothing else quite like it in the valley.

GC for me is about the reward at the end of the climb. If someone doesn't want to put forth the effort to get through the HAB, then they shouldn't ride the trail and get the reward. The HAB did not limit anyone from riding the trail...well maybe the lazy ones (yes, I have seen people turn around and leave once they got to the HAB). As many have said, it is a filter. If you can't handle the HAB, good luck on GC.

Ultimately, my point is that trails throughout the valley are getting the same treatment. I want to ride technical, difficult terrain. When I don't, I ride Hawes or MMP. Trail users have plenty of options throughout the valley to ride the type of terrain they prefer without the trail sanitaztion that is occuring.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    For me, the HAB is part of the GC experience. I know the very first thing I think about it the painful climb to the HAB, then the HAB itself. GC is a unique trail, there is nothing else quite like it in the valley.

GC for me is about the reward at the end of the climb. If someone doesn't want to put forth the effort to get through the HAB, then they shouldn't ride the trail and get the reward. The HAB did not limit anyone from riding the trail...well maybe the lazy ones (yes, I have seen people turn around and leave once they got to the HAB). As many have said, it is a filter. If you can't handle the HAB, good luck on GC.

Ultimately, my point is that trails throughout the valley are getting the same treatment. I want to ride technical, difficult terrain. When I don't, I ride Hawes or MMP. Trail users have plenty of options throughout the valley to ride the type of terrain they prefer without the trail sanitaztion that is occuring.
    Kinda the same thing they did to the trails in Cave Creek Regional Park. Overton and Go John were not even that technical and now they're sanitized byways where hikers can tread two abreast instead of single file. Maybe that's the goal? Essentially narrow roads where ATV's can be used for rescue purposes as all the multi-trail users succumb from heat

I've only ridden Goat Camp once but the HAB section on Mesquite was maybe too close to the Ramada/picnic area and hence the effort at "improved" access.

Trail Monger
    What does HAB refer to?

Don't believe the Hype...
    Bummer...Riding down the HAB after a out and back was pretty hairy when you're beat. I've seen a couple good riders eat it on the way home...
    Last edited by luckybastard; 01-04-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Dooosh!
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    What does HAB refer to?
    Hike A Bike
    He who dies with the most toys first, wins!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I guess I better get out a experieince GC as the classic it is before its gone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    We still have ford canyon. There is lots of hike a bike unless they sanitize it too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Kinda the same thing they did to the trails in Cave Creek Regional Park. Overton and Go John were not even that technical and now they're sanitized byways where hikers can tread two abreast instead of single file. Maybe that's the goal? Essentially narrow roads where ATV's can be used for rescue purposes as all the multi-trail users succumb from heat

I've only ridden Goat Camp once but the HAB section on Mesquite was maybe too close to the Ramada/picnic area and hence the effort at "improved" access.
    I think the "green-belt" treatment that was given to the Cave Creek/Overton Go John area was done to allow the horseback rentals to use that area. (I don't agree with it, but I think that is why it was done)

If you want to find out where the problem is, follow the money.

It always seems to be about the money with just about everything . . .

It rains here. :(
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondave
    We still have ford canyon. There is lots of hike a bike unless they sanitize it too.
    Yeah Ford Canyon is a mess as well..but again I wouldn't call fixing a trail to somewhat rideable (even if by only experts) sanitization...I call it progress for a trail that is listed as multi-use.
    07 GF Rig

Members who have read this thread: 0