Don't believe the Hype...

Goat Camp DH bike

I'd like to hear a few recs of peoples ideal budget setup for riding Goat Camp DH. I've done the XC out and back several times on my rigid 29er but am thinking about getting something to handle the DH section.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    From what I gathered while skimming this read, just a basic FS bike and wear a full face helmet just in case! ouch!

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/AZ08WhiteTanks-Day3.htm

Never been there but for sure want to hit it up this year.
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I witnessed it done by a few competent riders on FS 4" XC bikes. Seems to me a good rider (not me!) would be able to do it on whatever they were riding since it all seems to boil down to that.

Seems to me a slackish geomtery 5-6" bike that still knows how to pedal and climb would be perfect for that trail. That's what I was on. On the way up I wanted my light 4" XC bike, and on the way down the 6" bike seemed just about right. I was left wanting lower gear ratios for the climb (which I now have) and more skill for the descent (which I do not). The bike's geometry was great for the ride down though.

I was riding a 2010 Marin Attack Trail 6.8. Another guy cleaned up on that trail on a 2009 Wolf Ridge which is basically a ~5" version of the Attack trail.

If you wanted to toally rip it on the way down you might want more, I dunno, but I sure wouldn't want to pedal an 8" bike up GC.

Meant to mention, a freshly assembled Morewood Izimu made the trip up and back down, so anything is possible.
    Last edited by DesertCrawler; 04-04-2011 at 10:38 AM.

AKA shitbird
    I've done the full ride on a few different bikes.

Specialized Epic: Great on ride up, a little rough heading down, not much fun
    Canfield Balance 6" am ride: Not a bad ride up, awesome ride down
    Transition Blindside 8": Sloooooow ride up and actually wasn't all that great on the descent down GC. DH bike is overkill for the GC descent in my opinion. 5-6" all mountain bike is perfect
    JRA

mtbr member
    I think a 6" bike is perfect for GC. I rode it on my el guapo and it was fine on the way up and awesome on the way down. I don't think you would need a DH bike for the way down. Plus getting that bike to the top would be slow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you dont mind walking up the DH bike would be totally fun on the way down.

mtbr member
    Ya what EABOS said. A big bike is overkill = to slow for all the rocks. You need something quick and agile, hmmm like a Nomad, 575, or any 5 or 6ish bike.
    SHITBIRD

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    My 575 felt perfect. Flew up the climbed and managed as much dh as I could on the way down. I do have a beefier build with a 160mm fork 720 bars and 65mil stem. Wish I would have had my KS950 when I did it a few months back! A good 6inch bike is perfect with some beefier tires.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

How about something like this? 6" up front on a Cromoly HT with a ton of stand over room?

http://nsbikes.com/2011/bikes/core-1.html

www.krackedskulls.com

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll tell ya: I built a very nice steel hardtail with a 160 fork a few months back. I somehow got the idea that I could make it work as a play bike and it would be fun. It was not.

Don't know your age or the condition of your neck/spine/knees/ankles/hips, but a couple of PMP runs and a couple shuttles on SoMo cured me of the idea that a long-travel hardtail is a viable option for me for AZ riding.

Take that for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    I'll tell ya: I built a very nice steel hardtail with a 160 fork a few months back. I somehow got the idea that I could make it work as a play bike and it would be fun. It was not.

Don't know your age or the condition of your neck/spine/knees/ankles/hips, but a couple of PMP runs and a couple shuttles on SoMo cured me of the idea that a long-travel hardtail is a viable option for me for AZ riding.

Bummer, seems like it would be. I had a 26" Monocog with 80mm up front and really liked it.

www.krackedskulls.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant

Bummer, seems like it would be. I had a 26" Monocog with 80mm up front and really liked it.

www.krackedskulls.com

Members who have read this thread: 0