Goat Camp- Mtbr.com

Thread: Goat Camp

CrazyEye

Goat Camp

Has anyone tried going straight up Mesquite to Goat Camp this year?

Last winter I saw a crew up there cutting a new trail.

Just wondering if it's finished yet? I might have to give it a go this weekend...

wrecking crew
    Dunno yet. But cutting out Willow Canyon to Ford is some of the best parts of the route so I'm inclined to stick to it unless I need a shortcut. That stretch between the Mesquite/Willow Canyon junction and the Willow Springs/Goat Camp Oasis area is a huge blast and it seems just wrong to truncate the ride like that. It would be like hacking off a limb. Of course, that is my own opinion...
    ~~~

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I did on accident. It wasn't fun and I agree with su.ling, you miss out on some of the best parts of the trail.

Happy trails

not sure about a new trail on that side but...

the new trail that's going to "replace" or "bypass" the switchbacked climb out of ford canyon is still unfinished.after the second or so turn the new trail takes of across the hillside and ends up at the last big canyon before the goat camp trail.it takes all the hard climbing away.unless they make it an option to go either way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aaron

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by FATTRAXX
    it takes all the hard climbing away.
    Where's the fun in that?
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

CrazyEye
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602
    I did on accident. It wasn't fun and I agree with su.ling, you miss out on some of the best parts of the trail.
    Not fun huh? Not fun as in not ridable? Or not fun as too easy and boring? Like the last couple miles of the competive track at the White Tanks..

Kathleen in AZ
    Years ago before so much of the trail we ride today to get up top was cut out and made buttery smooth, I took Mesquite as a "short-cut" to avoid Goat Camp because I was so tired and not feeling too good once I got up top. It was super duper steep and unridable for me at the time. Think about it... it's shorter than the long way around yet covers the same elevation change, so unless they've cut new trail expect it to be a steep *itch of a climb (hike).

mtbr member
    Goats go camping?

CrazyEye
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Years ago before so much of the trail we ride today to get up top was cut out and made buttery smooth, I took Mesquite as a "short-cut" to avoid Goat Camp because I was so tired and not feeling too good once I got up top. It was super duper steep and unridable for me at the time. Think about it... it's shorter than the long way around yet covers the same elevation change, so unless they've cut new trail expect it to be a steep *itch of a climb (hike).
    I talked to one of the guys on the crew last winter and I think he said it would be more ridable. But don't quote me...It was at the top of the "Super Switchback", so it was hard to hear him over my screaming lungs

Members who have read this thread: 0