Go Pro users....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Go Pro users....

Okay so I searched he words Go Pro and got nothing, kinda unexpected. Anyway, I was looking at personal camcorders (like the Kodak ZX3/5) to do interviews and quick shots for the website I work for and then....I started thinking about using it to film some MTB riding too! I get a camcorder for "work" that is tax deductible and get to use it for play!

Research has led me to find that the Go Pro is probably the best choice for ride vids, but how will it do sound wise for say interviews? I am also a little confused on which model I really need. I am not filming vids for HDTV (don't even own one) just for YouTube type stuff. I have heard of wide angle and heard the newer ones aren't.

There are lots of vid guys here locally and that is why I posted up here so if needed we could meet up and "show the idiot" how this stuff works!

Thanks!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    With the waterproof housing, the sound is really muffled. They do supply a second door to the housing that is boared out for better sound, but I actually haven't used it.

I think you'd be pretty disappointed with the audio results of this camera, but a work around would be to grab a digital voice recorder and sync the audio track with the video track when you edit it.

I really dig the GoPro, especially the mounts, but another option would be the Contour HD. Perhaps the sound and vid quality might be a tad bit better, and it can be had for $137.99.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo View Post
    With the waterproof housing, the sound is really muffled. They do supply a second door to the housing that is boared out for better sound, but I actually haven't used it.

I think you'd be pretty disappointed with the audio results of this camera, but a work around would be to grab a digital voice recorder and sync the audio track with the video track when you edit it.

I really dig the GoPro, especially the mounts, but another option would be the Contour HD. Perhaps the sound and vid quality might be a tad bit better, and it can be had for $137.99.
    Actually the sound pickup is pretty good if you don't use the waterproof door.

I was playing a test video I did and my asked me what that squeaking was - the cleats on my shoe.

Picked up clear as a bell.

mtbr member
    Without the waterproof case on it does pick up audio pretty good but probably not interview quality audio. And I don't know how good an interview would look with a 170 degree wide angle view. I love the gopro for action shots but haven't used it for any interview type shooting.

dirt visionary
    not all resolutions have such a wide angle.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Pivotal figure
    Here's a short video using the GoPro HD with the open back housing. Setting is r5 (1080p @ 30 fps). Arvin is maybe 6 ft away from me and we're both wearing full face helmets but the mic picks up the conversation just fine. BTW, I tried shutting off the autoplay option several times but it isn't cooperating....

Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

No Clue Crew
    I love that clip. Still amazes me you need so little runway to launch that gap.