Globe weekend: Any preferences?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482

    Globe weekend: Any preferences?

    Gonna put together another Globe weekend but being out of the loop for a month means I don't know what's already on the plate. Does anyone even use the "Arizona Calendar" function any more? I know I haven't even thought of looking at it for months.

    The only weekend I already have scheduled is 11/12; are there any other conflicting events in November I should schedule around? I'm looking at the following weekend, the 18th-19th, as a likely candidate (assuming no rain/snow).

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,040
    11/18 is out for me. I have a sickness and I'm not ashamed of it.

    GO BLUE!
    b

  3. #3
    I am Doctor Remulak
    Reputation: AZ Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Gonna put together another Globe weekend but being out of the loop for a month means I don't know what's already on the plate. Does anyone even use the "Arizona Calendar" function any more? I know I haven't even thought of looking at it for months.

    The only weekend I already have scheduled is 11/12; are there any other conflicting events in November I should schedule around? I'm looking at the following weekend, the 18th-19th, as a likely candidate (assuming no rain/snow).

    p.
    I can only make Sunday's for the next few weeks due to Saturday morning soccer.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    the 18th-19th, as a likely candidate (assuming no rain/snow).

    p.
    That'll definitely keep me away, I'll be training to be a check-airman (one who administers filght tests for licenses/ratings) on that weekend.

    Arizona calender whozee-whatzit?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    Newbie...yeah that's it
    Reputation: AZSunGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    179
    Didn't know there was an AZ calendar. Is there a link or something?

    ::edit:: DOH! Just found it..............................disregard

  6. #6
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Hm...how about the following weekend? 25-26? I don't want to get TOO late into the year because it's getting cold up there and camping will suck.

    Dr. C -- it's urgently important you make this next Globe thing, even for a day. You need to be introduced to the absolute best riding in the state.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  7. #7
    Too many Sedonuts...
    Reputation: CactusJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,512
    Paul - I keep hearing about how good the riding is in Globe...what is the terrain like? I'd like to go if there is a group going that can show me where this mtb-nirvana is located and where the best trails are.

    -JB

  8. #8
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusJoe
    Paul - I keep hearing about how good the riding is in Globe...what is the terrain like? I'd like to go if there is a group going that can show me where this mtb-nirvana is located and where the best trails are.

    -JB
    There are five distinct ways down the mountain, and they're all between 10-18 miles of more-or-less constant descending. It's not super-steep (Red Onion) nor super-technical (Holbert, Goat Camp) but there are several hairy sections, lots of exposure, and plenty of reasons to wear armor along the way. To my mind it's the very definition of "all mountain" (particularly if you pedal to the top, which I won't do any more). It's a lot of pedaling if you bring a dh bike but it's a lot of white-knuckle descending if you bring your XC racer.

    Because the day is most fun when you shuttle to the top (which you can do 2-3 times in a day if you're with a fast group or camping -- the freezing cold dawn patrol ride Saturday/Sunday morning can't be beat), there's sort of a critical mass of riders and trucks necessary to make it happen.

    Because of the extreme elevation change (about 4000') there's a narrow window for riding there every year -- it may be snowy and wet at the top, or scorching hot at the bottom. Right now is primo 'til the snow hits the top; then we have to wait 'til April-ish before it's dry enough to ride. You pass through high pine/alpine forest, into pinyon-juniper, and into high Sonoran desert along the way. Wear layers.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  9. #9
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,278
    I'd definitely agree with the lots of pedaling part on the DH bike. Especially at the bottom where it really flattens out. Next time I think I'm bringing my Stumpy and just switch my flats over. But don't get me wrong it still can be dangerous especially with blowdown and crashes that can keep you tumbling for awhile.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brianc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Hm...how about the following weekend? 25-26? I don't want to get TOO late into the year because it's getting cold up there and camping will suck.

    Dr. C -- it's urgently important you make this next Globe thing, even for a day. You need to be introduced to the absolute best riding in the state.

    p.

    believe me, I want to ride Globe. can't wait to either.
    b

  11. #11
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Hm...how about the following weekend? 25-26? I don't want to get TOO late into the year because it's getting cold up there and camping will suck.

    Dr. C -- it's urgently important you make this next Globe thing, even for a day. You need to be introduced to the absolute best riding in the state.

    p.
    I've done it once and had a blast! Nov is all booked up for me though. Dec 2-3 and 9-10 would work although the chilly factor might be an issue.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    There are five distinct ways down the mountain, and they're all between 10-18 miles of more-or-less constant descending.
    Are they anything like six shooter, if so I might be in for that with some others joining in Later.

  13. #13
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Are they anything like six shooter, if so I might be in for that with some others joining in Later.
    They're all different. Kellner Canyon starts out substantially more difficult than Six Shooter and then becomes fast and swoopy. Ice House Canyon is generally harder overall (and since hardly anyone rides it, probably clogged with deadfall -- I lucked into riding it ONCE just after it'd been cleared and it was glorious). Telephone Trail features all the best stuff on Six Shooter AND leaves out the nasty climb in the middle; it's the most consistently downward-moving trail on the whole mountain. You know about Six Shooter. And the last, Squaw Spring/Toll Road is my absolute favorite 2 miles of trail in the whole state...that is, all of Squaw Spring. Then you're either pushing your bike up East Mountain and riding, or taking the road down to Toll Road, which is a mix of really awesome super-swoop and really sh|tty hike a bike. By far the hardest portage is the top 1/3 of Toll Road.

    Hope you can make it!

    K -- I'm thinking a return trip in early/mid December will definitely be in order, barring snow.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  14. #14
    Just another half mile...
    Reputation: Epicrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,064

    Ditto here too!

    I already have the next four weekends booked. Early Dec would be great, baring snow.

    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    I've done it once and had a blast! Nov is all booked up for me though. Dec 2-3 and 9-10 would work although the chilly factor might be an issue.

  15. #15
    Kathleen in AZ
    Reputation: DurtGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    5,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    They're all different.
    K -- I'm thinking a return trip in early/mid December will definitely be in order, barring snow.

    p.
    OK, here's the plan... all you guys doing the November trip be sure to pack wire saws, chain saws, clippers, etc in your Camelbacks. On each run take the time for a little grooming so that the Dec trip can be free sailing!! Yea, I think this is a dandy idea .

  16. #16
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    OK, here's the plan... all you guys doing the November trip be sure to pack wire saws, chain saws, clippers, etc in your Camelbacks. On each run take the time for a little grooming so that the Dec trip can be free sailing!! Yea, I think this is a dandy idea .
    Not completely insane. I don't know about heavy equipment but we'll certainly be pulling stuff off the trail whenever possible. I'll look into a folding saw for some of the middling-sized stuff. The rangers are very, very supportive of us up there.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: helimech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,814
    So is there a ride in Nov? 18th or 19th? I was on sixshooter about a month ago and Paul I don't think that folding saw would dent some of the trees crossing the trail, a chain saw was in dire need then. Later.

  18. #18
    caninus xerophilous
    Reputation: SunDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,741
    Ah pooh! My visit is over Veterans Day weekend. Looks like Area 52/Oak Flats or a big Lemmon ride for me then.

  19. #19
    swashbucklerette
    Reputation: Pirate Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Hm...how about the following weekend? 25-26? I don't want to get TOO late into the year because it's getting cold up there and camping will suck.
    Zac and I would definitely be up for that weekend! And we'd be camping too.

  20. #20
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Ah, that settles it. I'll post an official announcement for 25/26 and get the ball rolling.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  21. #21
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,278
    Sweet! Paul do you think my idea of bulking up the Stumpy is a good idea? I was struggling with the big bike on the bottom of six shooter.

  22. #22
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Sweet! Paul do you think my idea of bulking up the Stumpy is a good idea? I was struggling with the big bike on the bottom of six shooter.
    It'll certainly make for an exciting ride at top!

    Fact of the matter is, there is no perfect ride for this mountain.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

  23. #23
    Ouch, I am hot!
    Reputation: Dirdir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,764
    I would love to go, but that weekend has always been tough for me given Thanksgiving and all. I'll see if I can work some magic. This year, since my mom now lives here, may be different.
    I AM JUST A JERK

  24. #24
    swashbucklerette
    Reputation: Pirate Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Ah, that settles it. I'll post an official announcement for 25/26 and get the ball rolling.

    p.
    Really? Sweet! Thanks Paul, you're the bestest. AND you got yourself a free warm shower from the RV.

    Wait a sec...is that why...ah, nevermind.

  25. #25
    Saucy Size
    Reputation: Paul B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I would love to go, but that weekend has always been tough for me given Thanksgiving and all. I'll see if I can work some magic. This year, since my mom now lives here, may be different.
    That's true, and there will probably be a bunch of post-FOTP burnout cases who won't feel up to it as well. I hadn't thought about it 'til I wrote it on my calendar. But I've pulled the trigger, so let's see who makes it.

    I'm thinking another weekend mid-December will happen as well, for those who can't do this one.

    p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.