Globe Campout and Shuttlefest: November 24-26 (RSVP HERE)- Mtbr.com
    Saucy Size

Globe Campout and Shuttlefest: November 24-26 (RSVP HERE)

Okay, the dates are settled. November 25 and 26 I'll be organizing shuttle runs down Pinal Mountain, southwest of Globe and home of IMO the best riding in Arizona.I'll be camping at the Upper Pinal Recreation Area the evening of the 24th; any and all are welcome to join me and participate in the Dawn Patrol ride the following morning.

This is an open invite to everyone here. All riders are welcome. That said, here are more details to ensure everyone has a good time and babysitting (i.e. Paul hanging out 45 minutes behind the group getting you to a bailout point) is kept to a minimum:

* The riding on Pinal Mountain is challenging and remote. It is not double-black-diamond difficult and there are no commit-or-die sections. However, there are many, many opportunities to hurt yourself and/or break a bike. If you go down, it may be many hours before you get to a hospital. If you are not confident in your riding and self-rescue skills, please either consider traveling with someone who is, or reconsider doing this ride.

* The type of bike and rider prep I've most often seen in doing these shuttle events for the past 5 years is this: All-mountain longish-travel bike (5-7 inches) and arm/leg armor. None of these are required; I'm just putting out there what I've seen on the trail. This is the setup I'll be bringing. I've done the pressure suit and full-face and I'm feeling like that's overkill. Bring what you'd like, but know that good riders have generally preferred more travel and protection than less. A full DH bike will be very hard to pedal, and there is some pedaling in all five trails. A full XC racer bike will work but you'd better have a solid skill set behind it.

* It is going to be cold. Really, really cold at night. If you're camping, be prepared for winter camping. Winds can be very high. During the day, the top of the mountain will be cold and the desert at the bottom will be warmish-to-perfect, so wear layers.

* Each run is 10-18 miles long and can take as little as 1 hour or as many as 3 hours to ride, depending on rider skill and degree of blowdown on the trail. Combined with a shuttle drive of about 45 minutes, this means each run is a substantial time investment.

All that said, I hope to see plenty of Pinal vets as well as plenty of newbs!

Please RSVP here. I'll post more details to this thread. Calendar linky here.

p.
    Last edited by Paul B; 11-03-2006 at 04:01 PM.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

swashbucklerette
    Sign us up! PirateGirl and Mr. PirateGirl (). My baby Bullit was perfect last time, and I'm sure Zac can't wait to try the Norco. Maybe this time he'll be able to keep up with me.

My only concern is snow. Driving the RV up that road with snow would be a death wish, so as it gets closer, keep us posted on the conditions if you have any contact with your ranger buddies.

What kind of pie do you want?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl
    What kind of pie do you want?
    Must...fight...lewd...comment...whew, that was close.

I'm thinking a Jack Daniels Pecan Pie from Rock Springs Cafe would be a sound investment of both gas and time. Maybe this trip will be pie-themed?

I'll keep an eye on the weather, that's for sure.

p.

banned
    Paul,

Id like to join you guys on this trip. I don't have a big bike at the present time. any recomendations on who to contact about big bike rentals?

Thanks,

Jason

I am Doctor Remulak
    I'm probably in for a day, looking forward to hitting Pinal Mtn on the Yeti.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Paul,

Id like to join you guys on this trip. I don't have a big bike at the present time. any recomendations on who to contact about big bike rentals?

Thanks,

Jason
    Chat with someone @ Cactus Bike, maybe? They're the ones I know best and they seem to have a very supportive vibe there. Don't know if they have big bike rentals, though. Ask.

If you're very comfortable on your bike and have taken it down the harder stuff in Phoenix (National, Geronimo) and Tucson (Milagrosa, Oracle Ridge) you may not "need" a bigger bike. Nothing on Pinal Mountain is any harder than any of those four trails I just listed. The distances are just much longer.

p.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Chat with someone @ Cactus Bike, maybe? They're the ones I know best and they seem to have a very supportive vibe there. Don't know if they have big bike rentals, though. Ask.

If you're very comfortable on your bike and have taken it down the harder stuff in Phoenix (National, Geronimo) and Tucson (Milagrosa, Oracle Ridge) you may not "need" a bigger bike. Nothing on Pinal Mountain is any harder than any of those four trails I just listed. The distances are just much longer.

p.

Thanks paul! I am very comfortable on my bikes. Hammering all day down hill is pretty hard on my back. so thats why I was looking for a full suspension, not a big bike per se.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    Oh, tasty. I haven't seen this bike yet, have I?

p.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    Hey, Mike! Maybe we could do a Yeti carpool Saturday? I'd like to get up early for the "dawn patrol" run. That will just about guarantee a three-run day.
    I've nothing to add....

Stray Bullet
    For us SoCaler's who have no idea where this, can provide links to the trails?

How many runs can you do in a day?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    For us SoCaler's who have no idea where this, can provide links to the trails?

How many runs can you do in a day?
    The trails are on Pinal Mountain, east of Phoenix by about 90 minutes and southwest of Globe. Look at a state map and follow US 60 east out of Phoenix. Here's a link describing the trails from our "VISITORS READ HERE FIRST" sticky.

Strong/fast groups can get as many as 4 rides in a day if they start by camping the night before and maintain good logistical discipline. More typical is 2-3 rides. They're long, 90 minutes to 3 hours depending on the trail, mechanicals, and skill.

p.

We de MAMMY NUNS!
    The trails are on Pinal Mountain, east of Phoenix by about 90 minutes and southwest of Globe. Look at a state map and follow US 60 east out of Phoenix. Here's a link describing the trails from our "VISITORS READ HERE FIRST" sticky.

Strong/fast groups can get as many as 4 rides in a day if they start by camping the night before and maintain good logistical discipline. More typical is 2-3 rides. They're long, 90 minutes to 3 hours depending on the trail, mechanicals, and skill.

p.
    Paul, when you get around to posting directions, Hill Street is the proper right hand turn off of 60. Remember there is signage in two places and the first one is much more obvious, not only because it's first.
    I've nothing to add....

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Ya_Hozna
    Hey, Mike! Maybe we could do a Yeti carpool Saturday? I'd like to get up early for the "dawn patrol" run. That will just about guarantee a three-run day.
    That could work

mtbr member
    I'm a 100% maybe for the rides.
    b

I am Doctor Remulak
    Oh, tasty. I haven't seen this bike yet, have I?

p.
    I don't think you've seen it in person yet. It should be a great Globe bike.

p.
    Care to provide, say, an Elden analogy for those of us that stay away from the heat? (We talkin' Ricochet or Wasabi?)

"Winter camping" sounds excellent.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Care to provide, say, an Elden analogy for those of us that stay away from the heat? (We talkin' Ricochet or Wasabi?)

"Winter camping" sounds excellent.
    Ricochet, with long stretches of very fast, swoopy sections. Some hobbit-foresty sections as well.

p.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Paul,

I think last trip we cleaned up six shooter in about an hour with no mechanicals. That's keeping a good pace. I can't really compare Pinal to anything else in the state which is odd. I took my Spec big hit on the last two trips and it was fun on the fast sections but the climbs were tough. Like Paul said a good all mountain bike 5-7inch travel is going to do the trick. Also bail out sections are slim to none so be prepared. Just my .02. Oh and btw I'm in for Saturday.

Ricochet, with long stretches of very fast, swoopy sections. Some hobbit-foresty sections as well.

p.
    Hmmmm, have to see what's happen' for T-day weekend. I might be the knife at the gunfight with a rigid.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Hmmmm, have to see what's happen' for T-day weekend. I might be the knife at the gunfight with a rigid.
    Not if you're a badass.

p.

Not if you're a badass.

p.
    Badass; faar from it.

Young and a bit stupid: perhaps.

mtbr member
    I'm in and I think 2 others as well with camping on one night (not sure which one). 1 quick ? how are we doing the shuttling? Later.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    I'm in and I think 2 others as well with camping on one night (not sure which one). 1 quick ? how are we doing the shuttling? Later.
    Working on a dedicated driver for the day. If we take up a collection I can hire one each day but that's a worst-case scenario. Sometimes we have girlfriends/wives/non-riding partners who want to participate by driving. Sometime it's apparent who's tired and willing to pick up driving duty.

Will post more details later.

p.

I railed it like Kong
    Did anyone ever take a helmet cam down sixshooter yet? Before i moved from AZ that was the major talk- someones got to get this entire trail on tape! I wish i could join you guys. I give sixshooter the gold star of trail awards and will be making a trip in the late spring from St George to do it. Have fun you guys and take a video camera!!!
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I took some but unfortunately minimal memory was the case. I now have a 1gig chip in it. I should have it with me next trip.

Low speed, High Drag
    I'll probably have to work, but I'd love to get up there, and do this before it gets to cold.

Anybody seen any good prices, locally, on armor?

mtbr member
    I am up for the ride on Friday the 24 Br fore heading to Cali, what time are you starting ? From the top or doing the first run up the Mountain.
    Sorry miss understood the WIFE we are coming back on Friday so i can hook up for the Saturday Ride .
    Last edited by A.P.B; 11-12-2006 at 10:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

hello everyone

hey all long time no post. this trip sounds real fun and just what I'd like to do on the long weekend, but one big question. Is there more downhill than up hill?.....yeah I'm a wimp.

Also is everyone meeting up there or are people car pooling up to globe? I know I would be up for that and I am a tucson guy. So folks let me know.
    Bart with $10,000 we'd be millionares. We could buy all sorts of valuable things...like love.

horizontally compliant

Have any room...

for a pasty-skinned Midwesterner?

We're flying back home Saturday evening, but if I get my lazy azz out of bed early enough, I think I'll have time to make a run or 2 with you guys. The trail & company sound too good to miss.

Where can I find driving directions to the Sat. a.m. meet-up (or later shuttle, in case my Flight of the Pigs hangover makes me late)?

Matt

Saucy Size
    Okay, some quick answers:

APB: Sounds good. Be at the staging area around 9 a.m. Saturday to get in on the first run of the day. Details below.

ballstothewall: Yeah, lots of people coming up from Tucson. Someone should be posting here shortly. Yeah, it's predominantly downhill (which is why we're shuttling to the top of that monster mountain -- I really don't like pedaling 4500' up).

Simpleton: Doing Globe AND FOTP? Udaman! I'm hoping other FOTP survivors will be coming out as well.

DIRECTIONS TO THE STAGING AREA

From Phoenix: Head east on US60 heading toward Globe. You'll drive through Superior, then Oak Flat, then Miami, then Claypool and finally Globe. On the outskirts of town you'll see an Upper Pinal Rec Area sign pointed toward Pinal Mountain -- don't take that one. Continue on into town. Look for the US Ranger Station signs. I believe the turnoff is Hill Street, turning left off the US60 headed into old town Globe. Follow the Ranger Station signs! You should turn right and head over train tracks, come to a T with another road (Jessie Hayes Rd/Pioneer Road -- you'll be able to see Connie's, a convenience store), turn left at Connie's and drive maybe a mile or less heading out of town.

The staging area is at the corner of Six Shooter Canyon Road (which is where the USFS office is) and the turnoff for Kellner/Ice House Canyon Road. It's a big dirt lot. Look for the bikes and the trucks. We'll be the only MTBers out there.

From Tucson: Same deal, but come up the 77 and go through town. Look for Hill St. on your left, before the big turn north.

FINALLY I have a workable road map. Any questions? Post up here.

p.
    Attached Images Attached Images

horizontally compliant

I'm out

I can't make it work, time-wise. Poop.

Next time I'm in AZ I'll make it a priority to hit this trail. Sounds like a blast!

Have fun...

mtbr member
    Hey Paul is their any trail maps of this area cant seem to find any on the web or in any of the locale trail guides.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Must ride bike down mountain

I'd like to do at least one day, maybe two. AZ Mikey, you going alone?
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Smile Cell phone or way to reach someone

I might drive up there early in the morning to meet you guys not sure if I am going to be able to camp out or not.
    Can someone possibly contact me with a cell phone number if you do not want to post it on this sight you can email me directly at jgg765@hotmail.com
    I know the directions are posted on the site and there might even be an official ride time but if I have a contact out there it would be great.
    Thanks,
    Jonathan.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo
    I'd like to do at least one day, maybe two. AZ Mikey, you going alone?
    I'm looking at going up on Saturday the 25th, and Ya_Hozna and I were talking about carpooling. Let's work something out.

Yup
    I'm in for Saturday.

Saucy Size
    I think we're at the threshold where a trailer makes sense. Anyone bringing a vehicle they'll let us use that has a receiver hitch on it? Or a trailer? Otherwise I'll need to get a rental lined up in town.

I need to check in again on the driver situation.

p.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Any 'non-hammerheads' going?

I was thinking of heading up from Tucson. I'm a bit slow (read into that what you want…). Anyone going who isn't hell-bent to get to the bottom, race to the top, race back down, but just enjoying the 'ride down the side' type riders?

I don't care to hold up the pack, and, as well, I would like to attempt to get some photos. That entails stopping, taking the shots, repacking the gear = slight delays. I've been here a few times and would clasify myself in the 'B' groups in speed of descent for these rides. If it isn't all 'A' riders, I think I could hang…

If anyone else is in the slow or 'kinda broken' mode and would like to traverse the mountain at a relaxed pace, I'm in!!!!!

I'm not sure about camping. If I'm not camping, I'd have room in the car for a couple riders and bikes/gear, help with gas/supply expenses.
    Last edited by C.J.; 11-21-2006 at 12:51 PM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    I was thinking of heading up from Tucson. I'm a bit slow (read into that what you want…). Anyone going who isn't hell-bent to get to the bottom, race to the top, race back down, but just enjoying the 'ride down the side' type riders?

I don't care to hold up the pack, and, as well, I would like to attempt to get some photos. That entails stopping, taking the shots, repacking the gear = slight delays. I've been here a few times and would clasify myself in the 'B' groups in speed of descent for these rides. If it isn't all 'A' riders, I think I could hang…

If anyone else is in the slow or 'kinda broken' mode and would like to traverse the mountain at a relaxed pace, I'm in!!!!!

I'm not sure about camping. If I'm not camping, I'd have room in the car for a couple riders and bikes/gear, help with gas/supply expenses.
    I have a friend whos coming along that would probably join ya. As for me I'm in the hell bent group.

Saucy Size
    I already discussed it with CJ in an email but I just wanted to post up again: THIS RIDE IS OPEN TO EVERYONE. But it might not be "for" everyone. By participating in this event, you acknowledge you are a complete and beautiful person, you can handle yourself on a ride, no warranties expressed or implied, caveat cyclor, etc.

Based on the RSVP list and the tally in my head, this feels like an even split of A and B riders, with the back end of the B group probably an hour away from the front end of the A group on any particular run (barring mechanical or medical issues).

p.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004
    I already discussed it with CJ in an email but I just wanted to post up again: THIS RIDE IS OPEN TO EVERYONE. But it might not be "for" everyone. By participating in this event, you acknowledge you are a complete and beautiful person, you can handle yourself on a ride, no warranties expressed or implied, caveat cyclor, etc.

Based on the RSVP list and the tally in my head, this feels like an even split of A and B riders, with the back end of the B group probably an hour away from the front end of the A group on any particular run (barring mechanical or medical issues).

p.

all right…I'm in…how can I help?

anyone camping? if there are a few, I'd join in and bring heaters.

No campers? caravan from Tucson?

Realistically, I keep up just fine in Globe and I am usually at the back of the hell-bent group (unless you are the 'borderline pro' hell bent), I tend to sweep…

It was stated by one of the guys in last year's Globe thread "not DH, XC pointed downhill with tech sections and exposure". I'm kinda working it to see if there will be photo subjects. I've been concentrating on wildlife for a bit and need to get more ( and current) riding shots.

I just like Globe!!!! It is way too much fun on many levels. It crosses all biking disciplines.

So again, I'll assist where I can. What's up?

If I'm sweeping, or taking pictures, am I really slow???????? (ego saver)
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Saucy Size
    We could use the following for the Globe weekend (not necessarily in response to CJ!):

1) Vehicles with 2" receiver hitches. I'm going to rent a U-Haul flatbed.

2) Packing blankets, armor, whatever to keep the bikes safe on the trailer.

3) Cash. Gas is expensive. Trailer isn't free. A dedicated driver needs $100 for the day (still working on this). Divvied up among 20 people, $10 apiece per day is not unreasonable. In fact it's a smoking deal for even one run down the best trails in Arizona.

4) Camping: Camp heaters, E-Z-Ups and tarps so we can build a warm little town. I have none of the above. No wait...I do have a tarp. Remember folks, 20F = effing cold.

5) Community food and drink. Please consider bringing enough stuff to share. Please bring coolers big enough to accomodate generous people who bring stuff to share.

6) Message board of some kind. Someone suggested we set up a little message kiosk at the staging area where we could leave notes. Killer idea. Anyone have a spare whiteboard and a couple markers? A chalkboard? Anything?

p.

swashbucklerette
    6) Message board of some kind. Someone suggested we set up a little message kiosk at the staging area where we could leave notes. Killer idea. Anyone have a spare whiteboard and a couple markers? A chalkboard? Anything?
    I've got a whiteboard and markers. And some Duraflame logs. Not to be used at the same time, of course.

Ouch, I am hot!
    If I can catch a ride going up Saturday and coming back that day, I think I am in. I will be blowing off a family event, but hell, they don't want to see me. Anyone got some room for me for just Saturday?
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    If I can catch a ride going up Saturday and coming back that day, I think I am in. I will be blowing off a family event, but hell, they don't want to see me. Anyone got some room for me for just Saturday?
    Possibly, I haven't heard from Bugaroo yet to see if he's going. brianc and I are going up for a full day Saturday. We could fit 4 in my truck.

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    How much are you folks jonesing for a pick me up truck with a uhaul compatible hitch?
    "...it feels like.....times have changed."
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

mtbr member

I'm still in....

I'm looking at going up on Saturday the 25th, and Ya_Hozna and I were talking about carpooling. Let's work something out.
    Mike, Give me a call 602-803-6733. Sorry for the slow reply, been working a lot.
    AKA: G-wat

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo
    Mike, Give me a call 602-803-6733. Sorry for the slow reply, been working a lot.
    I'll call you on Friday and we can work out the meeting time & place. Check your email, I'll send you my #

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Found a good link with a description of the trails. The elevation information is based on ascent. Six Shooter, Kellner, Icehouse and Squaw Springs are the primary trails.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recre...alking&index=0

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by akitadogg
    How much are you folks jonesing for a pick me up truck with a uhaul compatible hitch?
    Real, real bad. You coming? Can I count on your truck and hitch? I know we can get gas squared away (we will probably have to draw straws for a driver). Would you be camping, or riding both days?

Gitcher ass out to Globe, Carter! Hope you can make it -- you'd be a lifesaver (again).

p.

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB

yo pablo

My truck has volunteered for both days. I figure that can be her good deed for the holidays.

I loaned my double pogo out so whether I ride is dependent on retrieving it.

However you guys seem to want a shuttle driver and since I plan to bring the little doggie that may make me the perfect person to drive back and forth.

Maybe we could talk CJ into entertaining me with desert ecology talk which would turn this into an educational outing too.

I'll shoot you a pm with my evil cell numerals after I take a leak in the bushes.
    "Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

Saucy Size
    Okay, we got ourselves some dedicated drivers!

Please, if you're coming up this weekend bring $10 (or more) to give Carter and I to cover our expenses. It's extremely reasonable for the service you're getting.

p., headed up in about an hour.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    I do have room Geoff, are you in?

Saucy Size
    So at 4-something Saturday afternoon, it was already in the low 40s F at camp. By the time we had cooked a late lunch it was already nearly as cold as it had gotten the previous night, with probably 20 degrees to go before sunup. Without any Sunday RSVPs for shuttles this a.m., the campers decided to pack it in. Sure hope there wasn't anyone waiting at the staging area this morning!

Awesome showing of MTBRers and FRW refugees! I think I counted 17 riders? Despite another go-round with me trying to shear off my derailleur again (same trail, same location on the trail) on the Dawn Patrol and ongoing mechanical issues, it was a great day to ride. This was the first time I never actually rode Six Shooter, although all reports point toward clear conditions all the way down. Kellner (the DP ride) is in pretty good shape, with only a couple downed trees. Telephone Trail, my midday ride, was in moderately good shape but there were some blowdowns that broke up the flow. FYI for those thinking about going up before it snows.

Great meeting APB and Helimech and the rest of their crew, great to see CJ, Sundog, PirateGirl & Mr. PirateGirl, AZMikey, BrianC (hope you're feeling better!), AZDog...who am I forgetting? I know Papajohn was up there with friends but we never crossed paths. Many thanks to Akitadogg for running the shuttle service: nothing better than a dedicated driver for that monster of a mountain.

Hopefully we'll get some pix posted. As usual, it's way too fun to fly down the miles to stop and take pictures.

p.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Definitely a big thanks to Carter. Six Shooter was the cleanest I had seen it in my 3 trips up there over the years. Kavurider and I headed up early Saturday morning and like Paul said it seemed colder in the afternoon than it was in the morning. Good times once again hanging with the crew from Tucson. Good meeting Helimech and rest of his group. Paul thanks for setting up another memorable Globe trip! Can't wait til Spring.

mtbr member
    Had an awesome time, Six Shooter rocked.

Many thanks to all, it was great meeting everyone.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Kavu, your a gamer man. FOTP and Globe. That's a lot of damn riding! I think my hip got dislocated on the second ride up. but the company made it a tad more comfortable.

Drugstore Trailrider
    Awesome showing of MTBRers and FRW refugees! I think I counted 17 riders? Despite another go-round with me trying to shear off my derailleur again (same trail, same location on the trail) on the Dawn Patrol and ongoing mechanical issues, it was a great day to ride. This was the first time I never actually rode Six Shooter, although all reports point toward clear conditions all the way down. Kellner (the DP ride) is in pretty good shape, with only a couple downed trees. Telephone Trail, my midday ride, was in moderately good shape but there were some blowdowns that broke up the flow. FYI for those thinking about going up before it snows.

Great meeting APB and Helimech and the rest of their crew, great to see CJ, Sundog, PirateGirl & Mr. PirateGirl, AZMikey, BrianC (hope you're feeling better!), AZDog...who am I forgetting? I know Papajohn was up there with friends but we never crossed paths. Many thanks to Akitadogg for running the shuttle service: nothing better than a dedicated driver for that monster of a mountain.
    p.
    We have a small group with a very big truck (and a relative as a designated driver!) that has been making a regular thing out of the Globe ride the past year. Eight of us agreed with you that this was a perfect weekend to give it another try.

Since Paul introduced me to this area about three years ago, I have never ridden there in more perfect conditions. Just five weeks ago Six-Shooter Canyon was riddled with at least a dozen major stops for deadfall, and Icehouse Canyon had quite a number too.

Yesterday we rode Six-Shooter/Check Dam twice, and there was not a SINGLE stop for deadfall. The flow of the ride was better than I had ever personally experienced. I suppose thanks go to the Forest Service personnel.

We rode Icehouse/Check Dam once, and the deadfall was removed there too, but the carpet of fallen leaves hid many of the baby-head rocks that litter Icehouse, so it was beautiful but a rougher challenge than usual.

That was alot of riding, and though none of our group took any major hits, today I feel like I got hit by a truck. But it is oh so worth it!!!

Glad your crew had some good runs too...

Papa John
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Scott in Tucson
    Hopefully we'll get some pix posted. As usual, it's way too fun to fly down the miles to stop and take pictures.
    I hope somebody gets some pics up. I'm very eager to ride up there, and some pics might put me over the edge!

Paul, any thoughts on which trail(s) might be the most rideable (if at all) uphill? Any suggestions for a loop from bottom to top and back down?

Thanks in advance...
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    I hope somebody gets some pics up. I'm very eager to ride up there, and some pics might put me over the edge!

Paul, any thoughts on which trail(s) might be the most rideable (if at all) uphill? Any suggestions for a loop from bottom to top and back down?

Thanks in advance...
    Hey Scott,

Humping it uphill would be a real slog. I've spoken with people who attempted to climb Ice House Canyon and then descend Six Shooter, and it sucked. Hard. Some of the elevation changes are just outrageously steep. The most rideable up is probably Six Shooter, truth be told: It has only a few very steep sections, and those are mostly at the top. It's probably 70% rideable with a light, geared bike.

The loop I, personally, have ridden is the road to the top and Six Shooter (or Kellner, or Ice House, or whatever) back down. The road is a loooong slog -- 18 miles, +4500'. But I know you're into that sort of thing. It took a group of us about 4 hours to make the climb; fastest I've ever heard anyone doing it is just under 3.

p.

Scott in Tucson
    Humping it uphill would be a real slog. I've spoken with people who attempted to climb Ice House Canyon and then descend Six Shooter, and it sucked. Hard. Some of the elevation changes are just outrageously steep. The most rideable up is probably Six Shooter, truth be told: It has only a few very steep sections, and those are mostly at the top. It's probably 70% rideable with a light, geared bike.
    70%! That's well above my threshold. Well, not my current threshold, but if I get some strength back....

Thanks for the info. I'd much prefer to climb 1-track and walk than slog it out on the road. At least it's easy to say that until I've actually done it. I may try to get out there this weekend. There's some AZT trail building going on at Alamo Canyon on Saturday, and I'd like to see if what they've built so far can be used in the AZT 300.

I imagine the bottom ends of the trails are harder to find that the top ends. Is that true?
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    70%! That's well above my threshold. Well, not my current threshold, but if I get some strength back....

Thanks for the info. I'd much prefer to climb 1-track and walk than slog it out on the road. At least it's easy to say that until I've actually done it. I may try to get out there this weekend. There's some AZT trail building going on at Alamo Canyon on Saturday, and I'd like to see if what they've built so far can be used in the AZT 300.

I imagine the bottom ends of the trails are harder to find that the top ends. Is that true?
    Yeah, check it out for yourself. You're absolutely right that the bottoms are harder to find than the tops, but not by much. If you take Six Shooter Road to the end, it turns to dirt and then goes past a USFS sign. Just past that sign, on the right, you should be able to find a carsonite sign for the bottom of the Check Dam Trail.

The other "bottom" is the Ice House CCC Campground, more-or-less at the top of Ice House Road. From there you can pick up Ice House Trail headed up (ugh) or Six Shooter Trail headed up (less ugh, way longer but also shallower).

If you need a map, PM me and I'll hook you up with my latest.

p.

Unrepentant Cowboy SOB
    Actually it was rather frigid at the top......Had to read my Elmore Leonard by headlamp under a blanket.

Thanks to B. East for the pics...and to CJ for informing me that collared peccaries are the only rooting mammals indigenous to NA.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Times maybe. Not me."

South Mountain Bulimic

mtbr member
    Oh dude, I paid for it Sunday. My legs were so stiff.
    Epic, just epic.

Globe rocked!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Pre-stiff legs

Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Oh dude, I paid for it Sunday. My legs were so stiff.
    Epic, just epic.

Globe rocked!

6-Shooter

kavu.jpg

note to Akitadog: only "pig-like" rooting mammal…

did you find the cover tube for the bite valve on my pack?
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

I am Doctor Remulak
    Any more shots ready to upload?

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

A Few More…

…although not of the highest quality.

I only stopped in a couple areas. The ride wasn't for photos, but for 'the ride'.I don't like to post shots this poor, but with a dearth of Globe shots having been posted…

The shots are not a good representation of the actual percent of grade. They were simply spots to quickly stop, yank off the pack, grab the camera and point before everyone caught me. Better shots next time!

Big to the LowePro Dryzone Rover backpack.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

mtbr member
    Awesome! Thanks CJ!

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Nice pics CJ. I think you got my most valid shot of me riding. I think I should be heading down that way in about 2 weeks.

I have about a 30 minutes of helmet cam footage that I need to condense and edit.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.
    I only stopped in a couple areas. The ride wasn't for photos, but for 'the ride'.I don't like to post shots this poor, but with a dearth of Globe shots having been posted…
    Yeah, I didn't bring a camera, I just wanted to ride this time. We need to make an effort to get more Globe pics taken and posted.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

Blurred, but not forgotten!

My only 'solo AZ Mikey' shot was blurred. However, I didn't want you to suffer any psychological damage due to being the 'only one without a photo…"sniff……that CJ…heartless ba$tard…"

so,
    Last edited by C.J.; 11-29-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

I'm willing to head up for more!!!!!!

Yeah, I didn't bring a camera, I just wanted to ride this time. We need to make an effort to get more Globe pics taken and posted.
    I'll give it another try, with, hopefully, better results.

Pick a day…
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

One more of Brian (azdog)

Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Nice pics CJ. I think you got my most valid shot of me riding. I think I should be heading down that way in about 2 weeks.

I have about a 30 minutes of helmet cam footage that I need to condense and edit.

I'm up for that trip. I'll bring my stuff.

Here's one more of you on 6-Shooter
    CJ
    WOW Arizona!

Stray Bullet
    You guys going to do another shuttle fest in the spring?

Saucy Size
    Possibly a quick single-day shuttlefest mid-December, definitely once or twice next spring -- as soon as the snow has mostly melted. It's my favorite time to ride there.

p.

Members who have read this thread: 0