Globe Blowout!- Mtbr.com

Thread: Globe Blowout!

Saucy Size

Globe Blowout!

Howdy all,

Some of you may be getting this more than once. Sorry about that.

Weekend of April 17 and 18 will be a big honking Globe Blowout up on Pinal Mountain. Those of you who participated last year know all about this event -- trucks, trailers, shuttling, riding, camping, chaos, elevation gained, elevation lost, bloodshed, smiles, tears.

Last year's Globe weekend was the best two days of riding in my entire life.

I'm going up on the mountain Friday afternoon to claim a camp space. I'm thinking the top of Ice House again -- it's as high as you can get on the mountain, and close to Kellner for a dawn patrol race down to town. Ranger Dan tells me the mountain is beautiful and perfect, and most of the snow should be out of the canyons by mid-April.

Even if you can't camp, I strongly encourage you to make plans for this event. Come one day and squeeze in a couple shuttles. The shuttle schedule was very, well, "organic" and freeform, so pretty much any time you want to head up the mountain, there will probably be a truck filling up.

Staging area is the big lot at the corner of Six Shooter Canyon Road and Ice House/Kellner Canyon Road. Dinner at that Mexican place whose name I always forget -- the good one, not the Tex-Mex crapola place in Old Town.

Rough schedule:

Friday evening, 6ish, I'll be claiming our camp site.

Saturday morning, 7:30ish, blastoff from campsite down Kellner for the dawn patrol ride. You will weep with joy.

Saturday 8:30 a.m., begin staging the first shuttles. You healthy people on lightweight bikes should start pedaling up now -- it's 18 miles and 4500' of elevation gain out of the staging area.

Sunday morning: DITTO. Dawn patrol, stage rides.

By the end of Sunday, you will have done 4-6 runs down the mountain -- up to 100 miles of downhilling, up to 25,000' of elevation loss. You will be tired. Plan accordingly.

E me to RSVP.

E me if you want a map.

E me to tell me this weekend is a huge ecological disaster, or that I chose the wrong weekend, or that a no-skills poser like me shouldn't be on the mountain. It's all good.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Not sure if i can make it....but it sounds appealing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

caninus xerophilous

Hide the women and children!

The Hottentots are running amuck!

Or will be mid April.

What a bunch of shuttle monkies........having a good time.

Louis

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    The Hottentots are running amuck!

Or will be mid April.

What a bunch of shuttle monkies........having a good time.

Louis
    So are you in? Mark your calendar, bring Sandy, camp, make it a weekend.

Ook ook!

p.

MTBR Tool
    Tentatively in for 1 day - I would assume Saturday is the primo day?

Saucy Size

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    Tentatively in for 1 day - I would assume Saturday is the primo day?
    Excellent, glad you can make it. Saturday was huge last year (headcount of around 60) and we had group rides of all levels available.

Since I don't know you, this brings up a point I meant to make in the original invite: The Pinal Mountain trails are not easy. Some of them are outright hard, harder than anything you'll find on South Mountain (for example). They are remote. There is often a lot of exposure. You will not be quickly whisked off the mountain with a helicopter.

Also, the rides are quite long. Do not underestimate the fitness required to pound down a mountain for 3-4 hours at a time.

I don't say this to call you out of the crowd, Srexy. I'm saying it because some people showed up last year and the ride was way over their heads. Forget multiple shuttle runs -- they were happy just to get off the mountain at all.

Anyway, just a cautious FYI for anyone interested in this event.

p.

Steep Hill

1 RSVP for Saturday!

As we get closer to the date, I will see if I can make both days.
    Thanks, Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I'm in I think...

Have to check with the boss (wife) and see what we can workout. At the least I'll come for Saturday. I'll try and round up some of my bros to come as well.

MFC
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    Howdy all,

Some of you may be getting this more than once. Sorry about that.

Weekend of April 17 and 18 will be a big honking Globe Blowout up on Pinal Mountain. Those of you who participated last year know all about this event -- trucks, trailers, shuttling, riding, camping, chaos, elevation gained, elevation lost, bloodshed, smiles, tears.

Last year's Globe weekend was the best two days of riding in my entire life.

I'm going up on the mountain Friday afternoon to claim a camp space. I'm thinking the top of Ice House again -- it's as high as you can get on the mountain, and close to Kellner for a dawn patrol race down to town. Ranger Dan tells me the mountain is beautiful and perfect, and most of the snow should be out of the canyons by mid-April.

Even if you can't camp, I strongly encourage you to make plans for this event. Come one day and squeeze in a couple shuttles. The shuttle schedule was very, well, "organic" and freeform, so pretty much any time you want to head up the mountain, there will probably be a truck filling up.

Staging area is the big lot at the corner of Six Shooter Canyon Road and Ice House/Kellner Canyon Road. Dinner at that Mexican place whose name I always forget -- the good one, not the Tex-Mex crapola place in Old Town.

Rough schedule:

Friday evening, 6ish, I'll be claiming our camp site.

Saturday morning, 7:30ish, blastoff from campsite down Kellner for the dawn patrol ride. You will weep with joy.

Saturday 8:30 a.m., begin staging the first shuttles. You healthy people on lightweight bikes should start pedaling up now -- it's 18 miles and 4500' of elevation gain out of the staging area.

Sunday morning: DITTO. Dawn patrol, stage rides.

By the end of Sunday, you will have done 4-6 runs down the mountain -- up to 100 miles of downhilling, up to 25,000' of elevation loss. You will be tired. Plan accordingly.

E me to RSVP.

E me if you want a map.

E me to tell me this weekend is a huge ecological disaster, or that I chose the wrong weekend, or that a no-skills poser like me shouldn't be on the mountain. It's all good.

p.
    This sounds like enough fun to pull me out of retirement as a lurker on this board. I'm in if you have room for one more. I missed the spring fling due to bad timing on my frame upgrade, but I'm good to go now.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by MFC
    This sounds like enough fun to pull me out of retirement as a lurker on this board. I'm in if you have room for one more. I missed the spring fling due to bad timing on my frame upgrade, but I'm good to go now.
    Generally there's enough room at these things for as many people as want to come. If you have a problem riding in a group, I'd recommend against the event -- the groups are anywhere from 6 to 20 people big, and there will be 3-4 such groups doing their thing on the mountain that day.

I've got some good friends who WILL NOT come to my Globe gatherings because they're antisocial. I understand that, actually, but this is one of those times where you really are better off with more people. Things can go wrong, and it's better to have some help.

Bring armor if you've got it,

p.

I just got goth served!

Bump it to the top, Baby!

Doin' the Bump!

Oh, yeah!

brian
    insert witty comment here

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

back to the top

Getting pumped for this weekend!!!

Saucy Size

Final Update

Once more, apologies if you get this more than once.

Just got off the phone with my man Ranger Larry at the Globe Ranger Station. Great news! The snow's mostly melted off and the trails and campsites are in great shape. The rangers have cleared out MOST of the deadfall on Squaw Spring, East Mountain, and Six Shooter Trails. Woo-hoo! Some big wind storms blew through Pioneer Pass and created some new deadfall, and there were some huge monster trees they couldn't get rid of, but the mountain is mostly clear, mostly dry, and totally virginal for the season. We'll be the first ones.

Since this is going to be the final update, I'm going to be all organized and formal about this. If I haven't answered something to your satisfaction, e me privately

GETTING THERE
    Seriously, folks, you're going to have to do a little of your own homework. This is easy. Globe is either on the US60 out of Phoenix and the White Mountains, or the US77 out of Tucson. GET A STATE MAP. Jeez!

Admittedly finding Six Shooter Road in Globe is less easy. The best I can offer is that you is a direct link on Mapquest:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...submit=Get+Map

Zoom out and north as necessary. The address is for the Globe Ranger Station. If you're driving into town, keep your eyes peeled for green signs that say "Globe Ranger Station." You should be able to follow those pretty well and get onto Six Shooter Road. Actually it looks like you're on Pinal Road, which splits to become Six Shooter (to your left) and Ice House (to your right).

The staging area is at the corner of Six Shooter Road and Ice House Canyon Road, on the left side of the street (less than a mile north of the ranger station on the map). If you make it all the way to the ranger station, you've gone too far.

CARPOOLING
    Some people are needing/wanting to carpool. Go ahead and hit "reply all" to send out a general query to my list. I'm sure somebody has space in their vehicle. I know we have people coming in from Flag, Prescott, Phoenix, the White Mountains, and Tucson, so there should be some way to get to town.

CAMPING
    I am going up Friday afternoon, around 4 p.m., with Brian Cannon. I've heard about 6 other RSVPs for Friday night camping.

I AM CHANGING THE LOCATION OF THE CAMPSITE. Based on what Ranger Larry has told me, the big site at the Pinal Recreation Area is wide open and nobody has asked for it. So I'm claiming the whole thing for myself. The Rec Area has real bathrooms (pit, not running water), tables, etc. It's up the road another mile or so from Ice House Canyon trailhead, for those of you who know where we camped last year. It'll be extremely obvious, just drive up the road. Take a right at the split where Ferndell Spring splits off to the left. There's a big wooden sign, can't miss it.

Camping will probably be cool-to-cold at night. You will be camping above 7000'. Pack appropriately.

RIDE SCHEDULE
    We have two dedicated drivers for Saturday and Sunday. This will greatly lubricate the logistics of getting up the mountain. However, we may need to send non-returning vehicles to the top a few times, and send one vehicle up full of drivers at the end of the day.

Saturday 7:30 a.m. -- Dawn Patrol. Bombing out of camp down to Kellner Canyon Trail, zip down the mountain and meet the shuttles at the staging area around 8:45-9:00ish.

Saturday 9:00ish a.m. -- Round 1. Hopefully leave no later than 9:30, be at whatever trailhead you prefer and on your bike by 10:30ish. Rides are 3-5 hours long.

Saturday afternoon (2:00ish or later) -- Stage for Round 2. This was really fluid and organic last year, so pretty much leave for your next run whenever you can snag a truck. PLEASE do not leave the staging area without a fully loaded truck.

Saturday dinner -- Tradition has been to eat at that Chula's (I think that's the name). Decent, cheap Mexican. No booze. Heavier drinking will have to take place back at camp.

Sunday 7:30 a.m. -- Dawn Patrol! If we're feeling clever, we might drop down Squaw Spring, catch the road down to the top of Tollroad Trail, and then take Tollroad into town. No guarantees that ride can be done in 90 minutes, though (I believe it can, barring mechanicals).

Sunday 9:00ish a.m. -- Begin staging for Round 1 of the Sunday rides. This will be a lower-key ride, because most of you will be tired.

Sunday afternoon -- Ride + Trail Maintenance on Telephone Trail. Telephone needs work, and Ranger Larry has informed me the USFS's "don't ask/don't tell" policy does not prohibit us from bringing heavier equipment down with us. I would very VERY much like to clean up Telephone Trail Sunday afternoon. If we can rustle up some small, portable chainsaws, let's do so. I have no idea what's involved with bringing them down to the trail, but we don't have to ride all the way back into town with all that hardware -- we can get as far as the bottom of Ice House and pick up the equipment there. If anyone has any Pulaskis or McClouds or other ethnic tools, LMK and please bring them. This is our chance to pay back the mountain for all the fun she's given us.

LAST THOUGHTS
    * Bring armor if you own it.

* Give your drive a buck or two to help cover gas.

* It takes a village to hydrate a bunch of mountain bikers. Please consider bringing a six-pack of something caffeinated or alcoholic.

* Be prepared for cold weather at the top and warm/hot weather at the bottom.

* Pack your own lunch both days. You'll probably be eating at the bottom of the mountain, not at the top.

* Do not bring rank newbies on these rides. They will be injured, scared, or both.

Any questions? Ask away.

See y'all on Friday, and then I'll see all y'all on Saturday.

p.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

* Do not bring rank newbies on these rides. They will be injured, scared, or both.
    I wonder if I qualify for this statement???

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinturbo
    I wonder if I qualify for this statement???
    I don't know. Do you?

The reason I bring it up is because we had kind of a problem with this last year. Good friend of mine brought his newbie wife along for a ride -- but it was on the notoriously tough Ice House Canyon Trail. She was so scared she had trouble WALKING back up to the trailhead (she'd gotten about 1/2 mile down the ride). That made us lose an hour on the trail for her, because she didn't show up. Just fair warning.

p.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have no idea if I qualify for this statement. Are there any trails on SM, T100 or P & D that require the same abilities that this ride will? I have ridden T100, T8 and a bunch of the spurs that shoot off of those trails and National/Mormon loop at SM. I certainly dont want to spend the time and energy to be a pain in the ass to anyone. Srexy has ridden with me, so he would be able to best say if I was up to the task of this.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyinturbo
    I have no idea if I qualify for this statement. Are there any trails on SM, T100 or P & D that require the same abilities that this ride will? I have ridden T100, T8 and a bunch of the spurs that shoot off of those trails and National/Mormon loop at SM. I certainly dont want to spend the time and energy to be a pain in the ass to anyone. Srexy has ridden with me, so he would be able to best say if I was up to the task of this.
    The hardest parts of some trails up there are harder IMO than the hardest parts of the National. But these are all walkable; there's no do-or-die sections anywhere.

Two things to consider:

1) These are long rides. Way way longer than Mormon/National for example.

2) You are a long way away from medical assistance. Best estimate from my man Ranger Larry is 6-8 hours from incident to ER.

If you're not comfortable with either of these statements, well, then the ride's not for you. Otherwise you'll probably have a grand time.

p.

Living the Dream

What time are the Shuttles Starting Saturday?

PB--I'm coming up early Sat w/ 2 homies from Tucson. We are gonna stay all day Saturday. What are the must ride trails? Looking forward to riding with you & Silversurfer again.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    I just can't decide which bike to bring, or if to bring both the foes (trail) and the iron horse (DH).
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    PB--I'm coming up early Sat w/ 2 homies from Tucson. We are gonna stay all day Saturday. What are the must ride trails? Looking forward to riding with you & Silversurfer again.
    You MUST ride Ice House Canyon and Kellner Canyon Trails. Luckily Kellner is/can be fast, so you could squeeze it in even as a third ride. Six Shooter is a ton of fun as well...shoot, they're all great. Seriously, you can't go wrong. None of the trails will disappoint.

And I have real tubes back in my tires again, so I won't have to deal with tubeless weirdness.

See you Saturday!

p.

wowarizona.com
    Jan 2004

New question here. Fire Precautions!!!!!

"Red Flag Warning" for the area have been issued by the Forest Service, at this point. Winds to be 20-30 mph, humidity below 15%. There are advisories on the tube, down here in Tucson.

Just a heads-up, campfires might not be a good idea.

CJ

Saucy Size

Bummah!

Good heads-up, thanks for the warning. Too bad about the campfires. :-/ Ranger Larry said some wicked wind storms have taken down some new trees lately, too.

p.

Kathleen in AZ

don't forget tent stakes!!

Paul - Be looking for Juan and Scott and Elissa and I (and dogs) sometime this evening. We plan to stop for dinner in Globe and then head up the mtn. Should be a great weekend! Thanks for organizing.

Kathleen