It rains here. :(

Glendale Thunderbird Park

What's the story on this place, anyone?

Glendale says they got 20 miles of multi-use trails. I've become quite skeptical of the "multi-use" term. When dealing with city of Phoenix parks this means it's rideable. When dealing with the Maricopa Co. parks this means you'll be hiking as much as you are biking. Glendale's definition of the term is yet to be seen.

Any info would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2005

if you are close and not much time

It is overcrowded with hikers. There are tons of trails that weave around the mountain and about 3 that go up it they are a good short climb but because of hikers it isn't worth the hassle. If I am gonna try to hit this place up I attempt to go at an off time as to avoid the crowds.

Cookin' in AZ
    May 2005
    I agree it gets crowded with hikers. Thers are several trails throughout and it is a good ride if you go before it gets too busy. In the summer there are less hikers , probably due to the heat.

Rode a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jberg01
    I agree it gets crowded with hikers. Thers are several trails throughout and it is a good ride if you go before it gets too busy. In the summer there are less hikers , probably due to the heat.

Yup, it was crowded this morning. Of course, my late (7:45am) appearance probably didn't help. It just very hard to get up that early on a weekend.

The trail I rode was loose and had tons of baby and cat head rocks all over it. Somewhat of a tough trail, especially going up, but a blast coming down. All of it was rideable, and I'd say it was tougher than Desert Classic. I'll have to check out more when I get the time.

wheeeee!!!

It's my local.

I've been riding there about 4 years. There's not a ton of stuff, and there are definetly some rocky trails, but there's some nice switchbacks, and a heinous downhill in a few places.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Yup, it was crowded this morning. Of course, my late (7:45am) appearance probably didn't help. It just very hard to get up that early on a weekend.

The trail I rode was loose and had tons of baby and cat head rocks all over it. Somewhat of a tough trail, especially going up, but a blast coming down. All of it was rideable, and I'd say it was tougher than Desert Classic. I'll have to check out more when I get the time.

mtbr member
    Yep, it's a crowded place but I go with the wife in the late afternoon which isn't too bad. We get there in the summer about 630pm so there isn't too many hikers and that buys us about 45min to an hour. It gives me enough time to climb up and blast down a couple times. I like it b/c it's technical getting around some of those tall rocks.
    The taste of life is such to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by ShredER
    Yep, it's a crowded place but I go with the wife in the late afternoon which isn't too bad. We get there in the summer about 630pm so there isn't too many hikers and that buys us about 45min to an hour. It gives me enough time to climb up and blast down a couple times. I like it b/c it's technical getting around some of those tall rocks.
    Yeah this place was sort of a surprise to me, it was alot more difficult than I imagined. Looking at the hills around the area it looks pretty smooth, but once you get on the trail the rocks are a killer. Some of the step ups were tough, I managed to get my front tire up everytime but occassional I couldn't clear my pedals. I was actually lucky enough to ride down the hill north of the parking lot all the way to Pinnacle Peak without running into anyone. This was good because the trail is narrow and technical. I'll probably try to ride this one again soon, it's close to my house.

MEDIC! Man down!
    Mar 2005
    And there are alot of horses that tend to spook when you come balzin up on them, i hate trying to avoid the horses!
    My medical records are a Novel...

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGuy
    And there are alot of horses that tend to spook when you come balzin up on them, i hate trying to avoid the horses!

Yeah, you know I did see a bunch of horse remains out on that trail. Which is kinda odd, I didn't see many ranch houses/farms around. Unless some Glendale citizens are now putting horses in their 20x40 backyards.

It stil amazes me how horses get away with depositing poo all over the trail. Yet I remember seeing doggy poo stations!! Hello? What the?

Cookin' in AZ
    May 2005
    There are places to board horses on Pinnacle Peak RD. I guess they exercise them on the trails. I don't think the little bags you carry with you to pick up after your dog would work with a horse.

wheeeee!!!
    Well, for one there are stables and coral across the street at 67th, and there's a bunch of houses with enough room for horses right by the mountain. As for the poo issue, dog poo is carnivore poo, while horse poo is hay and oats.

(I can't believe I said poo that many times)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbrous
    Yeah, you know I did see a bunch of horse remains out on that trail. Which is kinda odd, I didn't see many ranch houses/farms around. Unless some Glendale citizens are now putting horses in their 20x40 backyards.

It stil amazes me how horses get away with depositing poo all over the trail. Yet I remember seeing doggy poo stations!! Hello? What the?

Quote Originally Posted by butocabra
    Well, for one there are stables and coral across the street at 67th, and there's a bunch of houses with enough room for horses right by the mountain. As for the poo issue, dog poo is carnivore poo, while horse poo is hay and oats.

(I can't believe I said poo that many times)

Hmm..so you're saying one type of poo is better than the other? Elephants don't eat meat either but if I had to choose to step in elephant shite or dog shite, I'd choose the dog shite.

Elephant shite would make the rocks on these trails the least of my concern.

(I can't believe we're still talking about poo/shite!)

XC Geek
    From the lot at Pinnacle Peak there's a trail that runs along the West side of the mountain all the way to 51st Ave, dumps out just North of the 101. You won't see any hikers from the ramada on.
    I should be doing something more productive with my time!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Steelhead
    From the lot at Pinnacle Peak there's a trail that runs along the West side of the mountain all the way to 51st Ave, dumps out just North of the 101. You won't see any hikers from the ramada on.

Looking at the map, I see your point. This would make a good out and back, most of the hikers are probably looking for a loop to do.