Giving AZ a visit- Mtbr.com
    Trail Junkie

Giving AZ a visit

Hey Guys, thought it would be reasonable to try to find some people that know the riding to maybe link up.

I will be leaving to Tucson on Sept 1 for 3 weeks for work, coming from Miami, FL. I am definitely bringing my bike, and want to find people to link up with for some riding, or maybe get some direction on where to go.

During the week while I am there I plan on doing local trails around Tuscon, and on the weekend road trip up to Sedona/Flagstaff or anywhere else that presents opportunity. I am completely welcome to meeting up for group rides. I am not looking for a place to bunk or anything...I can sleep in my rental for the weekend..but any offers will be paid in beer and food

So mostly I am looking for people to link up and ride with from MTBR. The type of riding I am looking for is technical single track with a minimal amount of fire road unless its "to and from" and I will be on my Tallboy so XC/Trail, lifts are cool if it doesn't require 8" of travel to get down. I was considering bringing my SS, but I don't have the cogs to run in the mountains..and its sort of in a rebuild process.

Anyways if you're interested in linking up for some rides (local in Tuscon) or Sedona/Flagstaff on the weekend I am game, and have a couple post ride beers!

Send me a message or post!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    check out tucsonmtb.com there are rides in tucson posted there

pedaller
    An early am South Mountain ride should also be on your to do list - National Trail for techie goodness.
    Last edited by Noelg; 08-30-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Trail Junkie
    Thanks Johnpate, I will look into it

@Noelg - This is in Pheonix right?
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sedona rocks, something like 200 trails around town. Great views. Prescott's good and many trails, too. Flagstaff is where we go when it's hot, great large and diverse trail system. Black Canyon trail is close to the freeway in places, sweet but hot. Mt Lemmon trails above Tucson also excellent.
    If you have lights consider bringing them, night rides, since you're working.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Sedona biking is part of why I moved here. Definitely some good trails and good people too. I'd be more than happy to ride if you're in the neighborhood on one of my days off. PM me if you want- I usually don't work Fri-Sun

Flagstaff, I have just discovered also has some great trails too, especially around Mt Eldon. I've heard great things about the Prescott area trails near the Granite Dells but haven't made it there yet.

Where ever you go, have fun!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

Trail Junkie
    Definitely. I am down for anything...There are 5 trail parks here in Miami area. The longest is 16mi. I have rode quite a lot of places but mostly east coast midwest and Europe. I will be coming setup for night riding too. I imagine with the heat many do that. People here are nuts (being a midwestern guy) riding mid-day with 97deg and 90% humidity. It does help to make a strong rider though..but there is only so much I can take.

My plan if it works out because I fly in Thurs to Tucson is to get situated..do my orientation on Friday and get out of town quickly. Im packing a sleeping bag just in case so if I end up crashing in the car..its cool...I just want to ride!
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

Elitest thrill junkie
    This time of year? Flagstaff, hands down. Prescott is in the 90s. Sedona is 100s, Phoenix 110s, Flagstaff is 80s and less when you start climbing up. Not to mention that Flagstaff has ample shade as well. Best (most varied, fun, climate, etc) riding in the state IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Trail Junkie
    Thanks for the tip!
    I am seriously looking for a break from the heat, and definitely looking for some climbing!
    Watched some footage on Lower Little Bear. It looks a lot like Tsali, NC. as far as trail characteristic.

Where ever this video is filmed at is the stuff I like. I love rocky, technical and cooler temps
    Flagstaff June 2011 - YouTube

Rocky Ridge looks fun!

I am kind of bummed about leaving my girlfriend at home...she's an absolute trooper and coming along as a rider..did 94mi. on her mtb 2 weekends ago. I could only do 66mi. since I had to go to work for 8hrs..she doesn't do that great when the trails go vertical though...haven't found her climbing legs yet, but that will come..she's only been riding for 6mo! Hoping to log some good miles on this trip, hopefully justify a new set of tires when I get back
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0