Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire, Give Me That Which I Desire...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Give Me Fuel, Give Me Fire, Give Me That Which I Desire...

I've found buying powdered Gatorade at wally world and mixing it myself is the most cost effective way for me to stay hydrated. Online I've read on other ideas from water/maple syrup/orange juice mixes to coconut water.--or just plain water.
    Besides alcoholic beverages, what do you guys drink to stay hydrated out there?
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Pre-ride amino energy by optimum nutrition. During..extra bottle with powerade zero. They were like .60 cents for the large bottle at wally.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

SCRUBDUNKER
    water for anything that's not a race or under three hours

carborocket or carborocket 333 for races and above three hours

mtbr member
    I cut my G2 gatorade by 50% with water.

Because I HATE DRINKING PLASTIC TASTING WATER.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Water for non-race and rides under a few hours too. I do take Endurolyte pills from Hammer before, during and some times after in the hotter months. I like those because I don't have to hassle with mixes, especially for rides that are not that long.

If I am mixing I use Scratch or Fluid, ideally something with a little caffeine. Both taste pretty good. Fluid is a little more cost effective as I cut it in half. I run it in my Camelback.

I have heard good things about CarboRocket, but have not tried it yet.

I am not a big fan or Gatorade or Powerade.

Coconut water has electrolytes, but not enough.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The powdered is decent, doesn't contain fructose. I just use water though. The fructose Gatorade always made me feel slower compared to water.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    the powerade for me is more to get rid of the cottonmouth on long rides vs hydration. I drink plenty of water but doesn't help that dryness.

mtbr member
    Skratch Labs for just about everything. Love that stuff.

mtbr member
    Am I allowed to suggest beer?
    AKA: G-wat

mtbr member
    I really like nuun tablets. You can get them with or without sugar, the tablet form is really convenient, and I like the bit of fizz they provide.
    Binary • Transition Bikes • Demon Dirt •

No Clue Crew
    Just water for me. In the summer I will occasionally have a one of those flat, refillable bottles with Gatorade for a mid ride drink. But, that's only if it's gonna be a long, hot ride. Like from Pima > BV. We'll stop at the waterfall and I'll have some of the Gatorade with a snack.

I'm sure it doesn't help but whatever... I can't even stay at a constant fitness level, let alone get better.

proceed with caution

EAS Hydrate

I usually stick to water unless I will be riding 2+ hours in higher temps (95+)

Seeing how it is summer, this will happen more often.

I like this product: EAS Hydrate

I like the way it tastes and has more electrolytes (potassium and sodium) than Gatorade or Skratch exercise and less sugar (21g versus 5g in EAS)

I can regulate my sugar outside of my hydration fluid.

The Gatorade powder though is a good value though and have used that in the past. For the same price you will get about 3x more servings than the EAS or the Skratch.

I usually carry this in a bottle and then water in my camelbak. Not a big fan of mixing any hydration powders in there since it makes it really hard to clean and gets gross after a while.

If I need extra on a ride, I bring per-portioned servings in a zip top bag and mix it again in my bottle with water from my pack.

my 2 cents...

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    We'll stop at the waterfall and I'll have some of the Gatorade with a snack.
    Is that the snack segment on Strava?

mtbr member
    I used to use gatorade, but after trying Hammer Heed I stuck with that for a long time. This year I tried EFS and really enjoy the less sweet taste. I tend to mix at least one bottle "hot" meaning I add double or triple the scoops and sip of that while drinking plain water from the other bottle or a pack. Most energy drinks when mixed that heavy get way to sweet or even syrupy/thick.

The difference I like vs. Gator/Powerades is the use of natural sugars instead of HFC, more electrolytes in the form of Potassium and other junk and the taste (lots lighter on a hot ride. The cost is worth it to me. If you are buying gato/powerade in the bottle its actually more expensive than higher end stuff. The powdered form while much less expensive than pre bottled, is as not cost effective when you have to add extra scoops to get the potassium of a high end drink. Calorie/carb wise- Heed was a great choice, but with EFS I supplement with gel for the kick.

Everyone has different tastes and biological makeup and tolerance. I am not a fan of sugar really, I enjoy the way I recover with cleaner energy use, and its working for me since I have had no heat stress issues in 25+ years of riding (17 with energy drinks).
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

sonoranbiker
    Dec 2006
    For shorter rides in hot weather I'm also a fan of Nuun. I don't want a bunch of sugar, just electrolytes.

For longer/all day rides I make my own concoction for calories/electrolyes. In a lg bike bottle I combine coconut water, a double shot of espresso, salt, maple syrup, cocoa powder, and some coconut milk. Gets me sugars, fats, electrolytes, and caffeine all in one bottle.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaroo View Post
    Am I allowed to suggest beer?
    Most definitely. Especially when riding a Beerduro.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Is that the snack segment on Strava?
    I keep that segment private so I'm ALWAYS KING!

mtbr member
    Coco Hydro | bigtreefarms
    sorry...resurrection an old thread...
    Found this at sprouts. Seems like a much superior product to Gatorade. It's about $10 on sale for about 12 servings. I've used it once and I really like it.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

mtbr member
    At double the cost of Gatorade, I'd hope. Gatorade gets bad mouthed a lot for 'inferior', but when I'm not grinding out a three hour ride, it's the perfect replacement for $2 worth of . I toss a G2 in the pannier for after my 30 minute ride to work, and grab another at home after laying down 1-1.5 hours of sweat. Cravings satisfied for 50*˘ body is alert and motivated, no mixing required.

Gatorade has a place, like everything else has a place. Use it wisely, save some money.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Gatorade gets a bad rap because of a lot of misinformation. The composition has been changed considerably over the last 5 years. As far as fructose goes, studies have shown that a mix of fructose/glucose increases absorption.

For MTB, I use straight water in the camelback and a small bottle of double strength gatorade to sip on. For the Road bike, Bottles with normal strength Gatorade, and refill with straight water at Circle-K's.

Since I ride almost everyday, Cost is a factor also.

mtbr member
    I use powder Gatorade from Walmart on most rides and save this for longer harder rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darth biker View Post
    I've found buying powdered Gatorade at wally world and mixing it myself is the most cost effective way for me to stay hydrated. Online I've read on other ideas from water/maple syrup/orange juice mixes to coconut water.--or just plain water.
    Besides alcoholic beverages, what do you guys drink to stay hydrated out there?
    pickle juice
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I find chewing gum really helps with the cotton mouth.

mtbr member
    If you have cotton mouth, it means you're dehydrated.

MEGALOMANIAC
    The hotter it gets and the longer the ride, the more important it is to start hydrating at least a day before the ride happens. This makes a huge difference.

During the ride, I have a bottle or two of Gatorade in the holders and a big res full of water.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I kind of think that unless you're an athlete who performs or competes at a very high level, worrying about stuff like intra-workout nutrition or being a weight weenie is usually a bunch of ballyhoo from people who need to spend more time in the saddle and less time on the internet.

That said, I drink water. I'm not gonna be out there long enough to get an electrolyte imbalance, and odds are, during the summer, neither are you.

mtbr member
    if you can, put 1 or 2 frozen 17 oz water bottles in your bladder... works for me.. been doing it for 3 years now..

mtbr member
    I used to fill the bladder up half way and freeze it. Then fill it up the rest of the way with water right before the ride. Works great. I've since stopped really caring if the water is cold, just that I have enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    IMO, cold water is the key to keep body temp in check in the blistering heat. Went hiking both Friday(113*) and Sat (111*) with no problems. Drinking small amounts frequently and splashing some on your skin works for me.

"Drinking cold water can help lower your temperature back to normal. This can be important in high heat or strong sun, when you risk heatstroke from strenuous exercise. In addition, cold water is absorbed more quickly into your body than warm water, helping you rehydrate more quickly, according to Columbia University."

Which Is Better, Drinking Ice Water or Warm Water? | LIVESTRONG.COM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    If you have cotton mouth, it means you're dehydrated.
    Or a singlespeeder
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Or a singlespeeder
    Pepsi and a box of Cheez-Its are the cure for singlespeeder cotton mouth.

mtbr member
    I've had very good luck using Elete electrolyte add-in drops to my water bladder. It is a very simple product no sugars to mess up your bladder/easy cleanup. Just a quick squirt in a 300 oz bladder does the trick, a 18 oz bottle last me better than 6 months and is less than $30. If I really need a electrolyte boost I will add it to gatorade.

http://www.amazon.com/Elete-Refill-E...te+electrolyte