Girvin Chubby?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Girvin Chubby?

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009

Girvin Chubby?

I was on craigslist and came accross a downhill fork, old school, called a Girvin Chubby...does anybody know anything about these forks?

Ar they pieces of junk or decent?
    I Like Dirt.

"Yabut"
    Well, I don't think I would call it a DH fork. Not by today's standards, anyway. Those things came out in the mid to late 90's, so it's pretty old. Maybe it would be a good collectors item.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

The Most Interesting Man
    Jul 2009
    HA YEAH! you saw the same ad!

I saw it for 25 and looked at it and thought, it doesnt look to much like a dh fork...
    I Like Dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah, about 10 years or so ago I knew someone who had a Girvin on a late 90's Pro-Flex. I wouldn't really call that a DH fork. I think it had about 5" of travel and elastomers instead of springs that would stiffen up when it got cold out. Probably can't run disc brakes. I would pass if you are looking for something decent, but for $25 you could beat the hell out of it and see how it holds up

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i remember the proflex 555,, their elastomers were completely open to the elements. kinda looked like the gel crap in a renuizit air freshner, except it probably didnt taste as good

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    OT I have an old Proflex that just sits in my garage. Any idea where I can get elastomers for it?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    maybe buy a bunch of tubes of denture cream and mash 'em together into a big cylindrical shape

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo
    OT I have an old Proflex that just sits in my garage. Any idea where I can get elastomers for it?
    Those could be hard to find. But if you found a shop that carries K2 bikes (which bought Proflex) maybe they could get some, somewhere.
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBike'sBroken
    Those could be hard to find. But if you found a shop that carries K2 bikes (which bought Proflex) maybe they could get some, somewhere.
    Unlikely, as even if someone had an old stock, those things rot. They don't hold up over the years.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Members who have read this thread: 0