Getting Started in Downhill- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Getting Started in Downhill

Ok. So Ive been biking since I was 6. I am now 14. From the age of 6 till 10, I did racing with ABA, from around age 10 till 13 I did a bit of freestyle, and now I mainly do Rural/Dirt Jumps. I am trying to Get more into Downhill. I don't have a good Downhill bike, and I have never been on any really good trails. sometimes I go find a trail, bike up it all day, stop and make a jump here and there, then bike down it at the end of the day. I am in Queen Creek Arizona. Does anyone know of any moderate downhill trails that still have some jumps anywhere near me? and in the way of a bike, who knows of a good bike thats under 600 bucks? Thanks!

Seth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringostr
    sometimes I go find a trail, bike up it all day, stop and make a jump here and there, then bike down it at the end of the day.
    Well, the first thing to point out is that if you're biking *up* a trail, then you're not a true downhiller.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Yes, I know that, Thats because I have no Car, no Good Bike, and No Good Trail locations. Thats Why Im asking you guys if you know of a good bike under 600 bucks and good trails around here.

mtbr member
    Yes, I know that, Thats because I have no Car, no Good Bike, and No Good Trail locations. Thats Why Im asking you guys if you know of a good bike under 600 bucks and good trails around here.
    There are lots of good trails around here (see above). (I won't comment on DH vs. AM vs. XC since it's all the same to me.) Regarding bike, for that price, you're likely going to have to get used. Try Craigslist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Well, the first thing to point out is that if you're biking *up* a trail, then you're not a true downhiller.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    I've got a solid bike I'm selling in your price range. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll tell you about it and send you some pics.
    Binary Transition Bikes Demon Dirt

mtbr member
    You can get some great deals on Craigslist that will get you started. Keep checking it daily. The closest trails to us here in Queen Creek are San Tan Mountains and Hawes. They're both XC trails but if you scout around there are some fun technical sections you can try out. Other than that, you gotta catch a lift over to SoMo. That place will keep you busy for years!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    @Ruppguts, I don't have the money yet, I'm Hoping to get a job at my Local Hobby shop soon, so when I get some money, I will PM You. Thanks.

@StrongBrown, Thanks, I will check out South mountain.

Seth

Swamp Thaang Groupie
    @Ruppguts, I don't have the money yet, I'm Hoping to get a job at my Local Hobby shop soon, so when I get some money, I will PM You. Thanks.

@StrongBrown, Thanks, I will check out South mountain.

Seth
    Right on Seth Welcome to the world of MTBR and Gravity Jonez... Just block Skinny Tits out he is roadie that just lurks on a MTB forum.

You may want to get two jobs Check the SoMo shuttle threads once you got all the gear!
    Good luck to you and your venture to the DH thaang.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks! yea, Money is a crazy thing for me right now. I also do Rc airplanes, and I've got over 4,000 just in planes, and another couple grand I'm goin to be savin up for for electronics in another. so yea, sucks lovin two things
    Thanks

SEth

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    also, what bike(s) and bike brands do you recommend?

Seth

dirt visionary
    Many of us have over 4000 in a single bike so really its going to depend on how you want to get into this?

You can find haro extream's all day long for 300-700. Perfect entry bike with entry componets.Also older bighits can be found for 500-800 another cheap but great entry bike . M1's for 700-900 good but old.

If you want something current you'll get a hardtail for the same price range.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Hmm I recomend my bike (Bighit) that is for sale. PM me when you get closer to purchasing for more details.

Spec, Giant, Marin, Transition, Kona, ect ect. They all make good bikes with various susp design. The best is open for debate.

Oh yeah diamond back makes a well spec'd out bike for a decent price
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

poser Administrator
    i am not sure what is going on the Phoenix but there may be a team, perhaps a youth oriented team you can join as well, where they get deals, set up race trips and train together which is a great way to get out there get the appropriate safety gear and learn the ropes.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Spec, Giant, Marin, Transition, Kona, ect ect. They all make good bikes with various susp design. The best is open for debate.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but since he's wanting a downhill bike that means he can MAYBE pay less attention to the suspension design, right? I mean, most of the differing suspensions (VPP, FSR, Horst, etc.) are all designed to make it easier or more efficient to PEDAL uphill. DH bikes aren't chosen for their pedalability. They all work about as well as the next for bombing down, right? Provided the shocks are both

When I was searching for my new bike I wanted something right in the middle: capable of tackling tougher trails but still easily pedalable in order to get to the tougher trails. So, I wanted a good suspension and I wanted the newest suspension I could afford.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    Correct me if I'm wrong but since he's wanting a downhill bike that means he can MAYBE pay less attention to the suspension design, right? I mean, most of the differing suspensions (VPP, FSR, Horst, etc.) are all designed to make it easier or more efficient to PEDAL uphill. DH bikes aren't chosen for their pedalability. They all work about as well as the next for bombing down, right? Provided the shocks are both

When I was searching for my new bike I wanted something right in the middle: capable of tackling tougher trails but still easily pedalable in order to get to the tougher trails. So, I wanted a good suspension and I wanted the newest suspension I could afford.
    You got a new bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Whats the advantages of the full susp. over hardtail? I mean.... I know softer landings on jumps/drops.... but would it be easy enough to do with a hardtail?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    my old '91 Haro extreme HT is still hanging from the garage ceiling at my parents' house.. was my HS graduation present. it had full 7spd LX on it. wonder if i should try to rebuild it.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Sell your RC planes and get a Canfield Jedi. All the cool kids are doing it. but seriously look for an ole big hit or something you can thrash until you build up some more hours on the mountain. I went from a big hit, to a stinky, to a demo. Each bike had their time and place.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Haha, No. The planes stay. I am pretty confident I can get something on craigslist or around here for under 600. I just gotto get the money first. after I get the bike, I can start switching out parts once I get the money.

Seth

Shred...it's the new drug
    Whats the advantages of the full susp. over hardtail? I mean.... I know softer landings on jumps/drops.... but would it be easy enough to do with a hardtail?
    I would get a budget hard tail to save some cash and build some experience on mountain trails and then save some cash for a real fully suspension bike. Before you get out and ride/race gnar you need hours and hours and hundreds of miles on that hardtail to build experience and skills on the trail then when you get a fully you'll be stoked and ready to shred. Try the Hawes trail system, or Usery pass and then up and over Pass Mountain, conquer those and you'll be ready to rock the big stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Oh yeah... ?

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I would get a budget hard tail to save some cash and build some experience on mountain trails and then save some cash for a real fully suspension bike. Before you get out and ride/race gnar you need hours and hours and hundreds of miles on that hardtail to build experience and skills on the trail then when you get a fully you'll be stoked and ready to shred. Try the Hawes trail system, or Usery pass and then up and over Pass Mountain, conquer those and you'll be ready to rock the big stuff.
    Hey bob-o don't mean to sound mean but I think this kid can hold his own once on the trail. Being he has raced in aba hes gotta have some sick speed skills and can pump with the best of them out there. Plus @ 14 his reflex is way better than us old farts.

Back on topic, depending how you approach new-ish sports with ballz out or with caution. My suggestion is save your dough get a big full squish and skip the hardtail. Apply all your knowledge of riding to the trail and you should do fine and adjust accordingly to keep the rubber side down! Haha good luck little buddy
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    You can pedal downhill too ya know...
    But seriously, I ride a Demo and it feels like the FSR is slower in the first part of the stroke vs the last. It feels like it ramps faster on smaller jumps... or a stiffer feel. But when the suspension is under load (bigger hits or rock gardens) it feels plusher... it can arguably help with racing efficiency or AM riding.
    When I ride a VPP, DW or SP it feels like its the same suspension tension from the beginning to the end... Its a bit more predictable IMO and might be good for a first bike if you can afford it.
    The Single Pivots(SP) will not have brake modulation unless you get one with a floating brake arm. What this means is that if you're braking in rock gardens your back end will be all over the place.

Hardtails, obviously, will rely on your legs. You can take a hardtail anywhere you can take a full squish (there are exceptions... Like Mikee's huge gaps). Most people would suggest this as a first bike since you can actually feel and control the bikes movement a little better... it will just make your back hurt a little more hucking it big.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    Oh yeah... ?
    yep....it's a known fact that downhillers don't like to ride their bikes up hill. If you dont' believe me, Wikipedia it.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo
    You can pedal downhill too ya know...
    But seriously, I ride a Demo and it feels like the FSR is slower in the first part of the stroke vs the last. It feels like it ramps faster on smaller jumps... or a stiffer feel. But when the suspension is under load (bigger hits or rock gardens) it feels plusher... it can arguably help with racing efficiency or AM riding.
    When I ride a VPP, DW or SP it feels like its the same suspension tension from the beginning to the end... Its a bit more predictable IMO and might be good for a first bike if you can afford it.
    The Single Pivots(SP) will not have brake modulation unless you get one with a floating brake arm. What this means is that if you're braking in rock gardens your back end will be all over the place
    Good info to keep in mind...

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Hey bob-o don't mean to sound mean but I think this kid can hold his own once on the trail. Being he has raced in aba hes gotta have some sick speed skills and can pump with the best of them out there. Plus @ 14 his reflex is way better than us old farts.

Back on topic, depending how you approach new-ish sports with ballz out or with caution. My suggestion is save your dough get a big full squish and skip the hardtail. Apply all your knowledge of riding to the trail and you should do fine and adjust accordingly to keep the rubber side down! Haha good luck little buddy
    Riding a hardtail will make you faster and smoother when you actually get on a big bike...you gotta try it Doo, then maybe you won't pass out on those uphills on somo

If you're looking to save cash and rip, get a Dirt Jump HT off of craigslist and go and ride trails. Then save cash or sell stuff to get that full on DH rig and then come and rip with the big boys...or in doo's case...big braddah's

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0