Generalizing S. AZ trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Generalizing S. AZ trails?

If you could make a HUGE generalization, what would you catagorize southern Arizona as? Such as XC, AM, FR-DH.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cactus.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll add "Dirt." before some one waste a post on that as well as "Rocks." and "Sun." while we're at it.

Saucy Size
    Impossible to answer. Lots of everything here.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbluth
    If you could make a HUGE generalization...
    You can't...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Alright then, bad question, I was just trying to stay away from the over used "WHICH BIKE" question and determine my next bike by the terrain I'll be riding. Currently I ride all over the 50 year trail, but I like drops and hucking (another word for ramping? or catapulting?)myself off any bump or rock that is elavated more than the track, but nothing huge. Kk, well thx for the attempts at helping anyways.
    Last edited by Jbluth; 11-08-2006 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Never ridden the 50 year trail. It sounds like you would rather have too much travel rather than too little. I would suggest a long travel trail bike such as a Titus Supermoto, an Intense 6.6. Or if your looking for a more XC mount, maybe a yeti 575

Too hot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, I would love to check out a titus, intense or yeti someday but being only 18 and going to school full time, it would take me about 7 months to be able to afford a bike like that, not only that but not a very smart buy either. Well i think i got it solved anyways, im looking at Stumpjumpers HT or FSR used. I think that bike will be suitable for most types of terrain, im not looking to do any hard-core FR or DH so seems good. Thank You for your input though Nick.

Saucy Size
    The short end of "all mountain" is a very, very popular meat-and-potatoes type of bike you can use throughout most of the state. If I could only own one bike and I had a very limited (i.e. 18 year old's) budget I'd take a long, hard look at a low-to-midrange Iron Horse -- if you can scrape together $1200 or so you can get one with disc brakes and decent suspension. It won't be light but it'll be tough and (relatively) cheap.

It's not a cheap sport up-front but it beats paying for greens fees or lift tickets or hay in the long run.

Looking at used is a good idea as well, as long as someone with more experience than you can give the bike a thorough going-over. You'll want to inspect the frame and rims for cracks, bent hanger or spokes, gouges on handlebars and cranks, a full range of motion in the shifters and derailleurs. Since everything but the frame is replaceable, focus on the frame primarily.

p.

mtbr member

Which bike...

Bikes that fall into the "All Mountain" class actually work EVERYWHERE -- not just
    Southern AZ.

It's a good thing that you're in school. That means you know how to do research to answer all
    your own questions.

But, I'll get you started by pointing you in the right direction:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/allmtn_full_suspension/

After making a list of possible choices that fit your constraints and desires, do look for a
    deal on a used bike.

BTW - obviously, even a frame is replaceable.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Yeah, I would love to check out a titus, intense or yeti someday but being only 18 and going to school full time, it would take me about 7 months to be able to afford a bike like that, not only that but not a very smart buy either.
    You, my friend, need a rigid singlespeed. Upgrade a Redline Monocog with discs right off the bat, and you're looking at $700. Pick up a used 1x1 for even less. Way cheaper than any of that suspension crap, and if you're 18 and psyched inside a couple months you'll be fit enough to ride it on most anything. Save money for beer at college, much better spent.

caninus xerophilous

Look no further!

I ride all over the 50 year old trail, but I like drops and hucking (another word for ramping? or catapulting?)myself off any bump or rock that is elavated more than the track, but nothing huge..
    The 50 Year/Golder Ranch has exactly what you seek in massive quantity, and as one who actually resides and rides in TUCSON, I would know. For starters, take your time and find the alternate "B" lines on the "High 50" and Deer Camp Loop.

I say any mountainbike that you can ride how like, afford, and maintain will work. I'll also add that whatever works out Golder way will work well on most S.AZ trails just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thx for the info Sundog. I try not to wander from the signs due the backtracking i've done there. My first trip to the 50 year trail I started at the Equestarian center and ended up going through the Chutes and back to Golder Ranch Road, took my friend and I rougly 4 hours which was somewhat miserable because it was our first Mtb xp, but we're both pretty fit people so we managed it. I noticed a little trail off to the right of the main trail after the chutes area and my friends and I we're contemplating going down there but my buddy was intimidated by the tree-stump that was penetrating the groud. Does that description seem familiar? Looks like it goes downhill a bit as well.
    Last edited by Jbluth; 11-08-2006 at 01:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    im looking at Stumpjumpers HT or FSR used. I think that bike will be suitable for most types of terrain.
    Yeah dude, I ride a Stumpjumper FSR and it works absolutley perfect. I would get the FSR, but thats cause I'm not good/smooth enough to ride a rigid SS around here

mtbr member
    Thx for the info Sundog. I try not to wander from the signs due the backtracking i've done there. My first trip to the 50 year old trail [snip]

It's the 50 Year Trail. Not the "50 year old trail".

The history, as I understand, is that this trail was established with a 50 year "life", at
    which point, the plan is to close it.

Corrections in 5...
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    fixed, my bad.Dont know where i picked up that one.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    You, my friend, need a rigid singlespeed. Upgrade a Redline Monocog with discs right off the bat, and you're looking at $700. Pick up a used 1x1 for even less. Way cheaper than any of that suspension crap, and if you're 18 and psyched inside a couple months you'll be fit enough to ride it on most anything. Save money for beer at college, much better spent.
    That's so crazy it might just work! I can't imagine the skill base an 18yo armed with a rigid SS would pick up in the first dozen years -- you know, the years when riding rigid don't hurt so much.

Absolutely true on the price thing too. I think you can get a nicely stocked rigid Unit (maybe even a 29er, maybe even with discs!) for well less than a grand.

p.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B
    That's so crazy it might just work!
    Dammit, that's my line!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Dammit, that's my line!
    Schtick infringement; yellow card to Paul B's team.

p.

caninus xerophilous
    That offshoot of the chutes is called roller coaster, its a couple of hundred yards of fun trail, but you will have ride back up.

When you get the "Lower 50" and Chutes down check out Deer Camp. Keep an eye out for some jumps on the 50 and Deer Camp. They are rocks and boulders that make natural ramps and drops that are right off/on the trail and they will put you right back onto the trail. Some are small and some are big.

Have fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0