geax saguaro.- Mtbr.com

Thread: geax saguaro.

mtbr member

geax saguaro.

is it a good tyre for riding in the Sonoran desert, as the name would suggest?
    Hey Ma! Look at this laceration.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Great tire for the desert. I use them on both front and rear. Fast rolling and work well set up tubeless on Stan's rims ( just don't use the TNT tires on Stan's rims). I use 22 psi up front and 24 in the back.

Give it a crank
    I know a few riders who swear by them, they just pay somebody to mount them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I know a few riders who swear by them, they just pay somebody to mount them.
    for a tubeless set up or are the beads that stiff?

Give it a crank
    Yep, tubeless. The beads are just tighter than other tires, once they're on though, they're grippy like a gecko.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    I know a few riders who swear by them,,, they just pay somebody to mount them.
    the tires,, or the riders?

live long and huck
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    the tires,, or the riders?
    Let the LBS guy mount you, get your tires installed for free.
    Low and slack.

banned
    Jun 2007
    ^^^ You must be from cattle country.
    The rest of us use the regular non- Tnt Saguaro tubeless on a Stans rim, and love that they're durable, fast and high volume.

mtbr member
    I've about worn through a set and plan to replace with Saguaro's again. I've really been pleased with Geax

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I've run Saguaros in the rear and really liked it. I had it set up ghetto tubeless and can't say I had much trouble with it. It just wore a bit fast, was the worst part. Things ain't cheap though - that's why I'm back on the Exiwolf, which I don't like as much.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Interesting - the guy at my LBS just reccomended these to me. I've been looking for a durable tubeless set up. I'm not full on DH, but definately enjoy the "chunky/tech" desert stuff way more than XC. For those that are riding the Saguaro's, are you running front and rear? Sidewalls holding up? Thx.
    Sola Fide

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Quote Originally Posted by Mindless Mayhem View Post
    Interesting - the guy at my LBS just reccomended these to me. I've been looking for a durable tubeless set up. I'm not full on DH, but definately enjoy the "chunky/tech" desert stuff way more than XC. For those that are riding the Saguaro's, are you running front and rear? Sidewalls holding up? Thx.
    I ran mine rear only, Rampage up front. Never had sidewall issues. It did lots of National, PMP and AZT time and held up well. Fast and grippy. I like that.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I had the UST version on the front. I'll admit it was heavier, but it looked almost new when I sold that bike. I only added Stan's to it one time in the 2 and 1/2 years I used it. I ran it around 25 pound give or take, and it was as good as a shock on my rigid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I run them front/back. Great all arounder for value/weight/traction. I'm 205 loaded and have had a few center tread punctures. In fairness though, I've had these same punctures on racing ralphs too. Check out bikes direct.com for some good prices on the Suguaro. I'm also going to try the Geax Gato and see hoe that works out. J

New Guy
    Jun 2011
    I like my Saguaro on the rear. Tire, that is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Saguaro TNT worked great for me (good initial grip, no sidewall tears, ran great with Stan's) but did seem to wear quickly.

EXORCIZE
    Due to weight/rolling resistance, I just replaced a Rampage in front with a non-TNT Saguaro 29 and have done one ride - I'm not sure its going to stay unless I become more confident with it. It looks more like a rear tire to me. Mine went on a Flow rim with hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Due to weight/rolling resistance, I just replaced a Rampage in front with a non-TNT Saguaro 29 and have done one ride - I'm not sure its going to stay unless I become more confident with it. It looks more like a rear tire to me. Mine went on a Flow rim with hands.
    I just swapped out a Small Block for the non-TNT on the back. It definitely feels a but more burley, which I'm not sure I like. It's much wider than the Small Block, and I can feel the drag as a rear tire. It does seems to dig in the the dirt.

I too was able to mount on a Stans rim just using my hands. No issues there, and it's holding air like a champ. (Note to self, bring extra air tomorrow.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I have been running the USTs front and back for almost a year. I'm about due for replacements but can't find the UST version. I would definitely recommend the UST or TNT for desert riding. I have not had a sidewall issue to date. I really like these tires.

Closekids.com
    Had a Saguaro out front and AKA on the rear since last summer. Ridden all over town plus Sedona and haven't had a problem tubeless at all.

Might not be able to take every corner at max speed, but it is the rider more than the tires. They are great and have held up well.

Guess I'll put a gash in them this weekend now that I said something.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I just swapped out a Small Block for the non-TNT on the back. It definitely feels a but more burley, which I'm not sure I like. It's much wider than the Small Block, and I can feel the drag as a rear tire. It does seems to dig in the the dirt.
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXO is very fast and has great climbing traction. It's my favorite rear tire (versus Aspen, Exiwolf, CrossMark, Ignitor, Rampage, Nano, Ardent 2.25, Resolution). But pricey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1 View Post
    Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXO is very fast and has great climbing traction.
    Somebody who will not be identified, but who's initials are WhiskersOfDeath, was suppose to get me one of those at a discount...

Fragile - must be Italian
    To answer the OP's question...NO.

Saguaro's suck up front in loose over hardpack...which is 90% of Phoenix trails.

They are great in the rear...for about 4 rides. Then they start to wear pretty badly. And eventually you *will* tear a sidewall...even on mellow trails.

I tried to like the Saguaro's for the past 3 years. I really did. I must have gone through 10 Saguaros before I finally threw in the towel and gave up on them. I tried the regular version and TNT...and they both let me down many times.

On the positive side, the Saguaro's do mount up great on Stans wheels. If you get the TNT version, prepare to muscle the tire on, though.

And Saguaros do roll fast...which is what attracted me to them in the first place. But in the end, a fast rolling tire means nothing if it has too many other weaknesses...which the Saguaro does.

It is a great tire for Flagstaff...just not the desert.

IMHO there are much better options out there for our harsh terrain.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi View Post
    To answer the OP's question...NO.

Saguaro's suck up front in loose over hardpack...which is 90% of Phx eventually you *will* tear a sidewall...even on mellow trails.///////////////////////////////////////

(so what front tire do you prefer??)
    i am running an aka which has a tendoncy to push when used up front
    thanx

It is a great tire for Flagstaff...just not the desert.

IMHO there are much better options out there for our harsh terrain.

Thx...Doug
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Guided by Voices
    +1 for the Maxxis Ikon 2.2 EXO as a rear tire. I ran SB8s for a few years and find the Ikon to roll better, have similar traction, and hold up much better. No sidewall tears yet...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Dgangi is right on the money . . . Good for about four rides and then lose traction. Very much prefer the AKA . .. As for the Gato, 2.3? Uh more like 2.1. Going to try the Specialized purgatory next. Or the Bontrager 29-4.

Need more cowbell
    Somebody who will not be identified, but who's initials are WhiskersOfDeath, was suppose to get me one of those at a discount...

Closekids.com
    AKA is the exact same tread pattern...

I use both... AKA out back and Saguaro in front and have had no problems. Tires are really a matter of preference and one person's riding styles and tire preferences are meaningless (nearly) to someone else's.

If you like the looks of any tire and it meets your needs, give it a whirl.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run the TNT version on the back of my SS 29er. In that application, as a rear only, I really, really like it. I wouldn't run it on my bigger travel bikes or something that sees a lot of chunk.

Back to my initial comment about the Saguaro sucking up front...it's a round profile tire with teeny-weeny shoulder knobs. The fact that it sucks in loose over hardpack should come as no surprise. There is nothing to dig in whatsoever, even if you roll the bike over. It *will* wash out on you on most of our trails. Anybody who says otherwise has no idea about physics, as it's flat out impossible to make a tire with small knobs dig into loose terrain.

The same can be said for the Kenda Small-Block 8, WTB Nanorapter...and any tire with similar construction. Round profile, small knobs = suck big time in loose over hardpack. These types of tires are great on hardpack and provide little rolling resistance (which is their primary benefit), but that's about it.

If you're running a 29'er, I think a MUCH better tire is the WTB Bronson 2.2. I wrote a review about it on this board a few months ago and I still stand by it. For a general purpose front tire, I have yet to find something better as a general XC/AM tire.

For the rear, I've switched to WTB Exiwolf 2.3. The Saguaro is still my all-time favorite XC back tire when it's new...but I just couldn't stand replacing it every 2-3 months. The Exiwolf gives pretty good traction, and it continues to do so even as it wears down.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Back to my initial comment about the Saguaro sucking up front...it's a round profile tire with teeny-weeny shoulder knobs. The fact that it sucks in loose over hardpack should come as no surprise. There is nothing to dig in whatsoever, even if you roll the bike over. It *will* wash out on you on most of our trails. Anybody who says otherwise has no idea about physics, as it's flat out impossible to make a tire with small knobs dig into loose terrain.

The same can be said for the Kenda Small-Block 8, WTB Nanorapter...and any tire with similar construction. Round profile, small knobs = suck big time in loose over hardpack. These types of tires are great on hardpack and provide little rolling resistance (which is their primary benefit), but that's about it.

If you're running a 29'er, I think a MUCH better tire is the WTB Bronson 2.2. I wrote a review about it on this board a few months ago and I still stand by it. For a general purpose front tire, I have yet to find something better as a general XC/AM tire.

For the rear, I've switched to WTB Exiwolf 2.3. The Saguaro is still my all-time favorite XC back tire when it's new...but I just couldn't stand replacing it every 2-3 months. The Exiwolf gives pretty good traction, and it continues to do so even as it wears down.

Thx...Doug
    I just put a Bronson on the rear this a.m. (had to rush to swap out a flat tire--a Saguaro actually ) and the Bronson was the only one I had) and holy ****, that think weighs a ton. And I seemed to feel every rock.

Ironically, I think 2 of the 3 folks I rode with this a.m. were running Saguaro, and we certainty did not ride hard packed trails. I, currently, am running a Python on the front (similar profile to the Saguaro), and have had zero issues with it. No way am I throwing on the other Bronson I have....just yet.

I just put a Bronson on the rear this a.m. (had to rush to swap out a flat tire--a Saguaro actually ) and the Bronson was the only one I had) and holy ****, that think weighs a ton. And I seemed to feel every rock.

Ironically, I think 2 of the 3 folks I rode with this a.m. were running Saguaro, and we certainty did not ride hard packed trails. I, currently, am running a Python on the front (similar profile to the Saguaro), and have had zero issues with it. No way am I throwing on the other Bronson I have....just yet.
    Jeff...it's all in your head. The Saguaro TNT weighs 700g (non-TNT version is 650g). The WTB Bronson 2.2 is claimed at 700g, although most reviews put it at 700-725g.

If you can truly feel any real-world weight differences between these tires, then you're amazing.

(Frankly, I never could figure out why the Saguaro was a 700g tire...because the construction is pretty minimal)

Plus if you mount the Bronson tubeless, then it likes to be run at 26-28psi...just like the Saguaro. I'm not sure how you can feel every rock at that PSI. Maybe in your rush you over inflated the tire?

I still stand by my assertion that the Saguaros are too fragile for aggressive riding in Phoenix terrain and that better options exist.

Now for mamby-pamby riders like you, I'm sure they do just fine.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Now for mamby-pamby riders like you, I'm sure they do just fine.

Thx...Doug
    How dare you....

Okay, I mounted the Bronson on the front (the Python was on its last leg anyway). If I have a shitty ride tomorrow, I'm blaming you.

(Perhaps the feeling of weighing a ton had something to do with the 4 hours of sleep and 8 beers I had last night.)

live long and huck
    How dare you....

Okay, I mounted the Bronson on the front (the Python was on its last leg anyway). If I have a shitty ride tomorrow, I'm blaming you.

(Perhaps the feeling of weighing a ton had something to do with the 4 hours of sleep and 8 beers I had last night.)
    Just pulled my Bronson off the front, the side knobs are to soft for my liking, it always feels like it's washing out. Eskar is my front of choice.
    Low and slack.

EXORCIZE
    If you're running a 29'er, I think a MUCH better tire is the WTB Bronson 2.2. I wrote a review about it on this board a few months ago and I still stand by it.
    I just ordered one and will give it a try. The tread pattern looks slower rolling than the Saguaro but it's got more aggressive side knobs (a must for the front), so worth a try. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm interested to hear how that works out for you. I put a Bronson on the rear a couple of months ago based on someone's recommendation on MTBR. DIdn't much like it from the start and don't plan to use it again. In the beginning it was "squirmy". I think the tall, soft knobs were responsible for that. Now that the knobs have worn down it doesn't squirm around any more. Grip was pretty good, but still not the singlespeed nirvana that I'm looking for. So far, the best rear SS tire I've found is a Weirwolf, run backwards - but talk about slow rolling.

Oh, and Saguaro - had two of them. Totally unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    I'm interested to hear how that works out for you. I put a Bronson on the rear a couple of months ago based on someone's recommendation on MTBR. DIdn't much like it from the start and don't plan to use it again. In the beginning it was "squirmy". I think the tall, soft knobs were responsible for that. Now that the knobs have worn down it doesn't squirm around any more. Grip was pretty good, but still not the singlespeed nirvana that I'm looking for. So far, the best rear SS tire I've found is a Weirwolf, run backwards - but talk about slow rolling.

I don't understand why anybody would use a Bronson on the rear. Based on the tread pattern and the square-ish profile, I would call it a front-only tire...and in that application I think it excels.

Have you tried an Exiwolf 2.3 on the rear? I use that on both my SS and FS XC bikes and it's been my favorite rear tire for about a year: the grip is great, the tire rolls fast, and the durability has proven to be excellent. The Exi is a bit heavy, but I don't care about weight as much as I used to. (FWIW - the Exi sucks balls on the front)

So my go-to setup is now Bronson up front...Exi in the rear...and I am very pleased with the results. This combo can tackle anything from traditional XC to moderate AM use, loose-over-hardpack to rocky terrain, without feeling like you are pulling a boat anchor around.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post

WaW
    Swapping it out for the patched Small Block today. I have two rides on it as a rear, and I'm not a fan. I seem to feel every damn bump. The only reason I mounted it is I had to quickly swap out my tire Saturday a.m., and the Bronson was the only tire I had at the time.

I put the front on before yesterday's ride, and I'm on the fence. I think part of it is it just looks so damn wide compared by my very narrow Python. I'll give it some time to see if I like it. It may take some time.

WaW
    Swapping it out for the patched Small Block today. I have two rides on it as a rear, and I'm not a fan. I seem to feel every damn bump. The only reason I mounted it is I had to quickly swap out my tire Saturday a.m., and the Bronson was the only tire I had at the time.

I put the front on before yesterday's ride, and I'm on the fence. I think part of it is it just looks so damn wide compared by my very narrow Python. I'll give it some time to see if I like it. It may take some time.
    Dude...Hutchinson Pythons are so 1990's. Get with the times. Fat is where it's at...especially where you ride in the PMP...unless you ride the mamby-pamby stuff.

Ya...I'm calling you out. Time to man-up and put some real rubber on your bike.

And FWIW...I would hardly consider the Bronson "fat". It's a true 2.2, and that's the narrowest I run on any of my bikes...even my XC race bikes.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Dude...Hutchinson Pythons are so 1990's. Get with the times. Fat is where it's at...especially where you ride in the PMP...unless you ride the mamby-pamby stuff.

Ya...I'm calling you out. Time to man-up and put some real rubber on your bike.

And FWIW...I would hardly consider the Bronson "fat". It's a true 2.2, and that's the narrowest I run on any of my bikes...even my XC race bikes.

Thx...Doug
    Okay, meet me at The Zipper at High Noon for a ride off. (The Zipper is the most tech I'd ever do!!!!!!)

I LOVE the Pythons. I mean, come on, if Dallas can make a comeback....

I'm going to give them a try. With me, who has a mild case of OCD, I'm such a creature of habit. When I look down at the tire, it just looks huge compared to my Python. But who knows, 3 rides in, it may become my new favorite tire.

Master Gardener
    Saguaros are some weak sauce as a front tire.
    They would be acceptable as a rear tire if it weren't for their poor construction and durability.
    This tire is on the rear of my bike and has about 50 miles on it.
    I'm in Prescott.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geax saguaro.-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have had the geax saguaro on my rear 29er. It was cheap at rei like $19. It was horrible to run tubless. I sealed it a few times and after long rides would constantly loose pressure. I have the Maxxis Ikon's now and they rock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Not a Saguaro, but I'm running a Geax AKA tubeless on the rear and never will again. The tread wears fast, loses pressure quickly, and it's a nightmare to get on and off the rim.

How much further ???
    I have been running a Maxxis UST Crossmark as a rear on a couple of my bikes. Ive been very happy with the traction and wear.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    It just plain looks like a good rear tire, it doesnt look knobby enough to be a good front tire. Pribably gonna order one. I love my 2.4" ardent in the front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've had great success with non-TNT Saguaros setup tubeless. I rarely had problems with fast wear, losing pressure, or grip. I'm not going to argue over the physics of the cornering knobs, but I will say that I never had a problem with fast cornering in loose stuff. As far as durability goes... I never had a problem but I usually ride not-too-chunky XC trails. I could see those sidewalls being prone to tears in a really chunky trail. They're my favorite XC tire, though I'm always looking for the next best thing. I've been wanting to try the Maxxis Ikon but the last time I checked, they were a lot more expensive than Saguaros. It probably won't happen for a while because I'm sticking with fatties (2.4) front and rear for the time being as I'm trying to do chunkier trails.

livin' the dream......
    I ran the UST version for 1 year on the back (tore the sidewall) and got 2 years on the front. I replaced them about 5 weeks ago with the TNT version (tubeless set up on DT Swiss wheels). I punctured the rear tire on my second ride and had stans blowing out everywhere.

I replaced the rear with a FastTrack Grid and seem to like that tire so far. I still have the front tire going, we will see how long it lasts. I am running the front for 'traction' and it seems more stable then when I ran it 'speed'

Jury is out if I will by them again. Actually, I am done with them.

EXORCIZE
    I just received a WTB Bronson 2.2 that will replace a non-TNT Saguaro on the front of a geared hardtail with Ikon 2.2 EXO in back. The Bronson has more agressive knobs than the Saguaro, especially side knobs. Weight unknown. Went on a taped Flow rim (too) easily with hands. Bonus: it matches Stan's rim graphics perfectly. Second photo is next to an Ikon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geax saguaro.-bikes-001-30-percent.jpg  

geax saguaro.-bikes-003-30-percent.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Been running schwalbe's and crows for years on 26 then moved to 29 about a year ago- wore out and slashed my crow at the Smithville qualifier on the rear. Then went to the new RR (non snakeskin) with nothing but seeping air which forced me to tube it during a race (-15) ... A good friend handed me a slightly used tnt. So I installed it for grip on the rear with the original version orc 2.4 RR on front. It is an awkward pair and plan on changing things up. The tnt gave me an instant level of confidence with the turtle shell-like sidewall. I ignored looking at the weight knowing this tire would be heavier. After 4 rides i see this is a lighter-beefy confidence tire that rolls fast. This tire (rear/grip direction), for me, gripped too much on the corners, but out performed the aforementioned tires on torquey climbs. I have the non tnt and will put up front rotated for grip and flip the rear for speed. This should balance things out based on my current f/r combo.

I saw the post about the maxxis Icon and would like to get some miles on one or two of those. After all the current issues i have been having with the low wattage tires, I am now opening up to something with more security.

livin' the dream......
    Where did you find that tire in white? I ran white tires on my bmx bike as a kid with blue skyway tuff wheels and it was killer. Would love to run white tires on the 29er.

Members who have read this thread: 0