GC North Rim- Mtbr.com

Thread: GC North Rim

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

GC North Rim

Going to be in the Jacob Lake/Kanab area for several days the first week in September. I know of the AZ trail but are there any others? Thing is, i will be riding solo so I do have some safety concerns.

mtbr member
    May 2007

rainbow rim trail

Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm
    Going to be in the Jacob Lake/Kanab area for several days the first week in September. I know of the AZ trail but are there any others? Thing is, i will be riding solo so I do have some safety concerns.

check out the rainbow rim trail system, not very technical, easy climbs with the exception of a few steep short ups (or downs depending on your direction) and world class views,,,,,,,never crowded so you most likely will be alone,,,,,,,,,a must ride system IMO

pedaller
    +1 for Rainbow Rim
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Rainbow Rim is worthy of an out and back, and has great camping right by the trail. The AZT north of the park is also very good. Make sure to visit the north rim lodge and enjoy a beer on the porch.

Check out this thread for a good taste of what awaits you.

What are your safety concerns? Tell someone your plans and check in on the way home. When I go solo I always give my wife a time after which she'll call in the cavalry. Just don't pull a Ralston.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankarm
    You will not have cell phone coverage with AT&T or Verizon unless you are at the North Rim. Ditto on the AZT section, great stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow. Amazing pics in that link. I've ridden those trails and don't remember them looking THAT good. x2 on camping right on the rim. Bring a shovel & axe.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mfshop
    Wow. Amazing pics in that link. I've ridden those trails and don't remember them looking THAT good. x2 on camping right on the rim. Bring a shovel & axe.
    The trails are not THAT good, but when you add two handsome blokes, the pictures really come to life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Safety concerns? You mean by being so isolated/breakdowns or technicality(word??) of the trails. I too ride lots of solo.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Safety concerns? You mean by being so isolated/breakdowns or technicality(word??) of the trails. I too ride lots of solo.
    technical problems is the word you want.

Save for Rainbow Rim, the AZT is so close to the highway, that you can always just bail and hitchhike there. The east rim mesa on the AZT generally has at least one car in the parking lot too. You will be fine.

oooh, shiny...
    Anyone know what the average temps are at the rainbow rim trail this time of year?

mtbr member
    May 2007

try weather.com plus my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Ry-daddy
    Anyone know what the average temps are at the rainbow rim trail this time of year?
    it's about 1000ft higher than here in Flagstaff so it's usually a bit cooler,,,,,,,,expect high 70's/low 80's until the clouds roll in (hopefully they will) and high 40's at night,,,,,,,,check one of the weather sites for details and forecasts,,,,,,,,,,,monsoon rains are active thru early Sept. take rain gear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rainbow Rim about 75-80 days 50 at night as the cold drains away into the canyon by the rim. Stay at Locust Point, middle of trail. No bathroom or water. 1 mile of camp sites.
    The East Rim Viewpoint is a great piece of the AZ Trail, aspens there, one of the highest sections of the trail, looks like CO.
    Not far from world class Gooseberry Mesa and Little Creek Mountain, JEM and more towards St George.
    The AZ Trail crosses hwy. 89a less than 2 miles east of Jacob Lake, dropping to the Utah state line in 21 miles with 2550' of descending, a ride I hope to do if I can find a shuttle.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0