Gateway Loop - a new perspective- Mtbr.com
    parenting for gnarness

Gateway Loop - a new perspective

it is totally not what it was, but i like the racetrack aspect very much. Power climb up, flow trail down. Hit it at 4pm today. I was mad at first about the sanitation, but given the contrast with Bell and Windgate I am changing my mind. I ride it weekday nights usually, so traffic is not a problem. but i can see stravaholism becoming a weekend problem.

discuss.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

recovering roadie
    I rode it last week and was ok with it. If it means the trail won't become a nasty hike a bike mess, it's worth it. I would clean that section a little more than half the times I rode it before, and I like a challenge. As you said, there are other spots on the mountain that still have that kind of challenge.

Give it a crank
    After the Windgate-Bell double comes East End and Tom's Thumb trails. I can't imagine what the rains did to those two. If I get up early enough, I just might go find out this weekend.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    After the Windgate-Bell double comes East End and Tom's Thumb trails. I can't imagine what the rains did to those two. If I get up early enough, I just might go find out this weekend.
    its been about a year since i rode east end (wow, really??). But I had gotten to the point of only wanting my 6inch bike on it, mostly for the geo and wheelbase more than suspension, vs. my 29er. cant see that changing...and hope it won't, i love the steep scares on that trail.

even the lower stuff coming out of the neighborhoods going up the back way into Windgate (Desert Park, clockwise?) is harder and chunkier now. So again, the changes to Gateway work well as a complement. If the trail managers are keeping that in mind, I definitely want to take back my initial nasty thoughts . I just hope its not more of the lowest common denominator nonsense we've seen at Brown's Ranch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Did you run cw or ccw? The west side was unrideable going up for me. The east was hard enough going up to be fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I rode it clockwise today. Really hot out but I was able to make all the climbs minus one spot. The cleaned up areas offer some rocks to jump off of on the sides now which I always enjoy. Going back and forth from chunder to smooth trail made it a little more difficult to corner but it seemed to be a little flowier.

recovering roadie
    I didn't realize that they rerouted that technical climb up over the saddle. Kind of bummed about it now.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    I didn't realize that they rerouted that technical climb up over the saddle. Kind of bummed about it now.
    i don't believe it was a reroute, just leveled it. afaik

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i don't believe it was a reroute, just leveled it. afaik
    Right. And I, for one, like it. Used to be able to clean that section, but it had degraded so badly that I couldn't get it anymore. Was able to clean it again with the latest "grooming". Still a tough climb. And you know that it is only a matter of time before it is back to it's old state.

recovering roadie
    OK, I rode it up and over the saddle last night. It went from a trail I used to compare to heart attack hill on Mormon Loop to a rather normal climb. I'm not sure I like the change, but it was a nice climb. It's amazing that kind of trail transformation is even possible. How much did they have to pay for that, and was it part of chollaball's tax dollars?

One upside is that it seems more possible to ride over the saddle CCW. I wouldn't have even considered that before.

My other ride is your mom
    are we talking the south side of the saddle with respect to the climb, or the north side?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I always thought the bell side (maads north) was a great climb with the lower tech spots the south side (desert park/windgate) was a fun descent. Ccw was how no always rode it.

Edit: maad I need more of your stoke reports man!!

recovering roadie
    Maad - I climbed it last night clockwise and that's the only direction I've ridden it. So I rode up the north (northwest?) side and down the south/southeast side.

Looking at the Strava map of my ride the Windgate side is more northwest and the Bell side is more southwest.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dobbs View Post
    Looking at the Strava map of my ride the Windgate side is more northwest and the Bell side is more southwest.
    correct.
    the old south climb was, surprisingly, mostly doable. It really was no harder than the other direction, and a far easier approach than up Windgate. The descent was, overall, more challenging too - twas a good route! I almost always ride it CW, however, as Tequila Tree is on the south slope, and then its all downhill to home when i'm really wasted.
    Last edited by chollaball; 09-04-2014 at 10:17 PM.

parenting for gnarness
    windgate\bell dbl deathpass this morning, wow the climbs are harder. They scraped 2 of the habby sections below gateway, and i kinda liked it. i feel dirty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Are the hab sections now just hard uphill pedalling sections or just easier to hab without tripping sections

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Juster hard uphill pedaling sections. They took out all the rocks that made it technical. its faster now though.