Garage Racks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Garage Racks

mtbr member

Garage Racks

Looking to build a garage rack that will hold alot of bikeos and looking for some input/ideas. Definitely needs to be sturdy, keep em organized an outta the way, and want to be able to secure my bikes from tommy robbersons. Pics would be great!
    DDKS

mtbr member
    Please post pics of a big rack here.

mr. wonderful
    Give Ronnie a call.

mtbr member
    Just use 2 X 8's making a square and then put some on the inside for the tires to fit in. Easy and cheap! Leave some space between the tire slats so the handlebars won't hit. Broseph.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    DDKS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Just use 2 X 8's making a square and then put some on the inside for the tires to fit in. Easy and cheap! Leave some space between the tire slats so the handlebars won't hit. Broseph.
    I'm trying to imagine this... but it's not coming to me.

powered by bacon
    you can whip up one of these in about 5 minutes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage Racks-stand.jpg  

caninus xerophilous

Well, chongo asked!

Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Please post pics of a big rack here.
    Just what did he have in mind?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage Racks-giant-moose-rack.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not a Barry supporter.
    Sorry no pic but I hung some 2x4's from my garage rafters and hung some hooks. At one time I have 7 bikes on it but down to 3 now. It's strong enough that I could use it to hoist an engine out of a car. Bikes hang upside down and I've never had an issue with hydro's...well, nothing that hanging upside down has caused.

Not pretty or fancy but gets the rides out of the way so you have plenty of room.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    I did a variation of the PVC rack, holds my three bikes and is actually attached to the wall. I will get you some ics when I get home today...I also can get you the measuremeants. My favorite part is its out of the way and even holds my sons toddler bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DankyCass
    I'm trying to imagine this... but it's not coming to me.
    Here ya go:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage Racks-rack.jpg.jpg  

SHITBIRD

parenting for gnarness
    currently using a 3-bike version of the pvc stand. I've posted some pics on here before but cant find em now. I've had it 2+ yrs, the problems are 1) the pvc glue sometimes fails due to the heat in the garage and constantly getting tugged by the bikes, and 2) variance in your tires - big 2.5 tires and road bike tires can either be too tight or too wobbly.

I'm planning on using the rubbermaid fast rails that you had a pic of. the other thing i considered were the self-standing 2 bike stands.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member

Hooked

I like to keep mine off the ground. It gives me more room to store crap in the garage...
    It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to also attach a steel eye/hoop to the ceiling with a cable attached to lock the bikes up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage Racks-bikerack.jpg  

Garage Racks-bikerack2.jpg  

Last edited by SPIDERS; 04-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

Dave
    Maybe this wants to get an idea of your bike quiver, show just the racks not the bikes.
    phishing for nice bikes
    I need to ride more and work less.

pedaller

What a timely thread!

I'm in the process of trying to figure this one out as well. I'd like to know from those with experience, what are the pros and cons of floor versus wall versus ceiling?

I've been considering wall ideas but maybe I haven't been open to other/better options.

I'm currently using my T2 that sits on the floor as a rack but it takes up a lot of room and I have other bikes that need a place. Kids bikes, trail-a-bikes, etc.

The floor option would work for everything but the trail-a-bikes and if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be permanent. That might make a good trial run...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Fisher Fanattic
    Mar 2010
    wait to do anything until you see what I have, as I said I will post pics when I get home tonight! It is a triangular PVC set up that can be made for a few or a lot of bikes. and attaches to the wall, when bikes are not there it takes up very little space.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg
    I'm in the process of trying to figure this one out as well. I'd like to know from those with experience, what are the pros and cons of floor versus wall versus ceiling?

I've been considering wall ideas but maybe I haven't been open to other/better options.

I'm currently using my T2 that sits on the floor as a rack but it takes up a lot of room and I have other bikes that need a place. Kids bikes, trail-a-bikes, etc.

The floor option would work for everything but the trail-a-bikes and if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be permanent. That might make a good trial run...
    Must be that time of the year. Just this last weekend, I was looking for some DIY plans for the racks I see out at 24HOP. I currently have one similar to the one Helimech has. But we need to find space for 7 bikes, so hanging our bikes is not an option. I just stuck the rack in the corner of the garage, and the bikes fit very nicely.

I would like to build something that allows you to hang from the seat to bring to races for easy storage.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Two wheels are better
    I have always wondered if there is any problems with the hanging racks that use the wheel? Seems like it could cause it to go out of true??
    "There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedstealth
    I have always wondered if there is any problems with the hanging racks that use the wheel? Seems like it could cause it to go out of true??
    No, think of it this way. With it sitting on it's tires like normal, there are 20-40 pounds of bike weight on the wheels. With it hanging upside down, there's still the same 20-40 pounds on those wheels, just in a different direction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Which ever rack you decide, In addition put a anchor bolt in your cement floor and run a cable through your bike to deter thieves. ( i got pics of this set up but cant figure out how to post them.) Help anybody?
    Last edited by canyondave; 04-06-2010 at 07:32 PM.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    simple and effective: 2x6's anchored into the studs with evenly spaced bike hooks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Garage Racks-garage-bike-rack.jpg  

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by canyondave
    Which ever rack you decide, In addition put a anchor bolt in your cement floor and run a cable through your bike to deter thieves. ( i got pics of this set up but cant figure out how to post them.) Help anybody?
    I wanted to do this but my garage has a post-tension slab. Big no-no to drill into it. I also happen to know that the OP has the same issue.

Lust4boyz, why don't you just build a rack like mine (similar to pitch's)? THEN just put a big photo of your MOM'S horrendous face on the wall.....that will scare ANYBODY away!!
    JRA