full face helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

full face helmet

Does anyone in the Phoenix area wear a full face helmet for general trail riding? I am just curious because I am considering one. I am a newbie and I really think it would help my confidence level in some areas. I am just always worried I am going to wash out at the wrong moment and hit my face or an unprotected portion of my head on one of the many jagged rocks we have out here.

dirt visionary
    yup and I am not newbie but probably one of the only ones..I used to wear a half lid for normal riding but it only took one unexpected wash out and crash to change my mind..Also over the years I seem to have worse crashes while I am JRA vs. pinning the local dh/fr stuff
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Depending on the trail, I do. If its anything I can carry speed on I'll wear a FF. Anything rocky I'll wear it too. I have better things to do than break a jaw riding my bike.

Vitamin Bike Added
    just picked one up for anything serious. I'd use it for anything seriously technical or high speed. Would even like it to bomb down natty but too hot to climb in most days.
    Keep the rubber side down

dirt visionary
    Thats why I have a specialized deviant..Very open , lots of vents and light..Basically an over engineered xc lid with full protection..Although the newer deviants are much bulkier and a bit heavier now.

mtbr member
    Kali FF helmets are light/well vented too.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

dirt visionary
    They are light but well vented? I guess we have differet views of whats vented .

Kali

deviant

Dianetics Junior
    I saw on another thread that some cats were rolling with these parachute helmets...I don't own one or have any experience with them but they definitely look way more open for ventilation....

met parachute helmet....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails full face helmet-met-parachute-helmet-12-zoom.jpg  

N/A
    Feb 2004
    @CW - You seem to have a lot of experience with this. Have you noticed a big difference in the breathe-ability of different designs? (Not counting the MET - I've seen those and don't personally like them.)

I picked up a 661 Evo a few years ago (getting old, no longer feel invincible) but could never get used to it. I just couldn't breathe on steep climbs like the widow-maker and would end up stopping & walking where I normally clean the climbs. After several months of trying, I ended up strapping it on my back on the climbs & putting it back on at the top. Is something like the Deviant much more breathable? I'm not as concerned with the helmet being hot, just that the chin bar restricts air flow.

I like the idea of more protection but I've never crashed on my face in 20 years of riding. I rarely use the FF anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I recently purchased a Sixsixone Comp II FF helmet...Its so light and well vented I have been wearing it even when doing the local not-so-difficult rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    I saw on another thread that some cats were rolling with these parachute helmets...I don't own one or have any experience with them but they definitely look way more open for ventilation....

met parachute helmet....

I came across these a while back. They're made overseas somewhere and they don't import them because the safety standards are different, but there is a vendor that sells them on ebay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    They are light but well vented? I guess we have differet views of whats vented .

Kali

deviant
    well they are when compared to my pryme, which has none. That deviant looks like it good.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Back in the day Giro made one similar to the Met. I just got rid of my old one a few months ago. I wish they'd revise them and put them back in production. It's probably only a matter of time with the enduro format races popping up. They'd be perfect for that!

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz View Post
    @CW - You seem to have a lot of experience with this. Have you noticed a big difference in the breathe-ability of different designs? (Not counting the MET - I've seen those and don't personally like them.)

I picked up a 661 Evo a few years ago (getting old, no longer feel invincible) but could never get used to it. I just couldn't breathe on steep climbs like the widow-maker and would end up stopping & walking where I normally clean the climbs. After several months of trying, I ended up strapping it on my back on the climbs & putting it back on at the top. Is something like the Deviant much more breathable? I'm not as concerned with the helmet being hot, just that the chin bar restricts air flow.

I like the idea of more protection but I've never crashed on my face in 20 years of riding. I rarely use the FF anymore.
    You bet ..anything other than my deviants and I am in hell lol..I have tried with my other helmets . Fox V3 , fox pilot, tld d2 and the new deviant as pictured above..Out of them all the new deviant was the best but still not as good as my older style deviants which have a longer front on them so no rebreathing hot air like the others..Color also helps my white deviant is much cooler than the black in the summer.

I have no issues pedaling up natty , morman , pass mountain , picket post with my deviant on a heavy bike. I don't crash all too often but its not the dh/fr crashes that end up getting me as I am ready for those its the xc/am crashes that get me unexpectedly .

In the end I look at it as it only takes once for those 1 in a million shots and in the last few years I have see that one in a million happen to alot more riders than I would have thought including myself.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys. The deviant looks like a nice helmet. I have also considered the 661 FF helmets too. I don't mind the extra heat on the trail as long as my head is safe. I'd rather be a little hotter and look funny than be a vegetable for the rest of my life from a small mishap.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I have an old dirt bike full face, did the job back in the day when I raced DH but it weighed a ton. Just in case you were thinking of going cheaper don't go that route buy a full face for bicycles, the wieght will make a huge difference and you will enjoy the ride a lot more, especially if it's just for general riding. Nothing wrong with it, it's worth is when you really need it. I seen some nasty face plants that would have saved a lot of hospital bills.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    No, I will definately be buying a mtb specific helmet. There are some things I don't skimp on and safety is one of them. I really like that Deviant helmet even though I ride a Jamis. The Kali looks good too and I was also checking out the Urge Down-o-matic helmet.

mtbr member
    Tough to make a blind purchase on something like this. Any place in town that has Deviant II helmets in stock?

ben

mtbr member
    I live down the road from DNA cycles on 99th and McDowell and last time I was there I didn't see any.

mtbr member
    bump

Meatbomb
    now .. why did I know you were going to say that ?

dirt visionary
    SMC might have them ..DNA in Mesa also might have one on hand also.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I own a Giro Remedy, which is relatively light and breathable ... for a full-face helmet. Clearly others have had different results, but the couple times I've tried, I've had little success completing extended technical climbs while wearing it.

As others suggested, it's not the weight or the heat, it's the restricted airflow/breathing that does me in.

mtbr member
    I use a SixSix One Comp Shifted for all-mountain and downhill riding.

What I do with fullface helmets is remove/cut out the side foam around the cheeks. Makes it almost at cool as half-shell helmet but yet provides full face protection, also makes it easier to take off and on.

Ow!
    Well, I ride in the Tucson area, but I think it is about the same as Phoenix (hot weather and rocky trails?). I almost always wear a MET Parachute when I ride, probably 95% of the time. It is almost as cool as an open lid, but with a little more protection. It is a XC helmet, which you can see in hand. I also have the old style Deviant. A little more protection, but definitely not as cool. And when I feel especially tough, I wear my Giro Remedy--a great FF, but very hot (only use in the cooler months).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had a bad crash that ended with my face and body looking like crap, just last week on DC by the Desert Foothills PKWY entrance (I was going too fast down one of the drops). So I ran out and bought a Troy Lee D2 which was just too hot, I couldn't breathe. I settled on a MET Parachute I got on ebay that should be arriving Monday. Clydecrash, have you ever crashed with the Parachute on?

Ow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    Clydecrash, have you ever crashed with the Parachute on?
    No, I have not (knock on my head). Funny thing, I am taking more chances as time goes by since using the Met and knee/elbow protection, but haven't had a bad crash to actually use them. I think the Universe is saving it up for a big one.

But reports I have read are that the Parachute provides adequate protection for XC-type crashes (slower speed and not extremely technical). I read some reports from people that used it for downhill and freeride, and it didn't provide much. I haven't ridden DC (Desert Classic?) for many years, but I do not remember any big drops. From what I remember, the Parachute is more than adequate for the DC, but it isn't for going fast on big drops. I do 1-3 foot drops when I wear mine, but it is not fast (are slower drops).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Okay great, thanks. Ya there isn't much in the way of drops on the DC, just a few fast descents at the beginning. I went flat, banged my rim on a rock at the top and flew down to the bottom. I think I'll be happy with the Parachute then. Hopefully I won't get laughed at for having a FF on the DC, people aren't very nice on it. But I'd rather be laughed at that have a broken jaw. I'm fairly new to this (I used to road bike).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    Okay great, thanks. Ya there isn't much in the way of drops on the DC, just a few fast descents at the beginning. I went flat, banged my rim on a rock at the top and flew down to the bottom. I think I'll be happy with the Parachute then. Hopefully I won't get laughed at for having a FF on the DC, people aren't very nice on it. But I'd rather be laughed at that have a broken jaw. I'm fairly new to this (I used to road bike).
    My thoughts exactly. I am all about protecting my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Lovin my TLD D3 Carbon, saved my butt on a nasty Holbert crash, if only my ribs had that kind of protection. Also VERY well ventilated and light................

Si vales, valeo.

THE T2 Composite FF

I have one of these, which is definitely hotter than a XC lid, but I don't have any problem breathing (like some here have mentioned).

"An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

Members who have read this thread: 0